Decent Disparity of Force Read

This is a discussion on Decent Disparity of Force Read within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The discussion on the current Shoot-Don't Shoot Thread brings this posting from another site to mind: A Lesson in Disparity of Force......

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Elk Hunter
  • 2 Post By W9HDG
  • 1 Post By 1911_Kimber
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Decent Disparity of Force Read

VIP Member

Decent Disparity of Force Read

The discussion on the current Shoot-Don't Shoot Thread brings this posting from another site to mind:
    A Lesson in Disparity of Force...
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    When I answered the other thread No, it made me think of what ifs, and thinking of something like this. If I were being attacked or someone else, what would I do. I know I will get flamed by some who will watch as a group of thugs kill or maim someone, but I believe I would have to help. In this case using the voice I would try to get them to stop, pray they scatter like the rats they are. Their reaction determines my next step, if they come after me I think it would be easy defend myself. If they just keep after the guy the decision gets harder. "STOP I HAVE A GUN AND WILL SHOOT YOU." Again using the voice!! No warning shots are not a part of my program. Shoot a couple and see what happens? How many do you shoot before there is no longer a disparity of force.

OK boys and girls fire away
    Hopyard and 1911_Kimber like this.

This one....Shoot
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The story mentioned in the linked piece (Dad who shielded daughter in attack at Valleyfair recovering, wife says | StarTribune.com) may give us reason to think about the 'what ifs', but the final disposition of the cases (Valleyfair beaters get a verbal lashing from judge | StarTribune.com) is enough to drive one nutty.

The situation, occurring in a amusement park filled with families, would have made a defensive decision veeeery difficult for a person carrying a firearm.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

This one without a doubt Shoot! And any able bodied onlookers should be ashamed of themselves for not stepping in and helping.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    The situation, occurring in a amusement park filled with families, would have made a defensive decision veeeery difficult for a person carrying a firearm.
    I have to agree with your there, but I'm sure there were more that 8 witnesses, I'm sure those witnesses could've helped.

As I posted in the other thread... There is no way I could just be a witness to something like this... I would most certainly intervene.
    W9HDG likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Conflicting reports of those involved.

First article said the daughter was 12, the link from ArkhmAsylum said she was 15.
    First article said she was slapped on the butt.
    Second said she was "tapped" on the head with a blow up BBall Bat.???

At any rate, these knuckledraggers would have headed for the tall grass as soon as the first one fell, leaving him for the coroner.
    I'd have likely began shooting, when they began regrouping, cause you know they aren't going to leave until your on the ground.
    Last edited by oneshot; March 10th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

AOK
    At a minimum I am moving my family, giving firm verbal commands, my right hand is on the gun and my off hand is in a fence position. If things don't improve or progress in the wrong directions, I'm drawing.

Regarding the blog...... I would not keep the gun at a 45 degree angle as the author suggest. In a situation such as this we don't just need to be aware of the background but also the foreground. If little Billy at the fair runs by we may muzzle sweep him or he could even run into your arms/hands and possibly dislodge the firearm. While there are some ready or safe positions that may make sense in this situation, the low ready as described in this blog is not one of them IMO.

Attacked by 8 misfits? Like in China, shoot the first few in line...the rest will scatter.
    DON'T touch my grandchildren, my wife, or me...I'm too old to be wrestling around the parking lot.
    This is why I carry when I go to Disney here in Orlando (an 'extra' mag town). Safe in the park, but you still have to walk from and back to the car.

Eight thugs against a couple with kids? Lots of disparity of force there.:brutal:

These kinds of dirtbags are EXACTLY what Uncle Ted was referring to when he stated, "I don't like repeat offenders, just dead offenders!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    At a minimum I am moving my family, giving firm verbal commands, my right hand is on the gun and my off hand is in a fence position. If things don't improve or progress in the wrong directions, I'm drawing.

Regarding the blog...... I would not keep the gun at a 45 degree angle as the author suggest. In a situation such as this we don't just need to be aware of the background but also the foreground. If little Billy at the fair runs by we may muzzle sweep him or he could even run into your arms/hands and possibly dislodge the firearm. While there are some ready or safe positions that may make sense in this situation, the low ready as described in this blog is not one of them IMO.
    The best position in this situation is the one which puts the little red light squarely on the lead idiot's chest.
    W9HDG likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -

Situations like this one are exactly what ammo manufacturers had in mind when they developed their buck-and-a-quarter-a-squeeze personal defense rounds.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I have to agree with your there, but I'm sure there were more that 8 witnesses, I'm sure those witnesses could've helped.

I wholeheartedly agree. The bystanders should be almost as ashamed as the parents of these loser thugs.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Don't forget that the mama and family of each of the scumbags had they been shot would all say what a good boy he was and worked two jobs to support his family and was turning his life around etc., etc. I'm so sick and tired of this BS.
    I agree, the bystanders should have gotten involved. Maybe even one with had a ccw and pulled it the yellow ba****ds would have taken notice and run.
    What the heck kinda laws do they have up there anyway. One of the punks was arrested for carrying a gun without a permit in a public place. The article said is was a misdemeanor. Isn't that a felony most places?
    As is the case so often, another crime happened in court. Absolute minimun sentences. A man may be maimed for life and his 8(!) attackers get minimal time. The most they coulda got was a year and a day! Criminal. Bet the ranch on it, they'll keep going until they kill someone b4 the system does what's right to them.
    I think the whipping post would have been appropriate in this situation followed with assault by clubs until they were injured to the extent of their victim. That way they'll know how it feels. After all, they drew first blood. That would have been a good lesson for them and all others considering similar crimes - Don't Do It! I'm boiling mad!!!! (Can't you tell?)

Links