Defensive Carry banner

Speed vs Accuracy: which is more important to you when Training

9K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Pistology 
#1 ·
Speed and accuracy tend to be two conflicting ends on a pendulum; Go too fast and miss your target, go too slow and strike a bulls eye. What is more important to you as it pertains to defensive training and why?

I will start off by saying I now tend to focus on speed more than accuracy. I used to shoot for groups until I had a good solid base in the fundamentals, then started shooting in local IPSC matches, which opened my eyes to the dramatic "need for speed". I know competition is NOT combat, but it is a great way to train your mind and body for an all out "run and gun" and to really see how fast AND accurate a human being is capable of. There are IPSC shooters who absolutely shoot circles around me, I'm just happy to learn from them and soak up as much knowledge as possible.

When considering a defensive scenario we also have to take into account almost all CCW incidents will start off with us being in reaction mode; I.e. the threat has already made the first move, weapon is already out and your already behind the power curve.

So fellow DCers, what are your thoughts?

#37 ·
this is almost a chicken/egg thing.
you should train often so you can attain and maintain the skill set necessary to place your rounds on the target as fast as possible with every shot.
the operative words are train and fast.
speed kills but it has to be on target

#42 ·
Thats where we are different. I will push my self to fail, so that I have the knowledge of what needs to be done to get better. For me, my skill level is never good enough.....

#39 ·
In most cases drawing and firing should be two separate things. Its not always like an old western gunfight where you draw and fire instantly. The way I see it is that if you practice quickly bringing your weapon into action it then gives you more time to put it on the target. Two different actions.

Or, as in the past I could just be full of it.

Michael

#45 ·
"Slow" refers to practice. There is no sense of speed in muscle memory. Like Hoganbeg said, get the moves in muscle memory to free the mind. Tai Chi = the supreme ultimate.
Speed and accuracy are separate but must be one to win. Dig?

#48 ·
Further to summarize what others have said, I post three more pertinent quotes found in Dave Spaulding's excellent and highly-recommended book, Handgun Combatives (of which there is now a second edition):

"The secrect to winning a gunfight is taking your time in a hurry" - Wyatt Earp

"When the distances get close, you don't have to be good, you just have to be lucky". - Clint Smith

"Perfect practice makes perfect" - John Shaw, Founder of the Mid-South Institute for Self-Defense Shooting. This last one I heard from my music teacher at least thrty years ago.

A lot of other good quotes and advice author, Dave Spaulding, includes in his book.

Reactions: TSiWRX
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.