Checking out Krav Maga: tips? - Page 3

Checking out Krav Maga: tips?

This is a discussion on Checking out Krav Maga: tips? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; KM is generic self defense in Israel and originally drew techniques from various traditional martial arts like karate, judo and jiu jitsu. With the popularity ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Checking out Krav Maga: tips?

KM is generic self defense in Israel and originally drew techniques from various traditional martial arts like karate, judo and jiu jitsu. With the popularity of MMA, modern KM now draws techniques also from Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ as well as Kali for Blade work. It is an ecclectic system that has been heavily marketed based on the established reputation of toughness of the IDF. With that marketing, the program can vary as far as the experience and knowledge of the instructor.

Have fun, but maintain a critical eye. Keep in mind, You may have quite a bit more experience handling live firearms than your "Instructor"... as is the case with most Martial Arts schools... troubling, but especially so with KM when they put so much emphasis on "street".
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    There is a lot of good advice here but I have to disagree with at least one point made by Jason. You do not have to wait until you are in good physical condition before you start your training. After all, you may need it tomorrow! It would be best of course, but not necessary. The training itself will condition you. You Should know if you have any heart conditions or are on blood thinners before getting in over your head, but there is still plenty of good training to be had that doesn't involve impact and strenuous effort. As an adult, you can train more effectively by better understanding the concepts involved. For instance, why balance is so critical to an effective strike or leverage. Take most people off-balance and they become ineffective. The same applied knowledge will make your techniques more effective. Also, you could begin immediately learning vital and non-vital targets. Simply put, you can pound on someone all day who is bigger, stronger, and fitter than you and may not have much of an effect. However, a technique applied to a specific target can bring down the biggest and strongest of men. I have seen this work while doing security for body-building events.

.Go for it-you'll be glad you did.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    There is a lot of good advice here but I have to disagree with at least one point made by Jason. You do not have to wait until you are in good physical condition before you start your training. After all, you may need it tomorrow! It would be best of course, but not necessary. The training itself will condition you.
    To be on the safe side, it is better to be conditioned already. The better conditioned you are, the more you will adapt quicker as well as as recover easily. JMHO and I have to differ on that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISR MATRIX View Post
    KM is generic self defense in Israel and originally drew techniques from various traditional martial arts like karate, judo and jiu jitsu. With the popularity of MMA, modern KM now draws techniques also from Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ as well as Kali for Blade work. It is an ecclectic system that has been heavily marketed based on the established reputation of toughness of the IDF. With that marketing, the program can vary as far as the experience and knowledge of the instructor.

Have fun, but maintain a critical eye. Keep in mind, You may have quite a bit more experience handling live firearms than your "Instructor"... as is the case with most Martial Arts schools... troubling, but especially so with KM when they put so much emphasis on "street".
    Maybe I misunderstand your point, but there should be no handling of live firearms in a KM class.

What I think you meant to convey is that some participants here might have had some more course work in
    combat handgun techniques than the KM instructor. Of course. He isn't teaching combat handgun work. He is
    teaching disarms. And yes, there are plenty who are schooled in retention techniques. One can almost
    learn retention techniques by looking at how the disarms are done and then "reverse engineer" the retention
    method.

IMO, few MA folk are into guns, and though some firearms oriented folks are interested in MA, it is mostly a pretty limited
    group; not your typical gun owner.

And more's the pity, because the two compliment each other.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

IMO, few MA folk are into guns, and though some firearms oriented folks are interested in MA, it is mostly a pretty limited

Great points here. However, in my experience a good chunk of the guys in my KM classes are gun owners and/or have a license to carry. With that said, none of them (me being the exception) get defensive firearm training on a regular basis. In addition, whenever the subject has been brought up regarding H2H experience in a firearm class, very few if any have even taken a class or two let alone regularly attending some form of a MA.

You are absolutely right, they compliment one another well. Specifically fighting with a gun at bad breath distances.

Well the wife and I both went last night. Again we spent a lot of the first part of the class on hand strikes. After that we worked on falling safely, both forwards and backwards. Then was some very basic ground movements. Just keeping yourself protected while on the ground from a standing attacker. How to move around to keep them at bay, and then how to get up quickly and safely after pushing your attacker back.

There was also a round of two-person situps, passing a weight back and forth. Going to have to work on that one...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I really recommend Krav Maga. I have been doing it for a little over a year now and train 4-6 times per week. You don't need to be in great physical shape to start, with training you will get there. Its a fantastic and complete self defense system that will get you home safe and in shape! It compliments concealed carry very well in my opinion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well the wife and I both went last night. Again we spent a lot of the first part of the class on hand strikes. After that we worked on falling safely, both forwards and backwards. Then was some very basic ground movements. Just keeping yourself protected while on the ground from a standing attacker. How to move around to keep them at bay, and then how to get up quickly and safely after pushing your attacker back.

There was also a round of two-person situps, passing a weight back and forth. Going to have to work on that one...
    Sounds like he is following the curriculum.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I liked the curriculum until the situps, haha. I've never done them with weights before. Honestly though, after only two classes and my wife and I breaking in the focus pads we bought once I can already tell the difference in my fitness.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

There is a decent forum at kravmaga.com, although not nearly as active as DC. I am also a big fan of the Bas Rutten stuff. His stance, punching and kicking styles all makes sense to me. I was concerned about the open stance and weapon retention training, but once it was explain to me, it make sense also.

When doing the punching, you can use palm strikes instead of fist in in most of the strikes. This can help protect the bones in your hands.

Also don't surprised when they increase the cardio then when you are good and out of breath expect you to fight. It's the fighting from a disadvantage concept.

I hope you enjoy the classes!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    When doing the punching, you can use palm strikes instead of fist in in most of the strikes. This can help protect the bones in your hands.
    As I progress, I plan on learning to use palm strikes more effectively. Several years ago whilst playing goalkeeper for my indoor soccer team I managed to shatter the base of the 5th metacarpal in a punch-like motion. Just really unlucky. There were about 5 pieces broken off, the largest being about 15mm long. Despite assurances by the orthopedic surgeon, I do not believe it healed properly as it bothers me occasionally. I'd prefer to learn strikes that have less chance of agitating this old injury.
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand your point, but there should be no handling of live firearms in a KM class.

What I think you meant to convey is that some participants here might have had some more course work in
    combat handgun techniques than the KM instructor. Of course. He isn't teaching combat handgun work. He is
    teaching disarms. And yes, there are plenty who are schooled in retention techniques. One can almost
    learn retention techniques by looking at how the disarms are done and then "reverse engineer" the retention
    method.

Yes. My comment was relative to people with zero or little actual experience shooting or even handling real guns who attempt to teach disarms from what they have learned from practicing wristlocks against someone armed with a rubber gun. I have seen many who barely understand how a semi auto pistol works, teaching gun takeaways that ignore the realities of the weapon. Many teaching this material learned it in a week long course to get "certified". This should be alarming to people who have been shooting for years with hundreds or thousands of hours of weapon handling and live fire.
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links