Qualified to Train?

Qualified to Train?

This is a discussion on Qualified to Train? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to renew, and can always use some instruction and range time, even if it's a refresher. My wife saw a concealed-carry training deal, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By stevem174

Thread: Qualified to Train?

Qualified to Train?

I have to renew, and can always use some instruction and range time, even if it's a refresher. My wife saw a concealed-carry training deal, so I reviewed their deal promotion, which included this picture. I showed it to my better-half, and asked her "what's not safe about this?" She is not really into shooting, but has done it a few times. I'm so proud of her... she figured it out right away.

I might sign-up for this training. But if the instructor has a holstered Browning Hi-Power on his hip, we're going to have an interesting discussion during the safety lecture :o)
    Attached Images
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

JD
    Administrator
    Not defending it in the least, but as he has the magazine in his hand, it could just be the instructor demonstrating the magazine disconnect feature of the BHP...without the rest of the context behind this photo, we have a pretty good whipping boy where it may not be warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not defending it in the least, but as he has the magazine in his hand, it could just be the instructor demonstrating the magazine disconnect feature of the BHP...without the rest of the context behind this photo, we have a pretty good whipping boy where it may not be warranted.
    Once again, JD proves why he gets paid the big bucks around here.

Someone very easily could have used the wrong photo in the copy. I would sure ask the instructor about it.
    JD likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I gotta agree with you. However, I don't think the instructor was too smart to use this particular picture in a advertisement/brochure or whatever it was to promote his training course! I'm sure he could have found/taken a picture to use where the finger is not on the trigger. A novice probably would not know about the Browing and if this is just a "general" picture rather than one specifically pointing out a feature of the Browning, it "probably" isn't the best picture to use!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    JD beat me to it and with fewer words i bet.WTG

cause some do 'fix' the disconnect....its important to demonstrate the many ways to do/not do
    mag changes. and often in the 1st half of a cleass i do 'improper' things to explain the how and why
    we handle guns certain ways.
    than i deceide which is the 'safe' direction and will correct any handling mistakes

----JDE010, that could have been a screen grab or.....?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    JD beat me to it and with fewer words i bet.WTG

cause some do 'fix' the disconnect....its important to demonstrate the many ways to do/not do
    mag changes. and often in the 1st half of a cleass i do 'improper' things to explain the how and why
    we handle guns certain ways.
    than i deceide which is the 'safe' direction and will correct any handling mistakes

----JDE010, that could have been a screen grab or.....?
    Could be anything, the instructor might not even handle the website etc. Could be one picture from a string of 100 etc. and the designer goofed and used the wrong one.

While I understand the OP's concern etc, I wouldn't not take a course due to this picture. YMMV.

Ok....I'm missing something here, so I gotta roll over and play dumb and ask a question....Why would someone either drop, insert, or change a mag with their finger on the trigger? Is there something about this particular weapon, of which I know nothing, that puts the finger on the trigger for a specific purpose? Again...I plead TOTAL ignorance here and am asking with all the humbleness I can muster...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Sgt, honestly i am in agreement with ua but me thinks we are doing our best to give the
    dude the benifit of the doubt...one reason being the lack of context--for all we know he may have
    been demonstrating what not to do and like the picture of the H&K with the bullet in the mag backwards,
    the photo picker doesn't know right from wrong about the subject--just how to frame and present it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Ive always heard that "a picture is worth a thousand words" Without context its a hard call. If the pic came from his web page, he should have a specific caption for it, to explain.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Ok....I'm missing something here, so I gotta roll over and play dumb and ask a question....Why would someone either drop, insert, or change a mag with their finger on the trigger? Is there something about this particular weapon, of which I know nothing, that puts the finger on the trigger for a specific purpose? Again...I plead TOTAL ignorance here and am asking with all the humbleness I can muster...
    I don't think he's doing a mag change.

The Browning Hi Power aka BHP has a magazine disconnect which prevents the gun from being fired without the magazine inserted. If you wanted to demonstrate that to someone, it would look just like the picture above.

Thanks for all the comments! I don't want to read too much into what the picture means. It was more tongue-in-cheek. JD, you make a good point. I'm not targeting anyone's reputation; that's why I gave no who/where details.

But it still makes for an interesting conversation. More than anything, I was just so pleased at how quickly my sweetheart noticed the finger on the trigger!

If I decide to attend I'll post a review of the class.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Oh, you mean its not because he is shooting with his left hand??? That is what didn't look right to me. /sarcasm

Disclaimer: I am left-handed but by some strange quirk I shoot guns right-handed. Go figure. So not making fun of lefties here.

Sponsored Links