How many members here can accomplish this drill? - Page 5

How many members here can accomplish this drill?

This is a discussion on How many members here can accomplish this drill? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 What does moving backward get you? Distance from the threat.......

View Poll Results: From CC can you draw, fire and effectiely hit the target in 2 seconds?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

166 64.84%
  • No

18 7.03%
  • Never tried before

67 26.17%
  • Don't need to

5 1.95%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: How many members here can accomplish this drill?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What does moving backward get you?
    Distance from the threat....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    What does moving backward get you?
    Me laying on my arse.
    suntzu, atctimmy and scgunlover1 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Distance from the threat....
    Again, to what end? I understanding breaking laterally, but moving backward doesn't get one off the X.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Yep. Had to do it in a couple of advanced classes. Also, learned to move "Off the X" and shoot while moving forward, diagonally--both forward and backward--and backward at multiple targets. Unfortunately, don't get to practice with live ammo much, since most ranges do not allow drawing and moving! I do practice my draw and "dryfiring" though.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Again, to what end? I understanding breaking laterally, but moving backward doesn't get one off the X.
    How many sides does your X have??

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    How many sides does your X have??
    Left and right. Yours?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Left and right. Yours?
    360 degrees....You never know when you have to move in any direction off that X.....

Have you ever done any dynamic training?
    suntzu and tacman605 like this.

VIP Member
    There have been similar discussions about this before. Yes in a perfect world getting off the X would take you laterally out of the line of fire or at least make the other guy have to stop and reacquire you but the world is not perfect so you have to adapt.

Zero to six feet is what is known as the hole. It is someplace you do not want to be. Your opponent does not have to be certified with anything, an expert shooter, in good physical shape he just has to reach you or hit you with whatever weapon he happens to be using. In virtually all self defense type situations distance is your friend. Creating distance simply puts you out of reach of bladed or impact weapons, makes you a harder target in the event you are facing a firearm and gives you more space/time to react.

Now keep in mind this is when the assailant is not advancing, obviously if you are moving back and he is moving forward the distance will pretty much remain equal but you still have to be able to shoot while moving. Upon contact you engage in a method suited for close quarters and continually create distance, keep firing all the while doing what I call fighting your way to the sights. Just like this......

Phoenix Tactical Solutions: Close Contact Handgun Drill - 2 Plus 8 - YouTube

There could/would also be enviromental or physical limitations to lateral movement. If the situation occured between two parked cars, a narrow alley or hallway you have nowhere to go but back, you will not be the one dictating the situation the BG will you will simply be reacting to whatever he does.

There is one other option in some cases aggressive movement forward while firing which could/would either eliminate the opponent or make him not want to play anymore and retreat, but this is one of those situations all or nothing you cannot hesitate once you have started your movement. Again this is when there is simply nowhere else to go.

The "X" is not just side to side it encompasses all directions simply because the world encompasses all directions.

This is a figure eight drill to teach you to shoot in a 360 degree enviroment.

Figure-8 Drill - YouTube
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    360 degrees....You never know when you have to move in any direction off that X.....

Have you ever done any dynamic training?
    Yes, but no matter how far up or down one moves on the X axis, one is still on it.
    William T. Sherman

You need to learn 3d movement in all directions. If you are in alley, hallway, you might need to engage the FIRST target if multiple while moving backwards which may be your only avenue for retreat or place for cover or concealment. You can not ever discount how you might have to move.

VIP Member
    LOL well Mike you are absolutely correct you are still on the X and you will probably get shot, stabbed or hit, such is life brother.

Up, down, left, right, back or forward getting off the "X" is not some magical, click your heels three times and all is better, it simply makes you a harder target for a very, very short time frame BUT you do not choose your surroundings or dictate the event you are reactionary so you cannot stop and get a do over you better damn well know how to react and shoot in different enviroments, positions, distances and from every place on the X, which if you haven't noticed has four points so at least four directions and is simply easier to use get off the X instead of get off the asterick "*".
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    LOL well Mike you are absolutely correct you are still on the X and you will probably get shot, stabbed or hit, such is life brother.

Up, down, left, right, back or forward getting off the "X" is not some magical, click your heels three times and all is better, it simply makes you a harder target for a very, very short time frame BUT you do not choose your surroundings or dictate the event you are reactionary so you cannot stop and get a do over you better damn well know how to react and shoot in different enviroments, positions, distances and from every place on the X, which if you haven't noticed has four points so at least four directions and is simply easier to use get off the X instead of get off the asterick "*".
    Click, click, theres no place like home.....

Hey Mike, what he said....^^^^^^^^^^^^
    tacman605, Mike1956 and sgb like this.

All Business posted:
    "Draw, 1 on target, speed reload, 1 on target in 2.38 at 5 yards. By far the coolest thing ive done in my life. If I were told to do that in a real life scenario... probably around 5 to 10 seconds given I didn't drop my magazine along with the log in my pants. "

That is phenomenal even in practice. I just shot my first IDPA this past weekend and reloads (1911 officer's ACP) were definitely a weak point despite my practice before hand. It's amazing what a little stress will do.

I guess that so long as you can draw and fire faster than you can call 911 and get a response you are in a better position to survive than most people.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member
    Lots of dry-fire practice from both an IWB and an OWB holster, lots of live-fire practice at the range (early in the morning when there's seldom anyone else there), lots of practice ripping off follow-up shots at the trigger reset rather than allowing the trigger on my P238 to travel all the way forward.... 2-3 center mass hits is doable in 2 seconds. From a pocket holster or a belly-band, not so much.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links