First Range Day with New Kimber

This is a discussion on First Range Day with New Kimber within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I took the Kimber to the range for the first time this morning. I had been reading about Kimber problems. The reviews were all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Range Day with New Kimber

Well, I took the Kimber to the range for the first time this morning. I had been reading about Kimber problems. The reviews were all over the place, so I decided to stop reading and just go out and shoot it. I put about 250 rounds down range without so much as a hiccup. I know this looks bad, but I decided to post my target. I figure this is the result of me doing something wrong. I'm shooting at 10 yards.
    12-F773B4EE-1279652-960.jpg

I'm sure someone here can look at this and give me some suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong. Thanks for any advice.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Are you left or right handed?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I'm right handed.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Check your grip your doing what I do and pulling to the left

Shooting Wheel: Diagnostic Tool

See the attached if you can get it open, or PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. A good coach can watch you and easily figure it out I bet.

ShootingWheel.pdf
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; April 8th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    shooterX likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Thanks for that. I see some things that I'm doing wrong. I'll work on those issues next time I shoot. I have to work real hard on being surprised by the shot.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Dry fire too. Stand a nickel on edge on top of your Kimber while doing dry fire drills and see if you can keep it standing. Remember a new gun is a new grip, and you may just be settling into the new grip.
    shooterX likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Thanks. I'll incorporate all of this as I practice.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Love them kimbers

I have a pro Crimson Carry and have trained extensively with it (along with other 1911's). Initially, understand there is a break in period. Kimber claims 500 rounds. Dont get too upset to start with. Break in periods are usually about operation though, not accuracy. With that I think you are anticipating your shots. Use that "Wheel" most train with to understand it, but the way I trained broke down to this;

1-STAY FOCUSED on your front sight, with your target blurred behind it. Watch that FRONT sight as you proceed, stay focused on the FRONT SIGHT. Assure it stays centered in the rears, not floating up or down or sideways as you go through these steps. You will see that front sight move if you are messing it up, and I guarantee if your target in the picture is true, this is what you are doing.
    2-As you are gripping your gun, keep your grip on the front and back of the frame/grip. Try not to press the sides, or jerk the trigger.
    3-Press the trigger very slowly, very slowly, and let the gun do its job. It will work great if YOU dont screw it up. Achieve a surprise break in the trigger.
    4-Repeat at a similar rate of speed. Should be about 1 round every 10-20 seconds until you are out, and repeat until your groups improve. Then increase speed to about half the time until groups are similar, etc etc.

If you were not surprised by the trigger break, you anticipated. BTW, an EXTREMELY common issue and especially with the 1911 and takes practice to get through. I burnt through some 500 rounds, before I figured it out. With the pro 4" barrel, my groups improved to about silver dollars at 10, and many 7 yard volleys were tearing the same hole. This works, but its a mind game, not so much a gun trick. Practice.

Good luck! Lets see a new target posting soon.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Trigger Control and breathing inappropriately
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I-man. Looking at that target im seeing good combat effective hits. Anyone on the receiving end of that would be put down for good. Suggestion.. Slow down, get your fundamentals right, then the speed will come. Also, front sight focus can be your friend....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks for the advice. One problem is that I'm having to learn the fundamentals on my own. We don't have any classes in my area. I follow the advice of the more seasoned shooters at the range and pick up what I can from online forums (when the advice sounds credible).
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Try this video to start.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks. I just watched it and that was very helpful. I'll watch it and practice it several hundred more times before I go to the range.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Thanks. I just watched it and that was very helpful. I'll watch it and practice it several hundred more times before I go to the range.
    Kewl, dont forget to watch some of Rob Pincus, and James Yeager. If your going at this on your own. All of these instructors will benefit you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links