training and tactics quotes

This is a discussion on training and tactics quotes within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; how about sharing your favorite quotes about training, tactics, mental awareness and preparation, etc. my favorite: "the will to win means nothing without the will ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By semperfi.45

Thread: training and tactics quotes

training and tactics quotes

how about sharing your favorite quotes about training, tactics, mental awareness and preparation, etc.

my favorite: "the will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner/trainer

also: "the only tactics I admire are 'do-or-die.'" Herb Elliott, several times world record holder at one mile and at 1500 meters

"you can be carrying all the latest whiz-bang weapons you want, and if you're not paying attention, someone will sneak up behind you and hit you on the head with a rock." me (sensei2), to his son

"amateurs talk hardware (guns), professionals talk software." (training) someone well-known in the firearms world. Larry Vickers? Clint Smith? anyone know for sure?

"owning a gun makes one a shooter in the same way that owning a horse makes one a rider." Jeff Cooper i have heard several variations on this, i.e. owning a guitar makes one a musician. can anyone authenticate the original quote with a citation from Cooper's writings?

i would also very much like to know WHO originated your quote(s), if you know, of course.
    Last edited by sensei2; May 27th, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added request for sources
    Qhosh likes this.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    A few of my favorites...

"Without adequate knowledge of it’s use, there can be few things so purposeless and dangerous as a pistol. Adequate knowledge comes only from competent instruction."
    "…the starting point in choosing a pistol should be to buy the best pistol they can afford for the particular purpose in view. If a pistol is needed at all it may be needed very badly indeed, and poor quality contributes nothing to either safety or piece of mind."

"If that question is asked, we should reply that for ourselves, we should choose the pistol which, while being easy to carry and convenient to use would conform most nearly with the following requirements:-

(1) The maximum of stopping power.
    (2) The maximum volume of fire.
    (3) The maximum speed of discharge"

"Turing now to holster for other purposes, we strongly recommend the reader to be satisfied only with the best and to take any amount of trouble in order to get it."
    For more from the same source:

AOK
    "You do not rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training."

"You will fight like you've trained, so train like you intend to fight."

"The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in combat."

"Ability will never catch up with the demand for it."

Practice doesn't make perfect,perfect practice makes perfect. Don't know who said it, but I like it.

Train hard fight easy

VIP Member
    Some train until they get it right; some until they can't get it wrong.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    "All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu's The Art of War, as translated by Samuel B. Griffith.

"Defeat is also a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path to success and truth." Bruce Lee, Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way, Edited by John Little.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post

i first saw this quote in a young adult series of books - Ranger's Apprentice, Book 8, The Kings of Clonmel, pg. 16, by john flanagan

Shoot fast,shoot straight and shoot often.

I'm in for a few randoms I've collected, don't recall who said what but who cares...

One hour per day of study will put you at the top of your field within three years. Within five years you'll be a national authority. In seven years, you can be one of the best people in the world at what you do.

Faced with a threatening challenge or confronted by overwhelming odds, the untrained body panics. It is left to the mind to realistically assess the situation and decide the proper course of action: fight or flight, resistance or surrender, life or death…a trained mind is an asset, a tool for survival.

Keep an open mind, a beginners mind. A beginner loves to learn. He is intent and intense. Learn to communicate, listen to the words, and listen to the voice of body language. When someone shows you a different way or explains a different approach, listen keenly. Savor, digest and absorb. You cannot afford to limit your training. The more you understand any and all strategies, approaches, styles, attitudes and methods, the greater your confidence.

It’s a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don’t quit when you’re tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

My art is different from yours; it consists not in defeating others, but in not being defeated.

Do more, know more, think more, have more and want more than your opponent.

Did you lose or did they beat you. Know the difference

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face.

There is a difference between practice and training. Practice establishes the muscle memory required to perform fine and gross motor skills Training incorporates multiple elements of motor skills, thinking processes, equipment familiarity, and tactical proficiency.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

"BAM, BAM" -- Emeril Lagasse

Senior Moderator
    "Even death is a poor excuse for not fighting back."

dear Limatunes: loved your thoughtful Facebook entry. tried to respond on Facebook, but i'm very inexperienced there, and couldn't figure out how to actually POST once i had written it. glad to have this chance. sensei2

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    amatures train till they get it right
    professionals train till they can not get it wrong

closer to what i said/ what i have heard said

------------------
    i can learn you the rules; reality will teach you the exemptions
    what i've been telling students for 20 years; and i'm sure others have said it too
    -------------------
    no one drop of water thinks it's responsible for the flood
    ....remember my dad saying that
    ----------
    fastest miss i ever saw still didn't end the fight
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Links