Teaching a New Shooter

This is a discussion on Teaching a New Shooter within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter is interested in a defense gun but has not been hunting or handled gun other than target shooting under my direct control. I ...

Thread: Teaching a New Shooter

Teaching a New Shooter

My daughter is interested in a defense gun but has not been hunting or handled gun other than target shooting under my direct control.

I was wondering if there is an outline or syllabus or primer that I could use to make sure I cover all the bases. Gun safety, gun cleaning, how to shoot properly, etc. ?

I tried a search but too many extraneous hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Best thing is to get her into an NRA basic pistol class. That does a couple of things, first it lets her learn in a atmosphere where she doesn't have to worry about disappointing dad. This is real common when a family member tries to teach another and second the NRA basic pistol is a long proven well rounded course for beginners that covers all of the bases you mentioned. Ask around your area and see who offers it.

VIP Member
    I, along with about seventy thousand other folks teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course, which gives the brand new shooter an introduction and some live fire training. It is far from comprehensive, but is a decent start if taught as designed. It covers, among other things, the rules for safe gun handling, the description of single action revolvers, double-action revolvers, and semi-autos, the five fundamentals of shooting, ammunition, cleaning and assembly, and some other things. Go to the NRA website and find one of the many classes in your area. Get some references, and accompany her if you like.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I, along with about seventy thousand other folks teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course, which gives the brand new shooter an introduction and some live fire training. It is far from comprehensive, but is a decent start if taught as designed. It covers, among other things, the rules for safe gun handling, the description of single action revolvers, double-action revolvers, and semi-autos, the five fundamentals of shooting, ammunition, cleaning and assembly, and some other things. Go to the NRA website and find one of the many classes in your area. Get some references, and accompany her if you like.
    GMTA

I agree with the above. Start off slow and easy, with a full-size gun, preferably in 9mm or .38 spl; these have little recoil in full-sized guns and allow the shooter to concentrate on fundamentals. Often, the larger calibers have more muzzle flip/recoil/noise, which causes shooters to flinch and snatch the trigger, resulting in poor accuracy and the development of poor habits.

Thanks but I am looking for an outline or syllabus.

Yoda, I am, yes.

Also, have her take a look at a shooting web site written from a woman's perspective, here - Cornered Cat

You didn't mention your daughter's age, but assuming she's voting age or even close, then she's 'empowered' to make up her own mind about stuff. Digesting some of Kathy Jackson's information will help her form her own opinions about shooting and specific equipment choices.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Thanks but I am looking for an outline or syllabus.

PistolSafety.com/Course Outline
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thanks

Yoda, I am, yes.

Links