Tactical Response: Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Tactical Response: Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering taking a training course with James Yeager at Tactical Response in Camden, TN. I've watched some of his YouTube videos, and, even though ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tactical Response: Any Thoughts?

Tactical Response: Any Thoughts?

I'm considering taking a training course with James Yeager at Tactical Response in Camden, TN. I've watched some of his YouTube videos, and, even though he's a bit 'out there', I'm curious as to whether his methods might have some merit.

Anybody have experience with him? I'd like to take Vickers' course, but my vacation time is limited, and he's more expensive...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First let me say I have never trained with him and I have no holdings in Tactical Response.

Now. When I am back home and the timing is right I would not hesitate to train with him. He does not run a shooting school he runs a fighting school. When I first watched some of his DVD's I thought to myself who is this arrogant so and so. As I watched more I saw he was putting out good information for the real world.

His language and phrases are colorful and not for the faint of heart but he gets his point across very well. Many feel he does things the wrong way but often it is simply a matter of them personally being out of their own comfort zone so they feel it is not right. You either like him or hate him, but as with other things in life that is simply the way it is. Go train and make your own decision.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have never taken one of his courses, however I have watched a lot of his videos. My first impression was the guy was a flake, now looking back on it, I think I would invest the time and monies to take one of his courses.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

He is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is solid training. Language, attitudes, equipment choices, demeanor are all things people complain about him. If you go with your mouth shut and mind open I think it is good training. Do what he teaches and give it 100% effort. When you get home you are free to accept or reject what you want. You will not get coddled or a warm hand-holding experience there. Stay in the team room if you can.
    First Sgt likes this.

I have taken one of his On the Road courses last year. it was informative, fun and safe to do. I have taken 4 SI courses which are in the same category. You do need an open mind and lots of ammo and mags on these courses. I intend to train with both again in the future.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LawyerDagget View Post
    He is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is solid training. Language, attitudes, equipment choices, demeanor are all things people complain about him. If you go with your mouth shut and mind open I think it is good training. Do what he teaches and give it 100% effort. When you get home you are free to accept or reject what you want. You will not get coddled or a warm hand-holding experience there. Stay in the team room if you can.
    You mean that at the end of the day, we won't get to sit around a campfire and sing "kum-ba-yah" ???
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Guy does Glock commercials.................IMO

VIP Member
    You mean that at the end of the day, we won't get to sit around a campfire and sing "kum-ba-yah" ???

Stubborn. You put this in the wrong post. This is part of the Super Gold, Kryponite membership from Front Sight. Keep it straight.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LawyerDagget View Post
    Well said! I've taken his Fighting Pistol course and highly recommend it to anyone who has a sincere desire to learn to run their weapon and defend themselves and their loved ones. Check out Login To: GetOffTheX Forums and read the subforum Tactical Response Course Reviews by the folks that have taken Fighting Pistol. I think you will find the course sells itself based on student AAR's.

Go with an open mind and be prepared to work your tail off...Here's MY AAR from Fighting Pistol...

Fighting Pistol/ Shelby, NC/ March 23/24, 2009. Taught by James Yeager and Jay Gibson.

I first heard about Tactical Response on another gun site. I checked it out, joined Get Off the X and started reading. I weighed the feedback that was given through course reviews by Alumni and my thinking wheels started turning. I researched info on other schools/courses/instructors, weighing the pros and cons of “the Others” vs Tactical Response. Bottom line was, I decided that Tactical Response offered exactly what I needed, a course to mold me from the ground up in how to protect myself and my family and potentially others. Yup, even a 60 year old can do it. I made a commitment to Tactical Response and myself and took the plunge.

I arrived the night before and was met by Jimmy Ellis, an Alumni of Fighting Pistol, and the host of the course in Shelby. I thank him for his hospitality, both before my arrival and after my arrival. Things only got better! On the first day, it started with meeting and having breakfast with James Yeager, Jay Gibson, and Scott (another student). Then off to the range. I was extremely nervous as this was my first training course. The instructors introduced themselves and then each student did a brief intro/background on themselves. Surprisingly, the experience level ranged from me the “first timer rookie” , to students that had trained with other instructors, military, etc. In other words, experienced folks. Safety Safety SAFETY was emphasized from the get go. Then before I realized it, the course was off and running.

