Where do you practice?

Where do you practice?

This is a discussion on Where do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I was doing a little searching and I couldn't find a poll on the subject, so I thought I'd make one. I was ...

View Poll Results: Where do you practice handgun shooting?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • At my home range.

32 24.81%
  • At a friend's home range.

9 6.98%
  • Local indoor range.

56 43.41%
  • Local outdoor range.

56 43.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where do you practice?

Where do you practice?

Hey everyone, I was doing a little searching and I couldn't find a poll on the subject, so I thought I'd make one. I was wondering where most of y'all practice/train (specifically handguns). I'm not talking about where you go for instruction, I mean just in your spare or leisurely time.

So, do you practice at a home range, a friend's home range, an indoor shooting range, or an outdoor shooting range?

I spend most of my practice time between two local ranges (both indoor), and every couple weeks I go up to my buddy's farm. It's kind of a bummer, because there aren't any ranges in my area that allow you to draw and fire, and the same goes for practicing tactical reloads. They're fine with them, but I practice mine the way Travis Haley/Chris Costa and a few others have spoken about, that is with the gun in my "workspace", at eye level, at an angle.

I was criticized for doing this once at the range because my gun wasn't pointed straight down-range, even though my finger was off the trigger and the gun wasn't pointed anywhere near the firing line. I understand the reasoning behind these policies and have respected them since, but not being able to draw and fire and tac-reload at the range feels like it detracts from my training.

Anyway, I'm interested to know where you guys practice/train!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

My local Gun range is easy to join....$10 per year open year round but you have to wade thru snow in the winter months. Not so much a problem this year. They offer a skeet shooting range as well as a rifle/handgun range.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I voted local indoor range, but they have outdoor facilities as well. I went yesterday and put 150 rounds through the Glock 30. I can shoot as long as I want for $12 bucks, which I think is reasonable.

They don't allow any draw and fire, etc. which is a shame, but I fully understand why. It is almost a certainty that one fool would come along and ruin it for everyone. I'm sure their liability insurance is high enough as it is.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I use local outdoor ranges, indoor ranges, desert, military ranges. So I didn't know which one to vote for

It isn't a home range, but it is on property my family owns.

I was a member at a local club, but never renewed because the other members were a bunch of asses.

Could'nt vote ,you were biased to L.E.O,at our local P.D. range

Local P.D range....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Local outdoor club, $ 185.00 per year plus work hours

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Local outdoor club, $ 185.00 per year plus work hours
    185 a year!!!!! Plus slave labor! OMG. I shoot on my land. Inlcuding long guns. I also am a member of a local outdoor range also which I hardly go to. Nothing fancy but 25 dollars a year. Includes ffishing. No RSO's. Can shoot surise to sunset. Big boy rules. Nobody has ever been hurt that I know of. Only problem we have had is if some yahoo shows up and is not a member and they start doing stupid things. But they are run off quickly. You have to have a current membership card.

Trap twice a week also. 5 bucks.

VIP Member
    Outside my back door for shots up to 100 yards, out to the farm for shots out to 1000.
    DRM likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Local range. The nicest one I've ever stepped foot in:

BluCore Shooting Center

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    185 a year!!!!! Plus slave labor! OMG. I shoot on my land. Inlcuding long guns. I also am a member of a local outdoor range also which I hardly go to. Nothing fancy but 25 dollars a year. Includes ffishing. No RSO's. Can shoot surise to sunset. Big boy rules. Nobody has ever been hurt that I know of. Only problem we have had is if some yahoo shows up and is not a member and they start doing stupid things. But they are run off quickly. You have to have a current membership card.

Trap twice a week also. 5 bucks.
    It is slave labor but It is a great club with a lot of older members and I have to step up cause these guys won't be around forever. Club lets me deer hunt on the property and they are expanding. We got a new pistol range, club house and rebuilt the pits last year! It sounds bad but I enjoy it and I am willing to pay my dues and put in my hours.

VIP Member
    I've seen enough stupid at public ranges. I feel more endangered there, than I do at a gas station on the wrong side of town.

Now, I drive up to an hour to get to some remote property where I can do whatever I want, as well as stretch the legs on the rifles. It's a nice day-trip for me and my son.

I have a closer piece of land that's safe for handguns. It is an incredible luxury to be able to practice drawing, as well as not having to worry about the other guy. It's also invaluable to be able to shoot things besides paper targets. You really get a better feel for ballistics when you can shoot at/through various barriers and materials.
    DRM likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    a reason my range has a 9 month wait is it allows us to do as you wish--except for that re-load you described.

would you want to be tall and in the port your muzzle is pointing toward, with only a plywood wall between ua??

cross draw is not allowed unless you have been quailifed and than only at the end port and untill someone says something.
    so its mostly when your alone. perhaps 1 time in 3
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    It is slave labor but It is a great club with a lot of older members and I have to step up cause these guys won't be around forever. Club lets me deer hunt on the property and they are expanding. We got a new pistol range, club house and rebuilt the pits last year! It sounds bad but I enjoy it and I am willing to pay my dues and put in my hours.
    The part in BOLD is all that matters
    oneshot likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links