The Warrior as protector of society

This is a discussion on The Warrior as protector of society within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is an excerpt from the article Virtue of the Sword By James Williams, found at http://www.milfitmag.com/sample/page.php?id=44 The Warrior as protector of society The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Warrior as protector of society

JT [OP]

The following is an excerpt from the article Virtue of the Sword By James Williams, found at http://www.milfitmag.com/sample/page.php?id=44

The warrior protects and defends because he realizes the value of others. He knows that they are essential to society and, in his gift of service, recognizes and values theirs. This responsibility translates to children as well. When in a public bathroom, keep an eye on any children that may be in there. Even wait an extra moment or two to make sure that they are safely out of the restroom before you leave. It is an unfortunate fact that public restrooms are frequented by pedophiles and potential kidnappers. Being a father myself I feel a serious responsibility to all children and hope that other males will help look after mine when I am not present. I cannot count the number of times that I have seen nervous mothers waiting outside of a public bathroom for a young son. Make a point, even to telling the mother, that you will keep an eye on the safety of her child in an area in which she cannot go.

There are other ways in which we can be of daily use. For instance, take the extra moment in dark parking lots at night to make sure that a woman gets into her car safely before leaving yourself. Daily involvement in acts such as these are as much a part of training as time spent in the dojo, and indeed should be the reason for that time spent training.

The role and ability to protect and defend does not give the warrior-protector the right to misuse this strength and knowledge. You are not superior to nor do you have the right to take advantage of others by means of this strength and ability. If you breach this trust and your sacred responsibility then you are not a warrior-protector. Over the centuries this power has been misused all too often in societies to dominate and control others. This is the dark side of power and has no place in the life of the warrior seeking to live a life of virtue.

When faced with a woman or child in a situation in which they are vulnerable, there are two types of men: those who would offer succor and aid, and those who would prey upon them. And in modern society, there is another loathsome breed who would totally ignore their plight!

I remember the first time my friends and I read about an incident that happened in New York City where a woman was attacked and eventually killed over an extended period of time. This was in the early 1960's, and I think the duration of the attack was 15 to 20 minutes. Neighbors in the area could hear her calls for help; however, no one had the courage to go to her aid. My friends and I were incredulous that something like this could take place in America. How could anyone, most especially men, hear a woman being murdered and not involve themselves in her defense. Many current laws actually place the person who would come to another's aid in legal jeopardy. Is this a sign of social and psychological health in a society?

In 1977 I was teaching and competing in boxing and kick boxing and teaching women and seniors self-defense through the Institute for Better Health in Santa Rosa, California. An incident took place in Rancho Cordova, California that had a big impact on me both as a man and a martial artist. This incident was a home invasion rape and murder. A husband and wife were both home when they heard a noise in the master bedroom. The man went to investigate and was confronted by an intruder with a knife who had entered through the bedroom window. Being threatened with the knife the husband capitulated and allowed himself to be led into the front room and tied to a chair. The criminal then raped the wife in front of the husband who could do nothing but watch. After finishing with the rape, the criminal got a hammer from the garage and proceeded to beat the husband to death in front of the wife. After he had brutally killed the husband he turned the hammer on the wife leaving her for dead. The wife, who was not dead, managed to crawl out of the house where neighbors heard her mewling and came to her aid. She suffered physical and emotional scars that marred her for life.

I often wonder what would go through a man's mind when he fails through fear and lack of training to fulfill his responsibility in such circumstances. We all have fear. That is why it is necessary to prepare, to train, to understand the part that we play in the dance of life. How much more honorable, more noble, to have engaged the assailant, even if there was slim chance for personal victory, and in doing so give your wife the opportunity to escape! Preparation for such an eventuality could have provided a better outcome for both.

In 1984, a good friend of mine, Toby Threadgill, who now teaches samurai arts in Texas, was faced with a more difficult situation. He was awakened from sleep by two men who had followed his wife home from her nursing job late one night with the intention of raping her. One held a gun to his head while the other went looking for his wife. Realizing their intent, and at the risk of his life, my friend managed to disarm the gunman by driving him through a sliding-glass door. Then confronted by the knife wielding second man he managed, although sustaining a serious wound, to disarm and incapacitate him. Although a likeable and easy going person, Toby had prepared himself mentally and physically so that when faced with a dangerous situation he had both the tools and the courage to use them. How much better the outcome!

