Speed vs Accuracy: which is more important to you when Training - Page 4

Speed vs Accuracy: which is more important to you when Training

This is a discussion on Speed vs Accuracy: which is more important to you when Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball Originally Posted by Secret Spuk I dont push myself to fail... I dont ant that failure floating around in my head. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Speed vs Accuracy: which is more important to you when Training

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk
    I dont push myself to fail... I dont ant that failure floating around in my head. I just try to maintain my skill level.
    Thats where we are different. I will push my self to fail, so that I have the knowledge of what needs to be done to get better. For me, my skill level is never good enough.....
    I half agree with both statements. If I were teaching a new shooter, I would do everything possibly to let him succeed.

Once the basic skills are there and the shooter has established a basic performance level from which he intends to improve, I think you need to push to failure in order to really build new skill. I would call that an intermediate level approach to performance. And, of course, that doesn't mean work to failure every time you touch a gun; everyone needs positive reinforcement mixed in, too.

Returning to competition shooting, I can practice speeding up my draws, splits, and transitions until my end result gets more sloppy than I'd like. For match day, I need to go at (say) 90% of that failure speed, because that's what I can maintain for 8 or 10 stages and still get a satisfactory hit rate.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

agreed, training slow to develop speed is the way to go

VIP Member
    Further to summarize what others have said, I post three more pertinent quotes found in Dave Spaulding's excellent and highly-recommended book, Handgun Combatives (of which there is now a second edition):

"The secrect to winning a gunfight is taking your time in a hurry" - Wyatt Earp

"When the distances get close, you don't have to be good, you just have to be lucky". - Clint Smith

"Perfect practice makes perfect" - John Shaw, Founder of the Mid-South Institute for Self-Defense Shooting. This last one I heard from my music teacher at least thrty years ago.

A lot of other good quotes and advice author, Dave Spaulding, includes in his book.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links