Defensive Carry banner

Anyone use an Airsoft for practice?

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  nf9648 
#1 ·
I have been considering buying a good 1911 style Airsoft pistol for awhile, how many of you use them for training in the house and backyard?

#5 ·
When I lived in Hawaii I used to be pretty big on airsoft, there was a place called poweredge that had a indoor/outdoor cqb setup in which you could pay $10 and play all day. Ive seen people from all branches of the military who were top notch combat troops get their asses handed to them by a group of 16 year old kids, only time I saw a military group come in and do some damage was a bunch of MP\'s from Ft Shafter who came down for Sgt\'s time training, they were pretty good at covering each other in the rooms.

#6 ·
This time of the year, when I can not get into the range because of wx, air soft is my practice in my basement. Multiple taret, shooting on the move, etc. Usually a couple of times a week, with a few more days a week for dry fire.

#7 ·
I practice \"quick draw\" and then shoot random targets I have set up. It taught me a lot.... like I didn\'t swipe the safety successfully 100% of the time! :O I carry DA with safety OFF now.

It\'s cheap and safe. Doesn\'t completely substitute for the real thing but I think it helps sharpen motor skills.

#8 ·
Yep, P99 just like my carry weapon. Fun to practice with. A buddy and me spend some time shooting at each other (stings a bit, make sure you wear eye protection as well) and in our \"bulletman \"suits at my school and practice various drawing and attack drills as well as variations on the 21 foot drill.

#9 ·
How much is an airsoft in 1911 style and what do you shoot out of it?? I know nothing about these guys but it sure does sound interesting.
I guess its also important to ask what shouldn\'t you buy in this type equipment. Thanks all.

#10 ·
Well, I am still considering one of these for backyard practice. I have found them as cheap as $20 and as much as $450. To get the blowback type that actually simulate the action of the slide, the better ones seem to start at about $100. I guess you get what you pay for. Do a Google search on \"1911 airsoft pistol\" and you will find quite a few available. The more I research them, the more unsure I become on which would e considered a good one....

#12 ·
Cost??

Mine was about $120.00. 1911 semi auto uses green gas, and 6MM plastic ammo. Will raise a rather hefty welt if you shoot self or someone else. Friend thought he could catch one with his hand. Goes thru a standard cardboard ISPC target. I use cardboard backed with carpet scraps.

#13 ·
One of my favorite uses for an airsoft involves taping an IDPA target to the front of my heavy punching bag. Then, starting from ranges as close as 6-inches, (chest to bag) I\'ll strike, elbow, or knee . . . step back with left palm to forhead (for a guard) as I draw and fire from retention. The paint pellets show up on the IDPA target just fine. Also, a Shoot-N-See target can go into the -0 zone of the IDPA target and will show hits from the plastic BBs.

When you work with a partner, the key is to designate a good guy and a bad guy at the beginning of the drill. Then the rules are that the good guy always wins and the bad guy always loses. The bad guy may take several solid hits to put down or the good guy may have to keep fighting after taking some hits but the good guy still wins. This keeps it from turning into an \"I got you first!\" tussle.

The Teuller drill is an excellent place to start for Airsoft FOF drills. For the first run, the good guy starts at 30-feet with a holtered and concealed airsoft gun. The bad guy has a face mask and an empty 2-liter coke bottle to use as a club. The bad guy starts the drill by charging. The good guy can move, draw and shoot and tries to hit the bad guy before being bludgeoned with the empty, plastic, coke bottle. As he get\'s better, the starting range can decrease from 30-feet to 28, then 26, and so-forth. The bad guy should start at first by being \"stopped\" by the first solid hit and then later requiring multiple hits to go down.

Chuck

#14 ·
Originally posted by FortyFive
Should I be looking for spring loaded guns like this
Dont ever buy a spring gun, total waste of money. The only place I will buy any airsoft stuff is at www.redwolfairsoft.com; it comes direct to your door from Hong Kong so youre eliminating the middle man that you would normally pay too much for too little here stateside. For GBB (gas blowback) pistols, I recommend Western Arms over anything else, and for the AEG\'s theyre all pretty much on par with each other, if its compatible with Tokyo Marui or Systema parts then its good to go. My guns were all set to run around 320 fps which was the legal indoor limit at the place I played in Hawaii, although my Western Arms P14-45 Prokiller would shoot in excess of 450 FPS with red gas. 320 fps will break skin through a t shirt, I recommend a good paintball mask and gloves (mechanics gloves work) if youre gonna do any skirmishing with anybody.

#16 ·
320-450fps has to leave pock marks in walls doesn\'t it???

~A

#18 ·
Could be viewed as handy for those return fire drills, LOL...

Thanks for the heads up KC135. Hmmm.

~A

Originally posted by KC135
Not only chips paint, but comes back quickly from my plaster walls.

#21 ·
If I did that, my wifey would bury a high heel in my arse. :realmad:

~A

Originally posted by nf9648
Originally posted by APachon

~A
I destroyed a set of vertical blinds with mine.

#22 ·
If I did that, my wifey would bury a high heel in my arse. :realmad:

~A

Originally posted by nf9648

~A
I destroyed a set of vertical blinds with mine.
Its good my landlord didnt find it when I moved. I think when we did the final walk through I had them open so she could see how clean the glass was; it didnt come out of my deposit money either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.