Minimum standards

This is a discussion on Minimum standards within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What an amusing discussion. Really fun seeing how many people read one or two sentences from the OP, got all offended, and then went into ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Minimum standards

VIP Member
    What an amusing discussion. Really fun seeing how many people read one or two sentences from the OP, got all offended, and then went into "lecture mode" about 2A, etc. Kinda sad, too.

Shockwave thank you for renewing my faith in humanity. For a bit there I thought I was posting in a foreign language from an anti 2A site.

Suntzu you are correct IF folks would do it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

minimum? can you hit what you point at with in 20 of so feet.You can always raise your standard once you have that down.

VIP Member
    Smitty absolutely true. What you stated is a basic skill you can always add on from there.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Here's my take on it: Your right to defend yourself, subject to whatever standards you set for yourself, extends up to the point that you are endangering me through your lack of skill or negligence. I think this turns the issue into something that is situational. If you are sitting on 200 acres out in the boonies, an errant round of yours is not likely to have an effect on me (though you might be unwittingly perforating one of your loved ones if you can't hit your target or know what is beyond and around your target). If you are in the city and defending yourself on the street that I am walking on or 20 yards from my house where both yours and my house are made of wallboard and siding, you had better be a very good shot with a finely tuned "shoot/don't shoot" switch. For myself, I've gotten pretty good at quickly punching holes in stationary targets, shooting on the move is much harder and can turn what would be an easy hit or near miss into a wide miss that may result in a round going far from where I anticipated it would land.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links