How often do you practice presenting your weapon?

This is a discussion on How often do you practice presenting your weapon? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry everyday, whether concealed or open carry. I visit the range at least once a month, if not twice. I practice rapid different shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How often do you practice presenting your weapon?

How often do you practice presenting your weapon?

I carry everyday, whether concealed or open carry. I visit the range at least once a month, if not twice. I practice rapid different shooting techniques, such as double tap, shooting on the move, weak hand, one-handed, etc. But one thing I have not been spending any time on is practicing presenting my weapon.

I watched a video the other day and saw how fast the shooter was reloading. I thought to myself how I never practice reloads. Then it hit that I also haven't been practicing my presentation either. I used to be pretty fast at moving my concealment garment, drawing, and setting up on target. I even have a sillouette target on the wall for just such practice.

Since it is very important to be faster than the other guy, I have decided to commit to presentation drills everyday. And since I sometimes carry a sub-compact in my pocket, that should be included in the practice. Also, I think something to take into consideration is environment. I am thinking of practicing presenting in confined spaces, such as the car or a narrow hallway.

I think these practices will be very beneficial and recommend that everyone should do them at least periodically. Its all about muscle memory.

Most important about practice, make sure your weapon is UNLOADED.
    TSiWRX likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I "dry" practice presentation at least every couple of days. I carry a Glock 19 with the standard 15 round mag +1 in the chamber and a Glock 17 mag with a factory +2 extension which gives me a 19 round spare. The only reason I mention what I carry with what magazines is to help explain one of the things I like to practice. Something I like to do when I'm shooting is load up my magazines with a random number of rounds. I then set up the way I carry with a 15 rounder in the pistol and my spare in it's holder next to my E2D....all of which is covered with my typical T-shirt/polo cover shirt.

I place 2-4 targets (paper plates) at varying ranges....from touching distance to 7 yards usually. I then walk around the firing line a little, quickly pick a target, draw and engage. I then assess the "threat" and choose the next closest target to engage. Somewhere in there I'll run out of rounds and have to reload before engaging the rest of the targets. I like how it forces me to work a reload in at random times. This helps with both manipulating the weapon with your choice method and also reloading from wherever it is that you keep your extra mag. None of this stuff is groundbreaking training, but it's super easy to do and it also stretches the time and money you spend at the range by keeping you from blowing through all your ammo in minutes. There's no faster way to burn ammo in a short time than fully preloading all of your spare mags and going to town on controlled pairs and NSR's

Oh, and the "range" I'm at is on private land off in the woods so don't anyone get any ideas of me being some jackass at a public range putting other people at risk by moving and shooting. lol

Great thread topic, and to answer the question, not nearly enough. I go to the range 3-4 times a month and practice a lot presenting and firing from the compressed ready position. We are not allowed to draw and fire. It's something I've been bugging myself about a lot lately: doing more dry-fire practice including drawing/presenting from my CC holster. Also on my list is joining a private range farther from where I live that allows drawing and shooting while moving. That, and making an appointment to get some private training.

Thanks for the reminder to get more serious about being prepared.
    Gunga Galunga

Most indoor ranges won't allow you to draw from your holster. If your fortunate enough to have a good well supervised outdoor range to practice on,every practice session should include your draw,mag changes,scan and assess, along with live fire. I think its important to push yourself a little out of your comfort zone when you practice.When you do a live fire drill,start slow and smooth and gradually increase the speed to a point where your not getting the hits you really want,and back off just slightly. You will find that your speed and comfort level will increase doing this. And,its fun.

I dry fire practice every couple of days when I'm bored and think of it. Like others, my range doesn't allow movement and shooting therefore that's hard. My brothers and i are building a cabin now and it has a berm and were going to build a "shooting range" there for all kinds of practice. But until then its just classes that give me the chance to get off the "X"

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I practice drawing and presenting in my back yard (completley unloaded, mags in the house) about once a week. Unfortunately, the range I go to does not allow drawing. I also practice mag changes (again unloaded, ammo in the house), but I am afraid that without training in context, I am not getting the best practice.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Great topic - great post, OP.

