House clearing. Sometimes you just gotta.

This is a discussion on House clearing. Sometimes you just gotta. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that clearing your house is probably last on the list of things you want to do when you hear glass breaking at 0300 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: House clearing. Sometimes you just gotta.

VIP Member

I know that clearing your house is probably last on the list of things you want to do when you hear glass breaking at 0300 but sometimes you gotta do it.

This is a pretty good video I don't think I have seen it on here before.

Tactical Tips Part-14: Clearing Your Home - YouTube

I encourage everyone to get training in something like this or practice using the techniques shown.
    Spirit51 and DontTreadOnI like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I am sorely lacking in this skillset. Thanks for posting and forcing me to think. Watching the "slicing" procedure, the retention prior to stepping back out of a door...all very interesting and totally understandable... I do have a question though...when recognizing there was a shooter in the room, WHY challenge him to "drop the gun" prior to shooting? Why not just eliminate the threat?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have been trained and done this for years. All I can say is that no matter how often you have done it, you need to keep learning, practicing, and talking to others who have done it. One of the biggest problems when clearing a house is tripping and staying balanced while moving. Tripping over your own feet, kids toys, CATS (the never feel like they should move for you!), that chair you forgot to put back under the table. Just my 2 cents.
    AOK likes this.

Depends on your motives, mindset and applicable laws. Me personally, no one intruding in my home gets a chance. If they're in my home, they actively broke in looking to commit a crime, knowing I was there. They went looking for a fight and I can't take a chance that they'll decide not to fight after all.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

One hand on the light And one on the gun is the wright way ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

What was shown in the video is the tip of the iceberg. After running thru many of these types of situations, you learn what to look for. I would recommend sims training if you can get it. It is far and away the most realistic way to train for these types of situations....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    1st Sgt.

As has been stated this is just the beginning. There are several good videos on youtube as long as you stick with the big name, for the lack of a better word, instructors. Rob Pincus, Panteo Productions and more offer some quality techniques although nothing would replace real training.

As far as the question about the verbal challenge. Some advocate it some don't it is a personal choice I guess. If I have my weapon trained on someone and at the advantage I would probably give a challenge but that is me. To me it would give me the final opprotunity to identify the threat before engaging.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Clearing a house is dangerous. Clearing a house by yourself multiplies that danger. Getting your spouse some training so they can at least hold the hallway while you clear the rooms would increase your survivability substantially.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

AOK
    I love Dave Spaulding's work. His book "Handgun Combatives" the second edition is a great read and I'd love to train with him one day.

I've seen this video before and one of the places I learned room clearing covered a lot of the same tactics as he demonstrates in this video. Currently I have been training at another facility/shoothouse and they teach some different approaches than the ones demonstrated in this video. For example, he spends WAY to much time in the hallway (a fatal funnel) while slicing the pie just to enter a room. He could easily get picked off from another room down the hall. Yes, going to fast can be a bad thing but depending on the situation going to slow can be just as bad if not worse.

Secondly, he gets into what some would consider a square range mentality by coming to a complete standstill, yelling, then still standing in the same location while engaging the intruder. As we all know, moving targets are harder to hit and standing behind drywall (which is just concealment not cover) exchanging fire does not sound like a good idea to me.

Lastly, he likes going into a retention position before entering the room. That is an good option I originally learned as well. My most rescent training prefers we go into a #3 position when entering a room instead. You can still easily transition to the #2 if necessary or #4 (when it's time to OWN the room) as needed. The reasons... If you don't transition hands and you start to slice that last bit of pie and clear the fatal funnel, depending which hand you have the gun in and which side of a room you are moving towards you may end up with the gun behind the door. However, if you have transitioned then your firearm is at the furthest axis point to engage an intruder in the corner of the room. I'm not saying his approach is wrong, just like many other areas in self defense there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally there are certain parts of my house where I would go into the #2 position and some places I would go into the #3 position after clearing a fatal funnel.

Great video but it is just A way to clear a house, not THEE way.

If you notice in the video it is not shot in a 3AM lighting setting (meaning no light).

Unless one knows for certain that a loved one of yours is somewhere between you and the "noise" you hear and could be in danger forget the attempt to clear the premises. It has been posted on this forum and other places on the internet to have a defensive plan with you and your loved ones to hopefully eliminate an attempt to need to clear the premises.

Most if not all the "Castle Doctrine", "Stand Your Ground Laws", etc., still require the element of "self defense". Someone once told me there are more dead heroes that live ones.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links