Society becomes vulnerable to every kind of threat when men no longer feel the need to prepare themselves by acquiring skills to protect and defend society, especially women and children. When men no longer take responsibility for being male and when a sense of duty is replaced by self-concern and self-indulgence, society looses its greatest strength- the mutual caring and commitment of its citizens for each other.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hopefully....most of us are doing these things already.

It does help as a reminder to slow down our lives a little & pay better attention to our & OTHERS surrondings.

You never know when or where a BG will find a victim. With due & deligent vigilance, maybe, just maybe we can prevent not only a BGs ill will towards ourselves, but to those around us as well.

Stay armed, stay aware & stay safe.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Unfortunately we are turning into a nation of wimps. Self-absorbed wimps. Part of this is due to the fact that if you try to help someone in trouble half the time you end up getting sued. I blame the lawyers in this country for a lot of this mentality and the left for the rest.

A couple of months ago one of the morning shows like GMA did a little experiment. They had a child on a busy street corner start screaming when a man grabbed them by the arm and pulled them along. Time after time adults just looked away or continued with their phone calls and pretended not to notice. Even women turned their backs on this child. I couldn't believe this. Finally a young black man and another man confronted the "attacker" and started to chase after him while an older woman was dialing 911.

All I could do is shake my head in disgust and hope that I would have intervined on behalf of the little girl if I had been walking on that sidewalk.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Sad thing is when and where I was raised this was how you were raised to behave. Then I went out into the big world and found a bunch of self absorbed whimps. Wish more people thought this way....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

No One Really Knows...

what will happen...until it does! Some may find courage that seemed hidden...others thinking they had courage, may find it melted away!
    I hope I remain aware enough to think ahead and the REAL courage to do what has to be done...who knows for sure?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Part of this is due to the fact that if you try to help someone in trouble half the time you end up getting sued. I blame the lawyers in this country for a lot of this mentality and the left for the rest.
    If this ever gets fixed, we'll see many, many more folks step up to the plate in all sorts of situations. Me included. Until then, reality bites. Big time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So many times you see in the media, after someone has fought back against the BGs, a police official saying "it is best not to take the matter into your own hands" that the general public is brainwashed into not acting.

Ususally THEY have to become a victim themselves before they get the right mindset...if then.

Our children are taught in school to not fight back no matter how badly they are mistreated, our government tells us they will take care of and protect us, we are told the BGs are just a product of their own upbringings.

B0LLSH!T!!! *I taught my two sons to not start the fights but to NOT run. When they fought back I went to the school board raising ****.
    *There was no cops anywhere in sight when I was stabbed, (they did get there before the medics then arrested the guy at the hospitol after he came to) but they weren't there protecting me. No offense to any LEOs but that is the way it is.
    *Many more come out of bad childhoods that go on to make something of them selves than that take up crime.

Ok, my 2 cents.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

As a nurse I often find myself being the only male in the building (or so it seems), and even more frequently I find myself being the only person around that has any type of security awareness. It always amazes me when my coworkers are surprised when I offer to walk them to the parking lot.

One of the first things I did moving into my neighborhood is met my neighbors, the family across the street and mine have made arrangements for taking care of each others kids, and my nextdoor neighbor and I have made arrangements, I check on her husband daily and he and her keep an eye on our house.

Becareful approaching nervous women about watching their kids, if you approach my fiancee offering to watch hers you'll probally find the experience uncomfortable at best. Instead, acknowledge her nervousness, ask her whats going on, do not offer help unless she asks for it, instead reassure her and keep an eye on the kid anyways. Keep in mind the cannibals often offer help to get their victims to lower their guard. Woman know this.

Your talking about the Kitty Genovese case in NYC http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...itty_genovese/

I absolutely agree the concept your sharing is social awareness and I'm a strong advocate. great post and keep up the good work.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

so many good posts.
    thanks for the thread JT.

