really cheap training targets

This is a discussion on really cheap training targets within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all know how pricey formal targets have gotten, but I've got a very inexpensive solution that will set you up with thousands of practice ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: really cheap training targets

We all know how pricey formal targets have gotten, but I've got a very inexpensive solution that will set you up with thousands of practice targets for as little as five bucks.
    Newspapers, of course, use gigantic rolls of paper on their presses, and they also use what are called, "dinkeys," which are half-width rolls of newsprint (and almost exactly the same width as a human torso). When the rolls get down to a certain size, they have to be replaced with a new one, but the old roll often still has hundreds feet left on it. Newspapers sometimes give these away, but more often simply sell them for a few bucks. Get yourself a "dinkey," then, using a straight-edge like a yardstick, simply unroll two or three feet, and rip it off. Quick, easy, and they fit beautifully on 18" and 24" wide target holders. I like them because they are blank, forcing you to visualize the target zones yourself.
    Now, if I could just find someplace that gives out leftover ammo.......
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Excellent idea, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Now, if I could just find someplace that gives out leftover ammo.......
    I like to call them the former Soviet Union.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

LOL!
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

VIP Member
    Bowling alleys often give away used pins. They are great targets especially if you get a bad hit they tend to spin and roll around making them even harder.

Balloons also work well and give instant feedback.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Death row inmates?
    gunthorp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Death row inmates?
    There not cheap....LMAO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Balloons also work well and give instant feedback.
    I like this idea, they're cheap, you can put a half dozen or so on a string between two supports and go nuts. I do the same thing with food colored water in milk jugs.

Wooden clothes pins hanging on a line. I like to use those with .22s

Also, golf balls. Golf tees too, when I'm trying to get real small with my target.

Small paper plates also work (saucer size).

At the range, I always take a pack of post-it notes 2" x 2". Makes a great target for SD rounds. Pull target in, put a few post-its on it here and there, run it back out. Saves a lot of time on the range.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I've been shooting used 9" paper plates for years. Back side....don't matter if it was lasagna or chicken and rice. I recycle when I can.

VIP Member
    Good ideas. Vitamin C tabs make a nice orange puff. Whatever happened to keeping the pop can moving?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Empty prescription bottles with the labels peeled off work well too. For extra feedback, fill them with flour.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sponsored Links