Medical training question about the show "Student of The Gun"

This is a discussion on Medical training question about the show "Student of The Gun" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight I watched Student of The Gun. During the Beyond the Band-Aid segment they talked about a patient assessment technique called SCAB. they said it ...

Tonight I watched Student of The Gun. During the Beyond the Band-Aid segment they talked about a patient assessment technique called SCAB.
    they said it could be used for gun shot victims or even victims of a car crash.

Scene (is it safe), Circulation (sweep the extremities for major bleeding), Airway (every unconscious person gets a NPA), Breathing.

According to this segment, you sweep the extremities for bleeding and use tourniquets as needed prior to checking the airway. They never did mention assessing the chest. They also did not mention anything about contraindications for a NPA.

I am very skeptical of this. I have been looking online trying find more about this without any luck. Has anyone heard of this style of assessment before?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think this is coming out of the current combat casualty course in the military for treatment on the battlefield which covers the three most common causes of death on the battlefield. Uncontrolled bleeding, obstructed airway, and pneumothorax.

I imagine they assess the chest for sucking chest wounds and pneumothorax when they get to the breathing portion of the SCAB assessment.

I'd have to dig around in the current military special operations combat casualty handbook. I have a copy of it somewhere on one of my thumb drives, complements of one of my EMT students who was active duty Air Force and hoping to get accepted into the ParaRescueman pipeline (PJ's).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That's what I was thinking also. I am trying to find my copy of TCCC course. I am also thinking that the editing probably cut out some of the "little" details.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Links