Instructor Course VA

Instructor Course VA

This is a discussion on Instructor Course VA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GET CREDIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW! If you know your way around handguns/rifles and would like to become certified to teach the NRA Basic ...

Thread: Instructor Course VA

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Instructor Course VA

GET CREDIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW!

If you know your way around handguns/rifles and would like to become certified to teach the NRA Basic Pistol course, NRA Home Firearm Safety Course, and NRA Basic Rifle Course this is for you. This provides you, the instructor, the ability to teach the course recognized in the state of Virginia, and other states, to give your students the course to apply for a VA CHP Concealed handgun permit. Known in other states as the CCW.

NRA Pistol Instructor course/Home Firearm Safety Instructor Course - $250.00.

NRA Follow on Rifle Course $125.
    $ 200 if you Do not opt for the Pistol Instructor course

Pre-registration/deposit $(100) is required.

Class size is limited.

Dates/times - 0800 (8am) - 1700 (5pm), (8am)-2100 (9pm) Sunday
    Saturday, 09/30 and Sunday, 10/01/06.
    Location - NRA Headquarters, Auditorium.

Contact. ALander@NRAHQ.ORG

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    You know I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Time for me to put up or shut up.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I'm not directly interested in your class because I'm a WV resident but I'll take this opportunity to ask a couple questions that I've been wondering about...they might be answered at the NRA page but I'll ask:
    - Are there prerequisites for the course?
    - After completing the course, is there much demand for instructors or is this something that may not generate any income??? Just curious about this aspect to figure out if this is just a nice certification to have or it would eventually pay for itself.

thanks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    I'm not directly interested in your class because I'm a WV resident but I'll take this opportunity to ask a couple questions that I've been wondering about...they might be answered at the NRA page but I'll ask:
    You can take your instructor training from any Training Counselor (TC). I live in Missouri now and will be taking a TC course in Virginia in November. When I lived in VA I took instructor courses in Maryland, for example. I assume you just don't want to make that long drive to Fairfax. Can't blame you there.

- Are there prerequisites for the course?
    Yes. Demostrated proficiency and safety with firearms. Also TC's may look at your firearms experience. It is their discretion. To take a TC course there is an application process and letters of reference are required.

- After completing the course, is there much demand for instructors or is this something that may not generate any income???
    Depends on your area. The area I did it in had 200,000+ people and probably five different instructors offering courses. We were all priced within about $10 of each other. My partner and I averaged about 10 people per month. Our "profit" was about $5-10 per person depending on where we held the classes.

Just curious about this aspect to figure out if this is just a nice certification to have or it would eventually pay for itself.

thanks!
    Basically my partner and I found we could cover our expenses for range membership, instructor insurance and update training from the money we generated from teaching courses. There really was no profit per se. We basically covered expenses. Maybe in your area it would be different, but I think you would need to offer more than just the NRA Basic courses.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

great info Scott...thank you

I found the course offered much closer to my area and will be getting certified in the near future.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Depends on your area. The area I did it in had 200,000+ people and probably five different instructors offering courses. We were all priced within about $10 of each other. My partner and I averaged about 10 people per month. Our "profit" was about $5-10 per person depending on where we held the classes.

Basically my partner and I found we could cover our expenses for range membership, instructor insurance and update training from the money we generated from teaching courses. There really was no profit per se. We basically covered expenses. Maybe in your area it would be different, but I think you would need to offer more than just the NRA Basic courses.
    So what are the big expenses? I have a private range on my property, so I don't think that would be a problem. What insurance is needed?, any business licensing requirements (probably varies based on locality I assume)?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Theres a couple of differn't insurances that cover you as the instructor. One insurance, is for you while you are in the classroom only teaching. (this means range as well) So basically it covers for you for the the class. Then you have the insurance that covers your if one of your students gets into a shooting and tries to sue you for inadeqaute training. We have never had an NRA insturtor successfully prosecuted for criminal negligence who followed the NRA lesson plan.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    So what are the big expenses? I have a private range on my property, so I don't think that would be a problem. What insurance is needed?, any business licensing requirements (probably varies based on locality I assume)?

Sponsored Links