Tactical question for HD - Page 2

Tactical question for HD

This is a discussion on Tactical question for HD within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bill MO Is there anyway to move your bedroom upstairs or the child down stairs? I never did like sleeping on different ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tactical question for HD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Is there anyway to move your bedroom upstairs or the child down stairs? I never did like sleeping on different floor than the rest of the family.
    Not realistically.

Based on what has been recommended in this thread I think my most reasonable option would be to add a home alarm and possibly a few cameras or motion censors inside the house. This way I could see where they came in from and possibly where they were at in the house.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm no tactician - and I have no professional experience in this manner, either.....

With that in-mind:

I guess what's lacking for me is some additional perspective.

jasgo and tatman both put words to my greatest fears, when I saw your sketched floor-plan. From what I see, the speed/timing of the event will be critical - from your sketch, it seems that you're covering a very narrow lane-of-fire from your bedroom door...I fear that someone who has home-invasion in-mind may well be able to dart from one side of defilade - beyond the opening angle of your bedroom door - to the other - the on and up the stairs, before you can get shots off.

Is that lane-of-fire really that narrow?

I'd definitely alarm, and to try to train the kids on what to do, when they hear the alarm. They may be too young, yet, but they will reach that stage of being able to get up to go to the bathroom, etc., soon enough. Make sure they know what to do when they hear the house alarm (smoke alarm, CO alarm, etc.). That's definitely going to be a primary defense. But at the same time, as a parent, you'll need to realize that the child/children may panic in a true middle-of-the-night scenario, and may not make the right decision, no matter how conditioned, simply because biologically, they are "too groggy" when they are awoken in such a manner. Alternatively, they may simply not wake: there have been studies that showed children are not as easily roused via even the loudest of alarms, and that this is yet again due to biology alone (having an intercom to arouse the children via your voice may work better, but this presents two other concerns: (1) what if the power's out, and (2) what will knowledge that there are vulnerable children upstairs, alone, do for the thinking of the assailant?).

A closed-circuit TV bank...I'm not so sure that idea is all that practical, given the size of your home. Being able to see around that corner would be great, but again, this will play on time. A strategically placed decorative mirror, glass-front cabinet, or even TV can help you see what's coming around that blind corner, but as with the closed-circuit monitor, it will require that you mentally process the information at a time when you'll be less-than-ready and again at a time-critical juncture. I'm really not sure how to play this, the pros versus cons.

With respect to your dogs: they're pretty decently sized. Is there any way they can be re-trained to sleep out in the main living area, to act as further deterrents? Their actions may not deter an intruder, but simply being dogs, they will at least make your residence a harder target.

TS, the drawing may make the lane of fire look slightly narrower than it really is, but the basic gist is the same. There are definitely some blind spots.

The dogs can sleep where ever we make them but they prefer in our bedroom. We keep the door open so they can run out of the room if they hear anything.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    From your floor plan the problem I see is anyone in your living room has open shot up the stairs. Not only is a stairs a funnel for the BG coming up if you are upstairs but also a funnel for you while you are on it. Both you and your wife will have to go up those stairs, doesn't make sense for only you going up and leaving your wife down stairs.

While I think stub walls and hallways are a waste of space I would most likely put a short wall in from the corner of your bedroom door out the distance of your entry and stair wall. If both you and your wife can shoot I would consider one of you going up while the other one watch at the bottom of stairs then once up that one can watch from the top while the other one goes up. With the wall the BG would have to be at the bottom of the stairs to shoot at you while on the stairs.

Thoughts of a old man.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Tactical answer, roll out to avoid being shot, secure kids, move to safe room, wherever that may be designated in your home.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

AOK
    Personally I have had some instruction on moving throughout a house/room clearing and have had the opportunity to train in a shoot house. In all honesty it's just a plain old bad situation to put yourself in. With that said, the only reason I have learned (and continue to learn) how to clear my home is that slight chance there is an intruder(s) and they are between my family and I. So if I was in your shoes, my wife would be calling 911 in a secure location armed while I make my way upstairs to my children.

Just a couple things I have learned in my limited training so far in this area..... While it is important to be able to be a good shot I've also come to understand things like footwork, fatal funnels, moving through doorways, crescenting, getting yourself out of the square range mindset, knowing what is actual cover in your house, etc. are arguably more important. Why? Because if you don't understand these things your more likely to get yourself hurt or killed. My advice to you is to get some training on room clearing (if you can afford it) and learn how to apply that knowledge into moving through your house.

Oh why didn't I think of this, wear the gun. Now it's always at your fingertips. It's really not all that hard to do.

VIP Member
    Oh why didn't I think of this, wear the gun. Now it's always at your fingertips. It's really not all that hard to do.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......Ok. So while sleeping it is pinned to your PJ's? I think he is talking about an after hours type situation.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links