gun fu sifu ?

gun fu sifu ?

This is a discussion on gun fu sifu ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good shooting school around the Michigan area. I want to find somewhere that I can work on my defensive pistol abilities. ...

Thread: gun fu sifu ?

gun fu sifu ?

I'm looking for a good shooting school around the Michigan area. I want to find somewhere that I can work on my defensive pistol abilities.
    I'm hindered as far as i can travel. I don't get alot of time off from work and money is tight. if anyone knows of anyone around me I figured it would be the folks here on the cc foum.
    Thanks,

Lead Moderator
    I don't know of any in MI. Some come thru as a travelling class though. Your best bet may be IDPA, unless others know of any schools.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    + 1 on IDPA, not only will you meet people that can teach you usefull things, the practice alone is worth it....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

There's an IDPA shoot every month about an hour from where I live. A local gun store/range carpools!

I've been looking at the prices of some of the high end,well known schools. It's not cheap. I'm sure alot of them,like front sight are worth it, I just don't have the funds right now.

Never tried this place, but found it at stoppingpower.com.
    www.marshallsshootingcenter.com
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks ron. Looks like a good place to train.

I've been going to the range with a friend that trained at Blackwater and is a k-9 leo. We've been running alot of drills, he's helping out alot.

You could make a career out of shooting schools. There is such an enormous amount of training available that unless you're independently wealthy or willing to live in your car, you couldn't possibly get it all.
    As has been said, IDPA clubs are a great place to learn and make new friends with like interests. It also sounds like you're already getting some quality coaching from your friend so I'd hold off a while before laying down the cash for a school. If I were in your shoes, I'd soak up as much as I could from your the friend and when I felt like he didn't have anything new to show me then I'd start shopping for schools. my .02

Links