Virtually every good trainer/school will tell you to "draw like you mean it." Any time you draw your firearm, that's one more chance to get in a good repetition and burn in that set of skills into your muscle memory.

One of my local instructors, Bill Holcomb of Three Tango Firearms Academy, routinely implores his students to make a habit of getting in fifteen full draw-strokes in the AM, during the "arm up" process every morning, and then again fifteen more in the PM, when you're making safe for the night. This will give you thirty reps. per day - multiply that by the number of days in a year, and you get well over 10K. Not only does this generate a great number of reps, it's also quick and easy to do the small number of reps each day in a focused, correct, conscientious manner, so as to avoid burning in a training scar.

And that's where I want to leave-off, on this post.

For me, since my indoor ranges restrict movement, I tend to not practice my draws at these ranges. For me, it's important to get off the X, so if I can't do it at the range, I try to not do the draw at all, so that I don't burn-in that static rep. Instead, I use my indoor range time to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, and attend training classes that allow me to move (as well as practice at home).

Overall, you've got to be able to get your gun out and get it on-target. Wear your normal street clothes and use your normal carry gear and use your carry gun (or a copy of it) when you practice - strive towards your reality. One of my favorite local training classes is hosted by Commence FireARMS Training Academy, and takes place nearly year-round - a very affordable two-hour "mini-seminar" that allows the concealed-carrier to run his or her everyday gear and clothing, and reinforces the basics of marksmanship, manipulations, and movement.

I am lucky to have my own personal range on my property and I go practice one to two days a week but sometime every other week one to two days every two weeks, whenever I can get some shooting in. I use my normal carry holster but not always concealed. I shoot a lot of 4-5's and also 2 shots in 2.5 seconds from the draw at 25 yards at an eight inch target. That's a real test. I also practice drawing several times a week with a snap cap in my carry gun in front of the TV. My wife gets a kick out of that.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

At least twice a week. Around a dozen draws each time, hands in different starting locations for each one. All on the move. As far as Im concerned its as important as pulling the trigger. No point sending ammo down range if you cant get the gun into the fight to begin with.

practice a couple times a week

I am fortunate enough to have an outdoor range where I live an if you get out there early enough, there is nobody there so one can train any way they need to.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    4X (isosceles draw/one handed draw/weaver draw/draw from the hip) prior to carrying. I also do it dryfire at home either before or after a live fire session at the indoor range which do not allow firing from the holster.

A few times daily. I have been wearing my G30 and Remora holster constantly and practice my draw numerous times while walking around my house, when I go to the bathroom, during commercials, just whenever. I keep "bowling" on the draw, so I am trying to retrain my reflex to a punch when drawing. "Jonconsiglio" recommended these video's and also to train a few minutes everyday.

The Art Of The Dynamic Handgun Magpul - YouTube

Magpul Dynamics - Special Features - Drawing the Secondary - YouTube
    --Jason--

Every day. When I'm getting ready to head to the office, I do a safety check and unload both weapons (LCP & LC9), another safety check..then do about three draws from both holsters (inside front pocket, and iwb right side leather appendix. Dry fire each on each draw. Also practice the correct presentation on each . This is one skill that needs on-going practice and motor skill to do it right. Good thread!!
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    A few times daily. I have been wearing my G30 and Remora holster constantly and practice my draw numerous times while walking around my house, when I go to the bathroom, during commercials, just whenever. I keep "bowling" on the draw, so I am trying to retrain my reflex to a punch when drawing. "Jonconsiglio" recommended these video's and also to train a few minutes everyday.

The Art Of The Dynamic Handgun Magpul - YouTube

Magpul Dynamics - Special Features - Drawing the Secondary - YouTube
    There is nothing new to learn here. But thanks for the videos anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links