Besides gun-fu, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Besides gun-fu, what do you do? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no formal training what so ever, just the usual rough and tumble over 46 years. However, last spring I went to a yard ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Besides gun-fu, what do you do?

I have no formal training what so ever, just the usual rough and tumble over 46 years. However, last spring I went to a yard sale and there on the table was a leather sap for .50 cents. I snatched it up and didn\'t even try to talk the lady down on the price. It fits nicely in my back pocket.

2. Remove Ads

Slapper

Don\'t know if I could deploy it properly, but there is a 12\" one sitting on my desk. Has old Cops initals carved in the leather of the grip:). Do not even know if they are legal for citizens in this state.

jdsummer...sure hope I never have to find out;).

VIP Member
    Saps aren\'t legal in TN, which is silly.

I have trained in Martial arts since I was 14 (34) now. I am a Shodan in Karate (Shorei-Goju Ryu, a Ni-dan in Kyudo, and a 5th Kyu in Aikido. Last year (3/2003) I had occasion to use my training against two drunk ******* Japanese guys who thought it would be a good idea to get in the skinny white boy\'s face. Bad career move on their part; I scuffed \'em both using both Karate kickes and punches and Aikido arm bars.

I have also dabbled in a bit of Filipino stick/knife fighting, and some Ground fighting. I got OC certified back when I was working security as a part-time job, and occasionally carried it as well as my gun. Here in Japan, Sarah Brady\'s gun control paradise/wet dream, only the cops and the criminals/yakuza have guns. But much to my pleasant surprise, I was able to buy a 21\" ASP baton. I keep it in my car. Not sure what the legalities are about it though. I *do* know it is illegal to carry a knife with more than a 4cm blade \"without good reason\", so that pretty much just leaves the ASP and hand to hand for dealing with the (thankfully few) bad guys here.

Last 25 years in Kenpo, 15 years in Escrima, (Derobio and some Serrada). Wrestling, Certified F.A.S.T. Defense instructor, and some Judo/ground with a PD Officer here.

I would agree with several of the posts above though, run first, If you can\'t, do it anyway, if you still can\'t, then any quick fight stopper is what I do. primary target like eyes, Knee, or throat. Anything for an opening to get away.

The last couple of years my school has started utilizing the F.A.S.T. Defense system I mentioned earlier under Bill Kipp. (Fear Adrenaline Stress Training scenarios). We utilize specialized \"bulletman\" suits and \"woofing\" drills and its been a real eye opener. I\'ve trained absolute novices, police officers, and veteran martial artists. and I can say that by the end of the class, they are all pretty much beating the living crap out of us pretty equally effectively. The beginning of the class though, is what is so amazing. Most of these people have not been in actual situations, and without that, many of them experience adrenaline lock and freeze. All the training goes right out the window. Much of the fancier martial arts stuff is the first to go south, (not knocking Martial arts BTW, I do own my own school) but there is pretty, then there is effective. Pretty isn\'t always effective, but effective is ALWAYS pretty:) (at least to me:)) With weapons, we do the Tueller drill and focus heavily on de escalation exercises, awareness and footwork.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links