Rentention Position........Question.

This is a discussion on Rentention Position........Question. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have seen many LEO over the years use this retention position and wanted to know if there was a technical term for it. Gun Drawn ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rentention Position........Question.

Have seen many LEO over the years use this retention position and wanted to know if there was a technical term for it.

Gun Drawn In Hand, Semi Concealed Behind Leg and Pointed At The Ground.

Thanks........

Hey xXx

Done it many times... I never considered it a retention position. It's just a way to have gun in hand before the shooting starts... more often it'll end a shootout before one starts. Also it was done to not cause undue alarm to the public, as most people will never even notice your holding a gun. Easier to sneak up on an adversary with the gun in that position, than to be pointing it or waving at eye level. It's effective for close in confrontation. Usually no one but the subject knows your covering him.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Don't know if it's the technical term or not, but I call it "how I answer my door everytime the doorbell rings"
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That would be commonly referred to as a ready position not a retention position. In most classes retention and ready positions are given a number or a name and vary between instructors.

It's The (CYA) position ; )
    H/D
    Secret Spuk and Eagleks like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I used to do it on duty. Another tactic was when someone flagged us down or approached our cruisers on foot, we had our guns out and held just under the door window where it could be raised in an instant but not seen.
    Secret Spuk and NCW Ray like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    It's The (CYA) position ; )H/D
    Pretty much it. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

AOK
    As others stated, I don't think that would be considered a retention position. In fact with your arm fully or almost fully extened in order to hide the gun behind your leg would be a poor retention position IMO. Of course that's not to say it wouldn't have it's places.

With that said, I've been in a couple classes that covered this tactic but instead having my gun side away from the target and using my upper torso to keep my sidearm concealed while drawn (or at least created a positive grip) and still close to my body (good for concealment and for retention purposes). Neither class really gave such a tactic a name that I can recall. Both lead instructors had military and LEO/SWAT backgrounds.

Covert ready.....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Retention position is a position from which you are able to shoot from, if necessary.

Basically, the gun is held above the holster (for holsters worn 3:00 position for right handed shooters), indexed against your lower rib cage and pointed towards the target.

It is held close and tight against the body to aid in maintaining possession of the gun against a gun grab in extreme close quarters action.

For what you described with gun drawn but generally hidden from casual view, held behind your leg, muzzle down is used when you want your gun in hand, but not necessarily seen.

Official term = Covert Ready (is as good as any).

Industry term = Doorbell Position.

(Borrowed from First Sgt & Stubborn)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, there was someone here that posted a technical term for that position.....thought I might get them to post it again or someone else if they knew......again, a tactic I've seen LEO's use often.......

The "Sneaky Pete" there ya go I gave it a name
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nah.............but good one.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The "Sneaky Pete" there ya go I gave it a name
    Seconded.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    There's the stink eye. How about the stink leg?
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links