Went shooting with Three Feathers Sunday.

This is a discussion on Went shooting with Three Feathers Sunday. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went shooting with Sgt. Dan and his padawan, Vicki, who has more shooting qualifications than Mas Ayoob. Ok, maybe not that many but impressive. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Went shooting with Three Feathers Sunday.

Distinguished Member

Went shooting with Sgt. Dan and his padawan, Vicki, who has more shooting qualifications than Mas Ayoob. Ok, maybe not that many but impressive. I made the mistake of taking a full semester of grad classes with a full-time job last fall and range shooting took a back seat, along with exercise, for six long months! Here are some interesting observations I made for that day:

1. You don't pick up where you left off. The first hour was downright horrible.
    2. I need to train and dry fire my .45 before making it an EDC.
    3. Pulling shots consistently to the left - anticipating the shot and "pushing" with my right hand as I squeezed a round off.
    4. Did some nice "walking" and then surprise shooting at one of three targets when the whistle blew. Good training.
    5. Was seriously considering selling my Sig 232 and getting into a pocket carry nine to have the same ammo as my EDC. The Sig shot marvelously and I was surprised that my best shots-on-target was with that little Sig. It's a keeper.
    6. Still love my H&K P30 as my EDC. What a fine workhorse.
    7. Learned a BIG lesson about old ammo. I had about two dozen hollow points that I paid a premium price for - eight years ago! I decided it was about time I shoot them up. Oh, man, the only FTF I ever had with the P30. And it was a beaut. Shell casing stuck in the chamber. Dan had to bang open the slide just to get at the shell. Took a rod and stuck it down the barrel until it finally punched out. And that was the ammo that was going to defend me in a life and death situation. Stupid! Just to save a few bucks.
    8. Got to shoot my first Springfield 03. Boom! Not for the faint-hearted. Also got to shoot some highfalutin, super expense, sniper rifle. That was one rifle you did not snug your eye into the scope. Also learned how to hold a sniper rifle - strange!
    9. Another stupid move: Put a "seven +1" extension on my shotty. BUT, I never fired it (school, remember?). Spring quit on me three times. And that was going to defend me and my family at home? Stupid! I know better. I really do.
    10. Dan took some side profile pics with Vicki instructing me. Wind was up range, profiling me. Oh, Lord, have I put some weight on this year. I looked like I was well into my second trimester. Doc gave me a thumbs up for serious exercise last week. Time to hit the track. Ugh, again.

All in all, a great day "at the beach". Lessons learned. Notes taken. Diet started. Good to be back on the range.
    Last edited by aznav; March 6th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Wow that was quite a busy day!
    Sounds like a pretty awesome learning experience!

Good luck on the weight drop also. The hardest part is just getting started.

Just eat clean with alot of protein while avoiding all that processed/packaged food.
    A good quality protein supplement will help repair those sore muscles after a vigorous workout.
    I buy the 5 lbs containers of the Double Rich Chocolate - Gold Standard Whey - from Optimum Nutrition.
    Tastes just like Chocolate Milk... I actually look forward to the shake after my workouts.

Lost 35+ pounds since last August (207lbs down to 168lbs) with a lot of cardio plus some weights.

Amazon.com: Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound: Health & Personal Care
    aznav likes this.

What no pics?

A saying comes to mind. A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work. And you really didn't even have a bad day.
    aznav likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Wow that was quite a busy day!
    Sounds like a pretty awesome learning experience!

Good luck on the weight drop also. The hardest part is just getting started.

Just eat clean with alot of protein while avoiding all that processed/packaged food.
    A good quality protein supplement will help repair those sore muscles after a vigorous workout.
    I buy the 5 lbs containers of the Double Rich Chocolate - Gold Standard Whey - from Optimum Nutrition.
    Tastes just like Chocolate Milk... I actually look forward to the shake after my workouts.

Lost 35+ pounds since last August (207lbs down to 168lbs) with a lot of cardio plus some weights.

Amazon.com: Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound: Health & Personal Care

Holy cow! Good on you, Mate! I weigh 207! My "fighting" weight is 187. Thanks for those tips. Seriously!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    What no pics?

A saying comes to mind. A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work. And you really didn't even have a bad day.
    Picky, picky!

Tom firing .jpgTom.shooting.jpg

First pic is shooting the '03 (that's "1903" ), second is trying to gunsmith my shotty spring. No luck.
    shooterX likes this.

Distinguished Member
    PS. Oh, forgot to mention. I have two Sport Guide 700 lumen tac lights on the shotgun and the AR15. I purposely wanted to see how they survived a couple dozen rounds. I was genuinely surprised that they stayed on and also did not come loose. Sarge told me that Sporting Guide's tac lights are really Fenix. Don't know if that's true since Sarge is such a b-s'er. Juuuust kidding, Sarge. That's one thing he's not.

PPS. I shot a dozen or more rounds with home defense 00 buckshot. Saints preserve us! My shoulder was absolutely killing me. I can't remember a kick quite like that.

VIP Member
    Looks like a nice day at the range. I haven't plowed the 2 feet of snow yet to get to ours.
    aznav likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Sounds like a fun day

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Looks like a nice day at the range. I haven't plowed the 2 feet of snow yet to get to ours.
    I can't believe I'm moving back to that. What we do for grandkids! (oh, and a job, too).

Dan and Vicki are both great instructors. But Vicki is much better looking.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Dan and Vicki are both great instructors. But Vicki is much better looking.
    Why, I never noticed.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Vicki of Gator Farm Tactical instructing AZNAV.
    shooterX likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    home, home im de-ranged

well part way anyways...

---one upside from threefeathers pic i picked up is at least you guys did not
    have to shovel any snow to get to the targets.
    is that cause of the AZ location by chance?
    aznav likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    No, but the Mexican border is 800 meters behind us.

Sounds like a great day to remember aznav. Glad you had a great time, and getting back up to speed.
    aznav likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links