How many members here can accomplish this drill?

This is a discussion on How many members here can accomplish this drill? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m When walking or standing I believe that in moist cases I could easily do it at the range. That is with ...

View Poll Results: From CC can you draw, fire and effectiely hit the target in 2 seconds?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

166 64.84%
  • No

18 7.03%
  • Never tried before

67 26.17%
  • Don't need to

5 1.95%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: How many members here can accomplish this drill?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    When walking or standing I believe that in moist cases I could easily do it at the range. That is with no one shooting back or trying to kill me. The one time that does concern me is when driving a car. I cannot easily retrieve my weapon when sitting and add a seat belt to that an I am toast.

Michael

Good point on the vehicle. I've trained for this but not nearly as much as I should. Luckily my range is very conducive to this type of training and I can take the doors off of my Jeep!

For typical out of vehicle training 2 seconds from concealment is my benchmark; if I cannot do so successfully I need to reevaluate my CC system. I make my own holsters from kydex and use the 2 second rule to evaluate. If I can't then it's back to the workbench!

The culprit is usually trying to conceal "too deep". Sure you may not see it but if you can't get to it what's the point?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    This many people can draw from a CONCEALED holster and hit their x in a "1 one thousand 2 one thousand?"
    I'm not trying to hit an x, I'm hitting center mass. Big difference. I can't hit a dime sized x in 2 seconds from concealed... A pie plate? Easy peasy (yawn). I'm lucky to have an awesome range that lets you train as needed.

Just an FYI: 2 seconds is a mighty long time under stress... It tends to seem like 5 minutes (and that is not even a life threatening stress...).
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I voted no because, while I can do it at the range during practice, I'm quite sure in real life I'll be around 3.5 to 4 seconds.

It's easy to be fast when you're ready to draw. It won't be so easy when you are eating a burger or pumping gas.
    ^ +1. That OODA loop.

It's going to be even harder when you're being forced against your car....

VIP Member
    I voted never tried before. I believe I could with my glock or/ 1911 set up. It would be tough with my IWB Ruger Lc9 summer set up. I need to work on it. But don't we all?

I can hit where I'm looking on a mesquite tree trunk pretty fast drawing from my best holsters. Never timed it though.

Pocket carry or from some concealment holsters, not so much.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Getting good enough to do it takes a little practice.

Staying good enough to do it takes a little more. Not like riding a bike.
    TSiWRX likes this.

Draw, 1 on target, speed reload, 1 on target in 2.38 at 5 yards. By far the coolest thing ive done in my life. If I were told to do that in a real life scenario... probably around 5 to 10 seconds given I didn't drop my magazine along with the log in my pants.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Im not trying to boast, there's no reason to on an Internet forum to people I'll likely never meet, but for what it's worth...

It took me about one weekend worth of dedicated practice (sat & sun) witha Master class iPSC shooter training me to get proficient enough to reliably do this drill at 7 yards in under 2 seconds.

Now 2 seconds feels like a loooong time. I'm trying to break 1 second but have never done it. I think my fastest is about 1.3 or so. I completely realize this is at my range where I fully expect my shot timer to go off and I'm fully prepared to clear garment and get my shot off, not when I'm stuffing my face at cracker barrel. Also 1.3 was not a "cold shot" right when I got to the range, but after a good 50 to 100 round warm up.

I now focus more on getting off the x Quickly while returning fire. I've all but completely stopped practicing the 25 yard slow fire bulls eye shooting, I probably should have a "back to the basics" day soon.

Steel IPSC plates have also sped up my training extensively, I now loathe shooting at paper. With steel silhouettes I get instant target feedback, never have to tape up or replace my target, and I've stopped worrying about tearing pretty ragged holes in paper anymore. I always hated shooting at paper for speed because my patterns were "ugly"... With steel a hit is a hit and a miss is a miss. We've also got falling plates at my club for more precise shots, but that's as far as I go for precision with a pistol. Rifle is a whole different ballpark.

What I'm getting at is I think anyone can easily get to the point of doing this drill in one weekend with the right instruction. As stated earlier I'm not trying to boast, but rather say that if I can do it, anyone can! I give full credit to my instructor as well as I am definitely not a natural with a pistol.
    TSiWRX likes this.

Yes absolutely. I would hope most anyone can. I do a lot of dry fire practice with different scenarios frequently

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I haven't done this in awhile but I do keep records and here is what I found from a few years ago. Keep in mind these times are personal records not necessarily repeatable every time.

From 3 yards
    Draw from holster, two to the body, one to the head - 1.64s

From 7 yards
    Draw from holster, two to the body, reload, two to the body - 3.62s

From 25 yards
    Draw from holster, two to the body - 1.94s

Edited to add this is from an OWB holster and no cover garment.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

At 7 yards from Concealment I can draw, double-tap the target, and be moving backwards in 1.60 seconds. I hit the target every single time. I can do this in the dark, or anywhere I need to.

VIP Member
    I'll admit that shooting while moving is my weak-point. It's like some sort of mental disability for me. I've practiced, and honestly never improved much.

My work around is to move first, start the draw, then stop to shoot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'll admit that shooting while moving is my weak-point. It's like some sort of mental disability for me. I've practiced, and honestly never improved much.

My work around is to move first, start the draw, then stop to shoot.
    Put that all in the form of a poll, and I'm betting the overwhelming majority will put themselves in the same catagory.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    At 7 yards from Concealment I can draw, double-tap the target, and be moving backwards in 1.60 seconds. I hit the target every single time. I can do this in the dark, or anywhere I need to.
    What does moving backward get you?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links