Defensive Carry - Internet vs Reality? Trusting Your Carry Gun - Page 4

Defensive Carry - Internet vs Reality? Trusting Your Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry - Internet vs Reality? Trusting Your Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically put at least 300 rounds through one the day I buy it, because I'm impatient and can't wait to shoot it and because ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry - Internet vs Reality? Trusting Your Carry Gun

CJM
    I typically put at least 300 rounds through one the day I buy it, because I'm impatient and can't wait to shoot it and because I can't go and shoot 50 rounds. I put a mix of off the shelf FMJ's and my favorite carry rounds through it, and if it functions flawlessly I begin to carry that gun.

With that said, if I had a malfunction, I would try to diagnose it and figure out if it was gun related, ammo related, or shooter related, not just say "Oh well I probably won't need my gun so it's good to go". My SIG that I carry has been 100% flawless since day numero uno.

"Internet v. Reality"

You nailed it in the title.

Excellent post. Thank you, Sir.

When I acquire a new pistol, I like to put at least a box of FMJ to see how it handles. Then I use a box of JHPs to ensure it cycles. For a Striker Fire pistol, such as my Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8 or Glocks, G23/27/30/36, they've always been extremely reliable. No failures of any kind. I wouldn't hesitate upon depending upon a Glock, S&W M&P or Springfield XDM. I am still looking for an HK 45 USP but I would trust that, too, out of the box.

Revolvers, are reliable for me, too. However, I do want to make sure that I can at least shoot it accurately and repeatedly. For those, it's more of the shooter than the gun that has to be broken in.

However, for a 1911, I find it necessary to break it in. Most of the 1911s that i have owned needed it or it was recommended by the manufacturer. I have a couple that have been fine with any premium and ball ammo (Ed Brown Special Forces, Mars Armament T.H.U.G.). I have had others that I have not been so lucky (Kimber Ultra and Pro Series Raptor II).

My Sig P938 was shot about 250 rounds before I carried it, because the trigger was stiff and gritty. It was fine once I got through 400-500 rounds.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Anytime I have a new gun out of the box I put 300 rounds through it before I carry it. Those 300 are not in one session and the gun is cleaned as needed during that time. I'm not trying to torture test it, Just wear all the parts in and smooth everything up and identify any problems it might have left the factory with and become familiar and comfortable with it. If there's a problem I'll get it corrected.

My preference started long before the internet when a new Colt 70 series 1911 had a faulty extractor that got by the QC department. Just how I prefer to do it and if internet wisdom says otherwise, more power to 'em I suppose.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I'd much rather know my gun can always get through 1-2 magazines of carry ammo reliably than 1000 rounds of range ammo anyway."

So, you're saying I don't need to carry those extra 15 mags on me?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links