Any training in central Iowa July 2-4?

This is a discussion on Any training in central Iowa July 2-4? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, My family and I are driving up from Birmingham, Alabama to Ames, Iowa to visit family. My wife will be visiting, but my ...

Thread: Any training in central Iowa July 2-4?

Any training in central Iowa July 2-4?

Hi All,
    My family and I are driving up from Birmingham, Alabama to Ames, Iowa to visit family. My wife will be visiting, but my son and I are looking for something to do. Anyone know of any handgun training or public ranges around this area?
    Thanks!
    Peabo

2. Remove Ads

Not on those dates, but if you want to drive over to the Waterloo area, I'll show you a few things from Rob Pincus! (I am not a certified CFS instructor, but I have taken the class 4 tines)
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the area!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabo View Post
    Hi All,
    My family and I are driving up from Birmingham, Alabama to Ames, Iowa to visit family. My wife will be visiting, but my son and I are looking for something to do. Anyone know of any handgun training or public ranges around this area?
    Thanks!
    Peabo

Well as the 4th is on a Wednesday we'll probably be in town. There's a steel shoot in @ the Ames Izaak Walton on Wed. nights, not sure if they'll be running on the 4th or not. Most training classes are done on the weekend, not sure where we plan on being but we'll probably be in WI on one of those weekends.

If you want to drive over to Marshalltown (45 minutes from Ames) there's an in-door range, it's members only but I'd be more than happy to meet up with you for some shootin'. Be advised it's currently 50' fixed target points and it's hot in there during the summer.

How old is your son? Just an FYI, in Iowa minors under 14 are prohibited from firing a handgun...yeah, it's lame.

724.22 Persons under twenty-one sale, loan, gift, making available possession.
    5. A parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty-one years of age or older, of a person fourteen years of age but less than twenty-one may allow the person to possess a pistol or revolver or the ammunition therefor for any lawful purpose while under the direct supervision of the parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty-one years of age or older, or while the person receives instruction in the proper use thereof from an instructor twenty-one years of age or older, with the consent of such parent, guardian or spouse.

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

My son is 13, so I am glad you mentioned the age limit, since this affects our choices. We are driving up in our RV, and staying at the Prairie Flower campground on or near Saylorville Lake. We have never been to this part of the country so we are looking forward to it.

I will see if I can get away to the Waterloo area or Marshaltown during our visit.

Thank you all again for your help!

Peabo

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabo View Post
    Thank you all for the helpful replies!

My son is 13, so I am glad you mentioned the age limit, since this affects our choices. We are driving up in our RV, and staying at the Prairie Flower campground on or near Saylorville Lake. We have never been to this part of the country so we are looking forward to it.

I will see if I can get away to the Waterloo area or Marshaltown during our visit.

Thank you all again for your help!

Peabo
    Your welcome, be advised that Sailorville Lake is a Corps of Engineer property and carry is prohibited, will check into the possesion of firearms itself but you may want to call in yourself regarding such.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

More great local info I didn't know. I will call and find out the rules regarding firearms at this campground.

Thank you again,
    Peabo

Your RV is considered your home,so the guns can stay in there and you'll be fine. With the number of great camp grounds in the area, I'd consider staying at one of them. If you need some help with that, let me know. I'll do ya some leg work. Waterloo is about 90 miles from there, and Marshalltown is about 45, both to the NE. Most folks find me regular practice routine pretty instrutional, and we can do that as well if you come up. Plan on about 400 rounds and 4 hours on the range for the basic version.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

This may be a little of question,but p.m me when you get back if you want to do some classes through the A.D.P.A,Talon Defense,anything from Handgun 1 to PROSEC,pistol,carbine or shotgun,edged weapons,FOF and eqcb.We operate in B-ham,Montgomery and the Gadsden P.D Range.

Links