Your Line in the Sand

Your Line in the Sand

This is a discussion on Your Line in the Sand within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been thinking on these lines as of late and then Roger Phillips (Sweatnbullets) wrote this blog on SI. One can set their line ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 15 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By Yoda
  • 2 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By First Sgt

Thread: Your Line in the Sand

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Your Line in the Sand

I had been thinking on these lines as of late and then Roger Phillips (Sweatnbullets) wrote this blog on SI. One can set their line in the sand but can it be done for others?

For me a great read

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - Your Line in the Sand Part 1
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I think it's difficult to truly draw a line in the sand for oneself. I think it'd be a very curvy, sometimes blurry line. What I'd allow to happen in a situation would vary greatly based on innumerable factors involved. Not to say there shouldn't be a line somewhere, just saying it's not easy to be precise. Better I think to approximate where the line is and play it by ear.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    The line keeps moving with age, experience, and circumstances.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

There is a hard line (real apparent to me) that BGs cross over when they attempt shoot at me, try to stab me or one of my loved ones. This includes serious beating, kidnapping, sexual assault.. not sure I can list all of the possibilities.

There are times when that line can extend further out if I have a good grasp of the situation, but I am not batman.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    I had been thinking on these lines as of late and then Roger Phillips (Sweatnbullets) wrote this blog on SI. One can set their line in the sand but can it be done for others?

For me a great read

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - Your Line in the Sand Part 1
    Good article. You asked if it can be done for others? We cannot write there line in the sand, but we can guide them, and give them the knowledge so that they can make up there mind on where there line could/should be drawn. The fighting mindset is a personal choice. A choice only you can make.
    oneshot and First Sgt like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Very good read! Very good point of view to 'read into' and digest.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member

Couldn't agree more.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my line , as mike says, has changed with time

but it was never a line---rather a wide and fuzzy area.
    as 'things happen' the details define the line.
    if it defines an area that impacts me....

action will be approiate
    goldshellback likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the main thing, is that I have resolved within myself, that I can't stop a situation from happening once the SHTF, but I do have some control over how it happens and when it happens. I realize, that most likely I will have some fear, but I have admitted that to myself and have prepared mentally to fight through it. I've resolved that failure is NOT an option when it comes to my life and the lives of my family. I will focus on the mechanics of getting the job done, and down deep, fear will be my motivator! In the end, I will accept my fate and will know that I did EVERYTHING in MY power to defend MY line in the sand!
    oneshot likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the main thing, is that I have resolved within myself, that I can't stop a situation from happening once the SHTF, but I do have some control over how it happens and when it happens. I realize, that most likely I will have some fear, but I have admitted that to myself and have prepared mentally to fight through it. I've resolved that failure is NOT an option when it comes to my life and the lives of my family. I will focus on the mechanics of getting the job done, and down deep, fear will be my motivator! In the end, I will accept my fate and will know that I did EVERYTHING in MY power to defend MY line in the sand!
    The bold, Fear is a strong emotion. We hope and train for the best, knowing that our fear will help guide us....Good post sir...
    Last edited by Harryball; April 3rd, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Good read.
    Mike1956 & First Sgt summed it up rather succinctly.

This paragraph below from the article exemplifies their reasoning.

Having been on gun forums since 2001, it still amazes me when I see people forcing their feeling and beliefs of tactical situations on others, as if they are the only ones that are right and everyone else is wrong. This is either a stance that is contorted by ignorance or by arrogance. If the situation is the dictating factor (and it is) and the individual is the largest factor inside of that situation (and they are) then it is clear to me that no person has the right, or the ability to adequately judge another man's "line in the sand." Until you are standing in his shoes, knowing everything that he knows, you have no clue what perspective he is coming from, you have no idea why he has made the decisions that he has made.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    When I was the 17-27 years old Marine Grunt that line was drawn, when I went into LEO that line was redrawn, now at 69 years old that line had been redrawn several years ago.
    What has never changed is where the line was/is when it came to my family. I will do what it takes to defend them. I will hold that line to allow them to escape and live on. Everyone else must make their own choices

Sponsored Links