There's an old saying in the circle of friends that I travel in "there are no victims, only volunteers"

I'm not so sure that I agree with this saying, in all cases. However, I'm sure that I want to do everything that I can do, to not be a victim and to prevent other defenseless persons from being victimized.

I don't necessarily agree with appointing yourself some super protector and inserting yourself into other's lives however minimally. Waiting around in the restroom for a child to leave could easily backfire and finger you as a possible molester - with a gun perhaps if you are searched. A well trained child may have noticed you and is wating for you to leave. When you never do he/she eventually panics and runs out of the restroom to alert someone to your presence. Same thing for hanging around in a dark parking lot watching women walk to their cars. Does no one else see the obvious problem with this?

Coming to a stranger's aid who is being attacked is one thing, and even then must be approached very carefully because you rarely know the exact truth of the situation, but these two examples he gives of "being a protector" are ill advised IMHO.

When faced with a woman or child in a situation in which they are vulnerable, there are two types of men: those who would offer succor and aid, and those who would prey upon them.
    I hope I would find myself in the first group, but I submit that there is a third and much larger group, those who would choose not to get involved out of a lack of concern or fear. Sometimes however the best possible response is just to dial 911. Don't try to be a cop if you are not. Only draw your weapon for a stranger if you know exactly what is happening. Looks can be deceiving.
    Last edited by OpFlash; September 22nd, 2006 at 12:39 PM.
    "To my mind, it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." - The Nuge

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by OpFlash View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with appointing yourself some super protector and inserting yourself into other's lives however minimally.
    Thank God that there are those who are willing to get involved and help those in need. When we lose that, we lose any sense of a civil society.
    Waiting around in the restroom for a child to leave could easily backfire and finger you as a possible molester - with a gun perhaps if you are searched. A well trained child may have noticed you and is wating for you to leave. When you never do he/she eventually panics and runs out of the restroom to alert someone to your presence. Same thing for hanging around in a dark parking lot watching women walk to their cars. Does no one else see the obvious problem with this?
    It all depends on how you handle it. You don’t lurk around. You do it in an unobtrusive, friendly manner. You don’t follow woman to make sure they are safe. You keep your eyes open for trouble, and you ask if they would like you to walk them to their cars (more often if you know them and/or work with them, than if they are strangers).

When faced with a woman or child in a situation in which they are vulnerable, there are two types of men: those who would offer succor and aid, and those who would prey upon them.
    I hope I would find myself in the first group, but I submit that there is a third and much larger group, those who would choose not to get involved out of a lack of concern or fear.
    He already provided a third group. The full quote was…
    Quote Originally Posted by James Williams
    When faced with a woman or child in a situation in which they are vulnerable, there are two types of men: those who would offer succor and aid, and those who would prey upon them. And in modern society, there is another loathsome breed who would totally ignore their plight!
    Not that I'm labeling anyone, just pointing out that he addessed this.

Sometimes however the best possible response is just to dial 911. Don't try to be a cop if you are not.
    Often there is not time to call a cop. That’s one of the reasons we carry. Many would say that you are “trying to be a cop” just by carrying a weapon.

We all know that there are not enough cops to be everywhere and protect us. That is why we take our own personal protection in our own hands. When we are in a situation where a fellow human being is vulnerable or in need of help, and there are no cops around, I believe it is the decent and moral thing to do, to help them if we are able. Those of us who have trained in self-defense are likely to be able to provide assistance.

It's your personal choice, but I for one feel a moral obligation to use my skills and training to help those in need, if I am able. I’m not trying to play cop. Or Superman. I’m just trying to be a good person by looking out for my fellow man. And call me old fashioned, but when it comes to women and children, I’m going to be there for them.
    Last edited by JT; September 22nd, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

