Setting up a home range...

This is a discussion on Setting up a home range... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have several acres of land (60+) where we live in southeast Alabama. Currently we have a large roll of hay setup behind our home ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By varob
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Sonnie

Thread: Setting up a home range...

Setting up a home range...

We have several acres of land (60+) where we live in southeast Alabama. Currently we have a large roll of hay setup behind our home and target practice with targets stuck to old political signs stuck in the ground in front of the hay bale... and woods behind. There are no public ranges near us and not sure why we would need one with all the land we have anyway. I was tossing around the idea of setting up something for 3-4 shooters at a time, although it would only be close friends we know really well and family. Are there any special rules or guidelines for setting up a home range? Do others have any pics of their home range? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Long as you're not starting a business, I would assume there wouldn't be any special rules other than "don't shoot in a direction that might put a bullet in something more important than a tree."
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

No business ... just family and friends we know well. We won't charge them anything. We would require they let us know when they plan to be there.

Something else I just thought of. When I shoot I have a hard time finding all the empty rounds in our grass, so I was thinking about setting up a large area for standing... so that I don't have to cut that grass and sling empty shells around. I haven't had to cut that area yet as it is a location I don't cut often, but will need to keep it cleaned up since we are going to start practicing/shooting more often. I have never even been to a professional range. Is there a special material used for range platforms?

I have 40+ acres in NH. I just follow the state regulation: Basically you can't shoot over or within 15 feet of a road or 300 ft of a permantly occupied dwelling without permission. We have a natural backstop (hill). And our neighbors both own land on either side so we shoot over 1000 yds+.

We have very well posted signs that say there is live gunfire 24/7. Of course I would still get sued but keeps most folks out.

Make sure you have a good view for at least +-20 degrees from your targets. I highly recommend making a nice backstop at least 15 feet high.

You may want to bring in a few truck loads of dirt to use as a backstop. Especially if you plan on shooting rifles.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I was thinking about the backstop. Generally there would be no reason for there to be anyone or anything important behind the hay bale, but we need something more serious. I have a tractor/front-end loader and plenty of dirt, so building up a backstop shouldn't be a problem.

What do you have signs posted? Is that a state law? I need to see if there are state range laws for Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
    I was thinking about the backstop. Generally there would be no reason for there to be anyone or anything important behind the hay bale, but we need something more serious. I have a tractor/front-end loader and plenty of dirt, so building up a backstop shouldn't be a problem.

What do you have signs posted? Is that a state law? I need to see if there are state range laws for Alabama.
    We but up signs that say " Restricted Area, Authorized Personnel Only, Live-Fire Range". You can buy them. Not state law but a smart thing to do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    We but up signs that say " Restricted Area, Authorized Personnel Only, Live-Fire Range". You can buy them. Not state law but a smart thing to do.
    I like that - I think I'll give it a try. The "No Trespassing" signs that I put up, must mean something entirely different to most people.
    bigmacque likes this.

VIP Member
    If you want to go really nice, for rifles, put in gravel on the ground, shooting benches and a roof covering the shooting area. For pistols, put in gravel on the ground and leave enough area that you can move around to practice shooting on the go so to speak. Also, you may want to invest in a few steel targets for handguns, but be sure that they are angled down so you minimize the lead splash back.

I agree with others that having a nice berm (or a hill) to shoot into makes a lot of sense.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

That cover idea is a really good one. I had not given that much thought.

As far as the signs... that might also discourage the bad guys from coming down our 1250' long driveway.
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    A friend of mine built a private range on a ten acre piece he owns. He bermed it by digging down into the ground - he has a small tracter with a shovel and a front end loader on it -- and piling the dirt he dug out up at the rim. Targets are then placed at a downward angle from the shooting stance, so there's literally solid earth, not a pile of dirt, behind the targets as well as the piled up dirt above them. He started at the deep and dug as deep as he wanted to go, which is about 6-8 feet, and then just worked his way back about 25 yards creating a slope down into a target pit. All the dirt removed is piled up around it. It's wide enough for three people to stand and shoot without getting in each other's way. And all you have to do if you want to shoot 10 yards is step down the slope.

We're toying with some old garage door openers to sling targets back and forth. The slope isn't that great, but after a few trips down to the targets and back this old man would like to see the garage door openers.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    We use an ATV to get to the end of our shooting area!

And I just gave away to perfectly functioning garage door openers.

My target area is slightly higher that the shooting area, but not a lot being that it is such a short distance. However, my exact thoughts were to level it up a bit and take that dirt and pile it up at the target area. I may not have but 3-4' of solid earth before starting the dirt pile, but it would still work pretty well. I can slope it a bit as well and probably gain another foot or so. There is a drop off to the left of that area that would make it easy for draining.

I started working on the home range today. I leveled off a spot and dug down into the earth about 3'... and piled up a large mound of dirt. It turned out rather nice.

If I build a covered area, what would be the best distance to do so? Is there a standard distance for target practicing with pistols?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
    I started working on the home range today. I leveled off a spot and dug down into the earth about 3'... and piled up a large mound of dirt. It turned out rather nice.

If I build a covered area, what would be the best distance to do so? Is there a standard distance for target practicing with pistols?

Thanks!
    Just make sure and leave as much distance as possible between your firing line and the backstop(for rifles); then you just move the target farther or closer depending on what you are doing. When you start doing shooting while moving with handguns just step out in front of the firing line, since it's a private range you can do this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Links