Shooting with 1 eye or 2?

This is a discussion on Shooting with 1 eye or 2? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dion't know if this has been discussed ot not, but I'm trying to transition from shooting with 1 eye open to having both eyes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with 1 eye or 2?

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Shooting with 1 eye or 2?

I dion't know if this has been discussed ot not, but I'm trying to transition from shooting with 1 eye open to having both eyes open and I'm having a hell of a time.

I shoot ok with 1 eye, but when I try to go both eyes open I'm lucky to hit the paper. I know It takes alot of practice to change your style but does anyone have any tips on this?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Try practicing aiming and dryfiring with both eyes open.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

when I shoot for accuracy at the range I use one eye, but I use both eyes when its a quick "Point and shoot" at something larger sized. (like silhouettes)

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I retrained myself to do this....both left and right hands...by practicing at about 5 yards.
    I still close one eye for long distances...say 10-50 yards, but that is usually the relm of target shooting.

One or Two...

at my age, I just glad my eyes still work...well, barely! I still use only one!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the trick for me is to quickly identify the dominant eye perspective, and training yourself to focus on that.

try holding up one finger at arms length and focus on a spot in the distance while focusing on the finger.
    Now, close one eye at a time.
    The eye that is opened when your finger does not appear to move, is your dominant eye.

Now, you can practice immediately focusing on the dominant eye perspective when both eyes are open.

Hope that makes sense.

Pretty Good Coverage

This question was discussed in quite detail on the site, http://www.packing4life.com
    under the heading, General, Newbie Questions, "Winking while you shoot". I think you'll find some very good answers there.

GOOD LUCK!!!

also, if you're into shotgunning, trapshooting is a good place to hone this skill.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    What are you looking at when you "take aim"?

I find a lot of my students benefit from focusing on the front sight and then lining it up with your target. While shooting you can still see the target, but the focus is on the front sight.

However, for practical CCW type shooting, I recommend tracking with your finger. This will develop your ability to "point and shoot". The "point and shoot" is done with both eyes open and is, in my opinion, the most useful shooting technique for CCW and patrol LEO scenarios.

Practice does not always need to be done at the range. Get a $30 pellet gun from Wal-Mart and an indoor target, an air soft gun, or even a water gun. You can get a lot of benefit from this type of "shooting". NOTE: Be sure to set your "target" up in a safe area like a garage, basement, or room where you have an adequate backdrop for what you are firing. You may miss the target.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

I second the ideas here.

I learned to shoot with one eye, but taught myself to shoot with two eyes quite by accident. One fine day hunting, I took aim at a running deer while I too was running. I took aim, shot, and the deer fell. It was only then that I realized I was tracking the deer with my left eye and aiming with my right. The immediate advantage of this skill now aparent, I began to train it forthright.

The skills/tips I have found most usefull in practical shooting with rifles and pistols are:

1. Two eye aiming.
    2. Natural point of aim / point shooting. (Instinctive/reflexive)
    3. Proper use of a shooting sling.
    4. Constant practice of the most difficult of skills, the trigger squeeze.

That said, I often use a BB gun in my living room to practice. It is economical, effective and affords me the opportunity to shoot very often. The affect on my practical shooting with the combination of these things has kept me alive, and produced better one shot kills than ever before.

VIP Member
    I use both eyes open.....by training your eyes to ignore the double-vision and focus on the front sight you gain a great advantage in peripheral vision and staving off face fatigue.....by closing one eye for a period of time, you force the muscles of your face to work harder than keeping both your eyes open.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Both eyes, front sight works well for me....
    Good luck, I recommend an airsoft for economy....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Explaination

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    This question was discussed in quite detail on the site, http://www.packing4life.com
    under the heading, General, Newbie Questions, "Winking while you shoot". I think you'll find some very good answers there.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    To shoot with both eyes:
    Point your gun at a target spot say maybe 15' away. Look at the target, NOT THE GUN,. Your vision will see 2 guns in front of you. Remember your not looking at the gun, your focusing on the target. Now align the gun on the left with the target and shoot. Forget all the principles of target shooting. This is not precision, but survival. If your left handed, it would be just the opposite. If you try to take time to "aim, breathe, steady trigger squeeze, etc., your vision will probable start going screwy. This is the proper method for combat style, point aim shooting. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, however, try it and I think you'll like it.

Good Luck!!!

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    lots of good info, I know for a FACT that I'm right eye dominant, it's just hard going against 21 years of habit and trying soimething new, I've allrady worn out the dry firing for tonight, there's only so many times you can hear "Click" before you go insane. My wife is a two eye shooter and does quite well, then again she was taught the 2 eyed way...just gotta get up to snuff on it. I think my probelm today is that my target was a mini bmod and even at 15 yards was a little too small. I think with a full size target I would have done better.

VIP Member
    I am working to using two eyes to shoot. I however have a real disadvantage. I am right handed and left eye dominant. But the left eye dominance is very slight and often when I use two eyes I cannot focus on the front sight because neither eye is dominant. I have gotten better at moving the pistol more toward the left and getting a sight picture that reflects reality when both eyes are open. When I fire left handed I always use both eyes and actually shoot better overall.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links