NRA instructors: what insurance do you carry?

This is a discussion on NRA instructors: what insurance do you carry? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I anticipate taking an NRA Instructor's course this summer. It occurs to me that insurance would probably be a good idea, both for the classroom ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: NRA instructors: what insurance do you carry?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

I anticipate taking an NRA Instructor's course this summer. It occurs to me that insurance would probably be a good idea, both for the classroom and range as I teach, and for the 'sue 'em all' attorneys that might come after me if a student of mine were involved in a shooting some time down the road.

I've heard that no NRA instructors who followed NRA course materials have ever been successfully sued, though I could imagine court costs might be horrendous - do insurance policies cover that, too? (Disclaimer: my info was from a pretty old post.)

So - what would you recommend? And for how long? If I teach just one class, do I need to keep the liability insurance forever? I would appreciate details if you have an insurance provider you wish to suggest, too.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Another type of insurance most gun owners don't consider is personal liability insurance, that would cover self defense occurrences. In some states, you may be protected from civil liability suits after a legal shooting, under the criminal code. In other states, like NY, you can be found not guilty in a criminal court but then be sued in civil court. Most people don't know that a standard homeowners insurance policy, at least in NY state, excludes coverage for intentional acts, which includes self defense actions. Most personal umbrella policy's also include this exclusion. I am an insurance agent licensed in NY and PA. I am also a gun owner myself. When I went looking for a good self defense insurance policy I first checked out the NRA endorsed one. What I found disappointed me, so I sought after and found an insurance carrier willing to offer this coverage for about half the price of the NRA endorsed coverage, with much better coverage terms (covers many more self defense occurrences with many less exclusions) and starts out with four times the limit of liability! My point is, don't overlook your day to day personal liability when owning a firearm! Most insurance agents never address this issue, and that is very unfortunate! Other agents simply do not have the carriers willing to accept this kind of exposure. Don't think that just because you know your states laws, and that if you use your firearm you will do so legally for self defense, that you will not be sued in civil court. Due to the high cost of good self defense attorneys, and the possible large damages an anti gun jury may award, proper personal liability insurance should be a must for gun owners. ( that is unless you refuse to use your firearm when someone threatens your, or your family's, lives!). Here is a link to a YouTube video I created that addresses this subject. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkhKA...e_gdata_player

It's geared toward NY gun owners but most of the info is applicable in any state! If you live in NY or PA I would be glad to answer any of your questions or concerns, just give me a call or shoot me an email. Take care and shoot safely!

I carry the instructors insurance offered through the NRA. And then there is a seperate policy for general business liability.
    MinistrMalic likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The NRA offers a 1 million dollar liability policy for about 350 dollars a year. If you teach the class the way it is meant to be taught the will cover you. If you deviate from the course they will not..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I use the NRA sanctioned insurance, and it is general firearms training liability insurance. It will cover non-NRA classes and mine is $1M per incident/$2M aggregate for $300 a year. And it gets me privileges at my local state-owned outdoor range to reserve my own ranges. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The NRA offers a 1 million dollar liability policy for about 350 dollars a year. If you teach the class the way it is meant to be taught the will cover you. If you deviate from the course they will not..
    The NRA instructor insurance covers non-NRA courses as well.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    The NRA instructor insurance covers non-NRA courses as well.
    Nope. Only NRA classes....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

According to the NRA's insurance guy with whom I specifically spoke, it DOES cover both NRA and non NRA courses. If you are not sure, give them a call. They actually answer the phone and are very knowledgable.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    According to the NRA's insurance guy with whom I specifically spoke, it DOES cover both NRA and non NRA courses. If you are not sure, give them a call. They actually answer the phone and are very knowledgable.
    Ill have to check my paperwork, and maybe give them a call. I was told that it didnt cover a non NRA class. For liability and legal representation. Ill give it another look.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Ill have to check my paperwork, and maybe give them a call. I was told that it didnt cover a non NRA class. For liability and legal representation. Ill give it another look.
    Yeah, do that. Nothing in my policy requires me to only teach NRA classes. I don't go by what someone tells me (the Lockton representative did tell me that it covers non-NRA classes; it'd be pointless for me to have this insurance were that not the case as I don't give NRA classes) so I read my policy. Read yours.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Yeah, do that. Nothing in my policy requires me to only teach NRA classes. I don't go by what someone tells me (the Lockton representative did tell me that it covers non-NRA classes; it'd be pointless for me to have this insurance were that not the case as I don't give NRA classes) so I read my policy. Read yours.
    Will do, thanks..

I have not taught NRA courses in the last 15 years but carry a very large Personal Liability Clause policy in case some idiot comes after me after I shoot him to the ground including his relatives when he does a bad case when I am present to stop it. Read that as Personal Protection for me and those around me. The case will be moved to "Loser Pays" when it goes to court.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Straight form the NRA site.

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program - Instructors Professional Liability

The plan is available to Certified Instructors, Training Counselors and Coaches, and provides coverage for all NRA courses and non-NRA courses alike. We understand the inherent risks associated with providing training and we offer the coverage you need to protect those risks...
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Links