Tactical question for HD

Tactical question for HD

This is a discussion on Tactical question for HD within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to come up with a plan on how I would defend my home if needed, and I keep getting stuck with one question. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tactical question for HD

Tactical question for HD

I'm trying to come up with a plan on how I would defend my home if needed, and I keep getting stuck with one question. Would I try to make it upstairs? I ask myself this for 3 reasons. One is because my kid(s) sleep upstairs, two is because its where I currently keep my hunting rifles and shotguns, and three is the tactical advantage of being higher up. In my room I keep both of my handguns, one in the bathroom area and one on my nightstand. A BG would have to cross my line of sight to get up the stairs, so im not sure it would be worth possibly putting myself in a vulnerable position to get up the stairs first. Just curious what others think.

This is a crude drawing of my floor plan. It doesnt say in the drawing, but the wall that seperates the kitchen from the living room is open so if a BG was in the kitchen they could see me leaving my bedroom if there was enough light.

floor plan.jpg

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I would say yes if that is where your kids are at the time, get to them and cover the stairs while calling 911.

Also, handgun in the bathroom area is inaccessible to the little ones, right?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I would say yes if that is where your kids are at the time, get to them and cover the stairs while calling 911.

Also, handgun in the bathroom area is inaccessible to the little ones, right?
    for the moment yes. It is on the bathroom counter pushed up next to the mirror. This is only a temporary spot, but my kid(1year) can barely reach the counter top much less get 2 feet further back where the gun is. Plan is to get a second handgun safe to put this in and have it in the closet as a back up gun.

The one on my night stand is in a single handgun safe, but I open the safe before I go to sleep so I will not have to mess with it in the middle of the night.

A handgun is what you use to help you get to a long gun. If the long guns are upstairs, then you should try to get upstairs. I'm guessing that you have a phone upstairs.
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    I'm just a schmoe, but being responsible for my own family, this is what I'm thinking. It'll be interesting to see what the 'pros' here will say:

If you can identify the intruder and stop them in the entry way (or living room), that is optimum.

Otherwise, I'd grab my wife and bolt for the kid's room, and use that as the 'safe room'. It forces the bad guys into a nice 'fatal funnel' if they attempt to come up the stairs. Just remember that the kid's bedroom is your 'Alamo'.

If the bad guys make it up the stairs before you do, you're in a pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    for the moment yes. It is on the bathroom counter pushed up next to the mirror. This is only a temporary spot, but my kid(1year) can barely reach the counter top much less get 2 feet further back where the gun is.
    Kids will surprise you when you least expect it, so I'd move that exposed handgun substantially higher and out of sight pronto.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Kids will surprise you when you least expect it, so I'd move that exposed handgun substantially higher and out of sight pronto.
    You are probably right. Will find a better place for it tonight. No point in having guns to keep your family safe if your endangering them by having them.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I saw this thread, it was what reminded me to post my original comment.

VIP Member
    You are probably right. Will find a better place for it tonight. No point in having guns to keep your family safe if your endangering them by having them.
    I used to think I could hide my guns from my kid... Before I realized that he is a 'mini-me' and thinks just like I do.

I now have a bunch of Gun Vault mini-safes stashed and bolted down all over the house now.

Get a dog. The dog is a good speed bump between you and the BG, buying you time or making the BG pick another house.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Get a dog. The dog is a good speed bump between you and the BG, buying you time or making the BG pick another house.
    Got 2 dogs that sleep on my side of the bed, both 50-60lbs, but they are wusses. Not sure if they would do anything but bark, guess thats better than nothing.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Got 2 dogs that sleep on my side of the bed, both 50-60lbs, but they are wusses. Not sure if they would do anything but bark, guess thats better than nothing.
    Barking is A LOT better than nothing. It makes would be intruders hesitant and may even change their minds.
    mano3 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    A lot of this is going to be a time factor. If this is a home invasion/kick in the door type thing you will not have the time to do much.

If the intruders point of entry is the front door/front of the house you "may" have time to arm yourself, exit your room, scoot your wife up the stairs with you covering your exit but I seriously doubt it.
    Should the point of entry be the back door/back of the house you will not have time to do much of anything except defend from your bedroom door.

If this is a burglary type break in you will have more time and more options. One of my questions would be does or can your wife shoot? If she does arm her, send her upstairs and you either follow or defend at the base. If she does not you go where she goes.

If given the time I would go up. Easier to defend and if the intruder looks interested in coming up do whatever you are going to do be it shout or shoot. Shouting a warning may be enough to make them go it also may cause a more determined intruder to test your fortitude and come up. Remember though in this scenario once you commit to going upstairs stay there. Let them take what they want and leave.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

From your plans, I can see that you do not have much of a field of observation/fire from your master bedroom door to the rest of the lower floor and a BG can quickly pass through your line of sight or be awfully close to you. There is also a blind corner. I'd consider two things. An alarm system for sure. A big dog is an alarm system. Then if you really are worried, possibly a one way locking door at the foot of the stairs or half door at the top of the stairs that allows exit from upstairs. Can consider using one of those security screen doors. It will look strange to your friends though.

You can try to channel where a BG will move or can't easily move by placing furniture and couches in a strategic manner. Might be inconvenient for you but what is convenient for you will be for the BG too. Even silly stuff like hanging beads at the stairway entrance can alert you as to if a BG went upstairs already.

The first thing you should do is store your loaded HD guns in something like this SVB500 SpeedVault | GunVault | GunVault

One extreme thing is to alter the walls and door location of your master bedroom. Perhap angle off that master room corner so that a door can face more towards the intersection of the entry corridor, living room, and foot of stairs.

Another thing you can do is have night enabled closed circuit TV cameras with the monitor(s) in your room (especially for that blind corner). Costco sells them.

You have a tactical problem in that if you go upstairs, then you are separated from your wife. If she goes with you, it makes her vulnerable. Also, if family members are scattered, increased chances of accidental shooting whenever guns are out and hot.

Whatever you do, have a plan for each family member to do and do some rehearsals. Oh, memorize how many steps there are so you can move in the dark with eyes out.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Is there anyway to move your bedroom upstairs or the child down stairs? I never did like sleeping on different floor than the rest of the family.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links