Looking for advice regarding shooting accuracy

This is a discussion on Looking for advice regarding shooting accuracy within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by irish51 "Would it not be wise, therefore, to face facts squarely and set to work to find out how best to develop ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for advice regarding shooting accuracy

Lightbulb Point Shooting Using Sights

Quote Originally Posted by irish51 View Post
    "Would it not be wise, therefore, to
    face facts squarely and set to work to find out how
    best to develop instinctive aiming to the point of
    getting results under combat conditions ?"

SHOOTING TO LIVE
    WITH THE ONE-HAND GUN
    by
    CAPTAIN WILLIAM FAIRBARN
    AND
    CAPTAIN ERIC ANTHONY SYKES
    Paladin Press

This appears to have been originally published in 1942 and draws on the authors experience in training US and British commando and special intelligence forces in the period leading up to the American involvement in WWII.

http://www.specops.pl/vortal/download/files/shooting_to_live.pdf
    No. I realize I am re-opening the classic debate about unaimed point shooting, but here goes anyway.

I suggest the chapter on point shooting in Massad Ayoob's "The Gun Digest Book of Handgunnery, 6th Edtion" for a discussion (with pictures) of bringing the handgun up into your line of sight, as Col. Rex Applegate demonstrates in pictures in the book.

Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery (9780896895256): Massad Ayoob: Books

I also suggest you learn about Col. Jeff Cooper's "Flash Sight Picture".

This is one of those areas where many years of target shooting has left you superbly equipped with skills that carry over directly into the self-defense realm. You already know how to establish a consistent grip on the handgun and how to bring the handgun up into your line of sight. Practice drawing the handgun from a holster (or just picking it up off a table) and raising the gun to point at a target pinned to the wall (or whatever target you want). Do this 100 times with your eyes open. Then start trying the exact same action with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes you will find that your sights are either very precisely on target or just barely off target (but plenty close to get a good self-defense hit). Use a human-sized target. With just a little practice you will find that you bring your handgun up in just the right place, one-handed or two-handed. You get to harvest the several thousand hours you have spent target shooting and learning to raise and lower your target handgun to have it be on target. Your sporting clays practice will similarly stand you in good stead for use with a self-defense shotgun or rifle. (This technique does not work well for those who do not have extensive practice as target shooters.)

I suggest glowing night sights for all your self-defense handguns. Col. Applegate developed his technique of what he called point shooting for shooting in the unlit alleys of Hong Kong at night with iron sights and no rail-mounted accessory lights. That was before the invention of glowing night sights. That was also before the invention of rails on handguns. That was before the invention of high-output lights on rails on handguns. Happily, glowing night sights work perfectly with Col. Applegate's point shooting technique of raising your handgun into your line-of-sight. All the same ideas about just-good-enough sloppy sight alignment and front-sight-on-meat apply with night sights and very dimly lit situations. Remember, you have to be able to identify your target since you are a law-abiding citizen. Col. Applegate and crew worked under very different rules of engagement.

For a home-defense gun, I suggest a high-capacity gun with a rail plus a combination light and laser. You need a light to be certain your have properly identified your target. A laser works superbly once you have identified your target. Remember, you *must* identify your target. You can't just blaze away in the dark at unidentified targets in the gloom in the fashion that Col. Applegate's paramilitary policemen could, back in the day.

If your purse permits, I suggest the acquisition of Airsoft (compressed gas) plastic-pellet shooting handgun to match the model of your actual self-defense handgun. With an Airsoft replica and a paper target you can practice everything from shooting in the dark to shooting while running around. The Airsoft is especially useful for learning how to shoot while running, ducking, tumbling, etc., if your local range does not permit rapid fire or shooting while getting off the X. You can even shoot yourself and/or your training partner(s) with an Airsoft. Wear a cup and good eye protection (the paint ball guys have extensive and inexpensive head coverings that protect your eyes from an Airsoft pellet coming from the rear and bouncing off the inside of your eyeglasses into your eyeball).

As you are a target shooter, I suspect that you are familiar with the drill of actually watching your bullet proceed downrange. With a target pellet gun you can see the pellet in its flight. With a handgun or a rifle you can frequently see the bullet's contrail as the bullet proceeds from muzzle to target. With a shotgun you can see the wad make its way toward the target. With an Airsoft gun firing a brightly colored plastic pellet you can see every shot's trajectory. White and orange pellets work particularly well for me, but the light green pellets work acceptably and there are even luminsecent pellets you can see when you shoot your Airsoft in total darkness.

Col. Applegate had access to none of this modern technology when he developed his point shooting techniques.

Your electronic shot timer will work with your Airsoft, as the Airsoft makes enough percussive noise to trigger the microphone of an electronic shot timer (at least it does with mine).

My electronic shot timer talked me out of my early enthusiasm for unaimed point shooting. I shoot higher scores on multiple targets faster using Col. Applegate's method of raising the handgun into my line of sight to my target (with just a super quick visual image of the front sight being somewhere in the general vicinity of the rear sight's groove) than I do with any of the assorted styles of unaimed point shooting.

Remember also that Col. Applegate's paramilitary police were not legally responsible for their unaimed bullets striking innocents down range. You are fully and legally responsible and liable for the results of your misses.

The only time I would recommend that one fire a completely unaimed shot would be if my attacker and I were belly-button-to-belly-button, in which case a snubby revolver jammed into his/her ribs would be appropriate.
    Last edited by marcclarke; March 14th, 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Fix spelling errors.

2. Remove Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links