I was/am a true novice with a pistol. This course was for me AND for the experienced shooters. The basics were covered. Proper holstering, grip, draw, reholstering, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, loading, unloading, ready positions, general shooting guidelines, and more. In other words THE BASICS that I needed to build upon. Then, the shooting began. Stationary shooting, moving and shooting, shooting from kneeling position, supine position (on your back), getting up and continuing the fight, and much more. Learning acronyms like F.A.S.T., M.O.V.E. and their IMPORTANCE to your survival. The three types of malfunctions were demonstrated and proper clearing techniques were taught. DAMN those orange dummie rounds! I must practice practice practice. But, it forced myself and everyone else to learn to do things the right way. MOVE MOVE MOVE. Don’t get caught up in standing there and clearing your malfunction while the BG shoots your butt, MOVE MOVE MOVE!! And then, if you have to reload, either due to dropping your magazine in clearing a malfunction, or being out of ammo, then reload the right way. "Pat….get your replacement mag out FIRST, drop your empty mag, get that elbow in, gun up, TAP, RACK, FIGHT. MOVE MOVE MOVE." I think I shall hear Yeager in my sleep.."MOVE PAT….DON’T F..KING STAND THERE!!! MOVE"…There was soooo much covered on day one, that my mind was reeling at the end. Back to the hotel, grab some supper, and get that homework done.

Day two, this old man took two Aleve, rolled out of bed and crawled to my clothes and got ready for the range. James Yeager talked about Mindset, Tactics, Skills, the legal aspects of deadly force, and being mentally prepared for the choices that you MAY have to make at a moments notice and the consequences of your choices.…I will not go into the lecture other than to say, it was riveting, educational, attention getting, and is guaranteed to make you reevaluate YOUR commitment to training, protecting yourself, your family, your life, and being forever alert. Then more shooting. Utilizing cover and concealment. Shooting from “up close and personal” distance. Oh..let me NOT forget those damn Allen Dots…SIGH!! "Take a breath, relax, squeeze, SLOWLY SLOWLY SEE THE FRONT SITE SLOWLY SLOWLY…." Practice Practice Practice. I promise Jay, I’ll learn to hit those damn dots or hurt myself trying.

So much was covered in two days, but in the end, I have the self satisfaction in knowing that I am much better prepared. I am proud of my accomplishments and have other things that I need to continue to work on so that eventually I can have that same feeling on them. I have developed confidence in knowing I can learn and master these skills. I will I will I will. None of this would have been possible without the patience, knowledge, and skills demonstrated by James Yeager and Jay Gibson. These guys are true professionals and committed to teaching their skills to others. If you are not doing something correctly, they will correct you, show you how it’s done, and will continue to insure you perform correctly. All of this is done without presenting any kind of condescending attitude, but with an attitude of “I want to give you the skills you need to survive!” I thank them for their patience. AND, every now and then Yeager told a joke that was funny! Thanks James and Jay. I firmly believe that whether you are a rookie, or at higher level(s) in your training and skills, Fighting Pistol is a course that ANYONE can learn something to improve their abilities. If you haven’t made a commitment to yourself, then DO IT NOW and take Fighting Pistol.
    Pat Northern, USAF Retired

"Situations will arise which are not of your own choosing. You must be fully prepared to meet them with confidence, no matter what they may be..." Leonard Hector Grant-Taylor 1942
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I've taken courses under Personal Defense Network & enjoyed them 100% as well as Thunder Ranch.
    But most of my time has been spent at Frontsight up in Nevada, you will not get better training anywhere, but thats my opinion. www.frontsight.com

VIP Member
    Justin no offense but there is much better training everywhere besides Front Sight.
    thephanatik and First Sgt like this.

I wouldn't train there but would make a donation for body armor for his cameraman.
    Poseidon, Hoganbeg and Phaedrus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I wouldn't train there but would make a donation for body armor for his cameraman.
    You are so jaded. LOL
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are so jaded. LOL
    Sorry, still trying to see how in the terms of self defense you need to have a person without body armor there so you get the "feel" of shooting with live rounds around real people. SWAT. SOCOM, HRT, yup. How many self defense scenarios entail taking out a BG standing 1 foot from a GG? But what ever flots peoples boat.
    Just a marketing stunt so folks go home and tell them what a cool thing they did.

VIP Member
    Got to admit though the pics are cool.

Suntzu hope you are feeling better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links