How much of the "point shooting" skill is independent of the weapon used?

This is a discussion on How much of the "point shooting" skill is independent of the weapon used? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that to develop the most skill in point shooting a particular gun one should practice most with the particular gun. However, does practicing ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: How much of the "point shooting" skill is independent of the weapon used?

VIP Member

I realize that to develop the most skill in point shooting a particular gun one should practice most with the particular gun. However, does practicing point shooting with a ".22 analog" help hone the skill for a larger caliber gun?

I have two main carry guns - a Model 60 and a Model 642. I practice point shooting with both, and have seen some improvement since I've started. I'm all in the "pie plate" at five yards, and all in the torso at 7 yards. When I first started I had frequent misses. Anyway, nothing that will win competitions, but hopefully enough to stop a threat.

Shooting .38's as much as I would like to, however, would break the bank, so on my range trips I usually bring some .22's for bullseye and target shooting after I'm done with the real practice. Now I recently acquired a SW model 63-5, which is an 8-shot, 3" barrel .22. I have the same grips on the 63 as I do with my 60 and 642, and the trigger pull is nearly identical. The only difference is the recoil dynamics - the .22 has almost no recoil compared to the .38's. Regardless, one of the most important shots is the first, isn't it? So in addition to regular practice with the '38's, do you think additional practice with the .22 can help hone the skill on the .38's?

For that matter, how much of the acquired point shooting skill can one retain with different weapons (once one become reasonably familiar with the weapon)?

Appreciate your thought on this...

thanks

Administrator
    So in addition to regular practice with the '38's, do you think additional practice with the .22 can help hone the skill on the .38's?

Absolutely!

Go here...scroll down to Quick Kill (QK) or read the entire page. it's good reading.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Interesting! How did I miss that? Thanks for the info!

Skills are skills....tools are tools. Train with the tool you will use otherwise, you're kidding yourself. These days it always seems to revolve around cost of training. What's your life worth? Train with 22LR may get you in a habit....training with your full size caliber and pistol will make you invincible. Never second guess anything when it comes to survival. If you do....you're throwing your trust in the wind. Economics suck in many ways.......they don't necessarily need to rule your mind. In the end....your mind is gonna save you...not your ammo or your pistol. Learn how do deal with your tools and put your mind to work. If not....you'll simply fail, and your weapon will be picked up by the enemy to use on the next crime.
    tacman605 likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't see how it will hurt.
    as long as you are still running ammo through the other firearms, go for it.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    I train with .22's a lot. As has been stated skills are skills and tools are tools.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

For me if the grip of the guns are not very similar in shape my point shooting accuracy will be lousy using different guns. For instance switching from a single action revolver to a double action revolver is difficult for me. A double action revolver does not point well for me. I did purchase a Ruger 22/45 semi auto 22 which has grips like a 1911 which I hope will help my point shooting when using my 1911.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    My understanding is the secret to good point shooting is knowing parallel to the ground with the gun. You should be able to find parallel with any gun you pick up.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

G'morning, first coffee, no civilized human goes into combat without coffee.

Simply use a large mirror, extremely cheap and very effective. You are pointing and shooting at yourself. In combat the first shot is extremely important, in fact will prob determine the outcome, so first point and fire is more dependent upon practice. This the same with a loaded pistol as wth an unloaded one. The recoil and noise factor comes later for succeeding shots. But if you have trained well, there probably will be no ned for succeeding shots.

Don Jose de La Mancha

I practice point shooting with my .45s, 9 mm and .380. There is some difference in accuracy, particularly with the little .380. Between the guns within the same caliber, I don't notice much difference. So, in my case, I would say that the differences I notice are due to the caliber I'm shooting.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    your forming muscle memory based off of see with the eyes, point with the (gun)hand

caliber independent other than as it goes to your ability to control shot placement
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

to your question on .22's .. ... yes, it will help.

BUT

You still need to hone point-shooting rapidly with the .38 at some point, as the recoil has to be taken into account when rapid shooting.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links