When I was young, maybe 6 or 7 years old, there was a kid about my age who lived next door. He and I played together, went to school together, and were pretty close buddies. His dad didn't live with the kid and his mom for a while and one day moved in with them. To make a long story short, every evening, when the dad (for lack of a better term) got home from work, me and my mom and dad could hear this little boy getting beaten with a belt, for what seemed like a long time. This was EVERY DAY. Now I got whipped with a belt a couple of times as a kid, and I deserved it and learned from it. But this was EVERY DAY! I finally started begging my dad to go over and help the boy, which naturally, he wouldn't. I begged him to call the police, which sadly enough, he didn't. He said it was none of our business, and we should stay out of it. They finally moved away and we never heard from them, but that set in my mind, that I would NEVER ignore someone who needs help and simply walk on by and do nothing.
    Doing something may simply be dialing 911, if there is time, but that at least is better than saying it is none of my business. I guess that is why I feel so strongly about wortking in LE.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    It all depends on how you handle it. You don’t lurk around. You do it in an unobtrusive, friendly manner. You don’t follow woman to make sure they are safe. You keep your eyes open for trouble, and you ask if they would like you to walk them to their cars (more often if you know them and/or work with them, than if they are strangers).
    I wasn't saying to follow anyone, but just the act of taking obvious notice of a woman walking to her car until she gets in can easily be taken the wrong way by her or others, and waiting around in a bathroom until a child comes out of the stall obviously can as well. I dont't think we disagree, and I don't think I disagree with the intent of the author's statements, I just think he used questionable examples or didn't clarify the ones he used well enough. Reading what he wrote had me immediately thinking of a likely Family Guy skit: "Peter Griffin, Offical Protector!" along the lines of when he got his CPR training. If you aren't familiar with that FG episode, my apologies.

He already provided a third group. The full quote was…
    My bad, I didn't notice that.

Often there is not time to call a cop. That’s one of the reasons we carry. Many would say that you are “trying to be a cop” just by carrying a weapon.

We all know that there are not enough cops to be everywhere and protect us. That is why we take our own personal protection in our own hands. When we are in a situation where a fellow human being is vulnerable or in need of help, and there are no cops around, I believe it is the decent and moral thing to do, to help them if we are able. Those of us who have trained in self-defense are likely to be able to provide assistance.
    If you've been trained in self defense you should also have been told how careful you have to be before you go running to someone's rescue. Charging in like Don Quixote is usually not smart unless you witnessed the entire confrontation fromthe begining. Again I don't think we really disagree, but I didn't hear any sensible words of caution expressed by the author you quoted and I was hoping to temper his statements with a touch of reality.
    "To my mind, it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." - The Nuge

Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    When I was young, maybe 6 or 7 years old, there was a kid about my age who lived next door. He and I played together, went to school together, and were pretty close buddies. His dad didn't live with the kid and his mom for a while and one day moved in with them. To make a long story short, every evening, when the dad (for lack of a better term) got home from work, me and my mom and dad could hear this little boy getting beaten with a belt, for what seemed like a long time. This was EVERY DAY. Now I got whipped with a belt a couple of times as a kid, and I deserved it and learned from it. But this was EVERY DAY! I finally started begging my dad to go over and help the boy, which naturally, he wouldn't. I begged him to call the police, which sadly enough, he didn't. He said it was none of our business, and we should stay out of it. They finally moved away and we never heard from them, but that set in my mind, that I would NEVER ignore someone who needs help and simply walk on by and do nothing.
    Doing something may simply be dialing 911, if there is time, but that at least is better than saying it is none of my business. I guess that is why I feel so strongly about wortking in LE.

Charlie
    That is a very moving (and thankfully in your case motivating) story. Thank you for sharing it.

JT [OP]
    If you've been trained in self defense you should also have been told how careful you have to be before you go running to someone's rescue. Charging in like Don Quixote is usually not smart unless you witnessed the entire confrontation fromthe begining. Again I don't think we really disagree, but I didn't hear any sensible words of caution expressed by the author you quoted and I was hoping to temper his statements with a touch of reality.
    Yes, I am well aware of how careful you have to be in these types of situations. But I also know how to stop an incident before it even starts, or turn a developing situation to a favorable outcome by making my presence and resolve known. A majority of predators are cowards. They want an easy victim, not a real fight.

Often it is a matter of stopping the incident before it begins. You can’t call the cops and say, “Hey, I think some scum bag is stalking this lady.” They generally won’t respond just because you have a feeling that something is wrong. But you can make your presence known to the predator to let them know that someone stands between them and what they thought was easy prey. It’s a balance of positioning, posture, eye contact, etc to let them know you are a potential threat, without it being so overt that you provoke or force them into action against you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links