At what distances do you practice?

This is a discussion on At what distances do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright guys you are stealing my quotes but you are both right. You will not dictate the situation the bad guy will and all it ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: At what distances do you practice?

VIP Member
    Alright guys you are stealing my quotes but you are both right.

You will not dictate the situation the bad guy will and all it takes is one guy who did not read guns and ammo, get the memo or read the flipchart to leave a permanent mark.
    MikeNice likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Sorry to disagree. There has never been in my 70 years and there never will be a case where I will be aiming my firearm at something that is say more than 10 yards away (10 is IMO about it for distance) to end a threat--it just is not imminent and, quite frankly, at those kind of longer distances, I cannot even be sure what is REALLY going on. I think we are talking "what if" here and it is always out there. Personally, "what if" is a phrase for this thread and not for me in real life. As I said, 70 years and no what ifs or anything approaching one.

Inside of my sub 1,600sqft house I have a worst case scenario shot of about 12 yards. At that distance I would be stopping an intruder from entering my child's room. To me that is about as iminent a threat as you can get.

In the real world I had to draw on two men attempting a home invasion next door. They were attempting to enter the home of my 80+ year old invalid neighbor. Luckily I had a rifle on hand. However, the distance was definitely closer to thirty-five yards than ten. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

VIP Member
    Kelcarry. I have nothing but respect for your age and wisdom. In todays world though there is no telling where or what distance the threat will come from.

Inside my home I have a ten yard shot across my living room one wall to the other. From my bedroom door to the hallway door leading to the kids room is 17 yards, so myself and others have to train for further distances. I know this simply because I just bought new carpet for the house.

My questions are these. If the distance was 11, 12 13.8 yards what would you do? If the bad guy engages you at 11.3 yards would he be safe?

I simply train for whatever may come up. If it never does fantastic no harm, no foul but if it does I know I have done everything in my power to prepare for it. Again not saying anything bad towards you or your level of training it simply differs from mine. I will say be careful about using the word "Never" I have found that Karma can come back and bite you in the butt.
    9mmHP likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Tacman, given your scenario, I would take the shot. The reason is that he may shoot my wife, and me if I comply. A fifteen yard shot at half a head is very doable. The hammer is down on his weapon which indicates that he has a DA trigger stroke to pull off, and even if he has a nerve reaction from my bullet destroying his brain tissue, it probably won't be enough to overcome that pull.

If I comply, then we are at his mercy and goodwill. I can't trust that, but I can trust myself.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Gman. You are correct you either take the shot or trust him not to hurt your wife or yourself. But then again he may give his word, pinky swear and cross his heart to.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Alright guys you are stealing my quotes but you are both right.

You will not dictate the situation the bad guy will and all it takes is one guy who did not read guns and ammo, get the memo or read the flipchart to leave a permanent mark.
    Yep...Couldnt resist....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Generally 10-25 yards. Practice draw, alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not skilled enough to send rounds out to 50 yards with my edc but I'll continue making the the ammo manufacturers happy until I am. I carry because of those what ifs I see in news daily.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" - Samuel Adams

Most of my training is 25 yards and under, I focus on speed and accuracy.
    Being able to draw from a CC aspect.
    If you want to push the limits of your EDC, I would shoot silhouette, something around 9" out to say 50 yards your talking combat accurate and will be going for mid torso.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links