Besides gun-fu, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Besides gun-fu, what do you do? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Besides carrying a gun for self-defense, does anybody take martial arts, RBSD classes, or carry any other kind of weapon (pepper spray, impact weapons, etc.)?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Besides carrying a gun for self-defense, does anybody take martial arts, RBSD classes, or carry any other kind of weapon (pepper spray, impact weapons, etc.)?

What else carried?

With whatever firearms I carry I also carry OC10 spray and a combat folder of some sort. The reason I carry the spray is because I don\'t want to shoot anybody thats not attempting to kill me. The reason I carry the knife is that you never know when you might need a can opener.

Learned a little \'Bar-room do'in a previous life. Now, I train a few days a week w my cousin who is a devout disciple of Mr. Parker\'s Kenpo. I was a fairly accomplished wrestler in highschool and college, and have faired ok in differences of opinion that went south. Played college ball (small college) and have tried to keep myself in shape here in my mid 30\'s. Suppose one of my defences is to not appear as a soft target. I carry a Surefire light as well as a pair of knives. Spyderco Delica and ECK.
    I communicate terribly. This is not supposed to make me sound like meme :Oor a cage fighter. Just an old washed up washed out highschool athelete trying to keep up with the younger breed. That\'s right, I am ......
    Al Bundy.

Dan

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Betty
    Besides carrying a gun for self-defense, does anybody take martial arts, RBSD classes, or carry any other kind of weapon (pepper spray, impact weapons, etc.)?

Run-fu, Pepper-fu, Baton-fu, Gun-fu, in that order. I probably will, now that I have one, take an ASP baton class or two.

VIP Member
    Run-fu.

I\'ve picked up some hand-to-hand skills from various sources - nothing fancy, just stuff I can do that includes breaking free of arm/wrist grabs, good ol'eye gouges, headbutts, chin jabs, etc, etc. I\'ll do whatever I have to do. Men have sensitive crotches, which helps, too. :D

I do have a heavy bag that I attack with my baton or gloves.

Spent a good amount of time with Lee Wedlake & Huk Planas both of whom were educated in the Ed Parker Sr Kenpo system.

Also spent some time studying Krav Maga and Aikido.

Competed in Judo in College.

Been a bouncer in several bars across the US that allowed me to practice some skills. Thank God I always left the bars under my own steam..

~A

I\'ve been trained by folks from various disciplines during my time in the Marines and as a reserve cop.

No Marquis de Queensbury devotee here.

Eyes, throat, crotch (works equally well on women), sternum, knees, shins, toes/instep...all primary targets using forehead/hand/forearm/elbow/knees/feet and fingernails.

\"Field expedient\" weapons are virtually everywhere...ballpoint pen, car key, flashlight, roll of dimes (my personal favorite...gives an average person a punch like Mike Tyson). A dry chemical fire extinguisher can also be employed as a defensive weapon...btw, I happen to know for sure that the powder stuff is not toxic. The recipient will need to get his eyes flushed out, however.

If somebody happens to get ahold of you, I\'ve been known to bite the ever-living-crap out of someone to break the hold.

Whatever it takes.

When I\'m doing a walk-around on my 18 wheeler first thing every morning I always have a 5 D cell Maglite in my left hand and my all purpose claw hammer in my right. Near to hand from the driver\'s seat is a 4 oz flip top squeeze bottle of household ammonia...to be applied to the upper chest area, not directly in the face. Of course, I\'d prefer a firearm but it\'s more trouble than it\'s worth with DOT cops.. and I go to Chicago every week.

i\'m an expert at AJBH. (alaskan ju boo hoo).

basically it entails falling to the ground and crying like a baby. but its only a diversionary tactic. for once i\'m on the ground i tuck my legs up so i\'m like a giant bowling ball and i can either bowl over the bad guys, or just roll away to safety.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by spacemanspiff

basically it entails falling to the ground and crying like a baby. but its only a diversionary tactic. for once i\'m on the ground i tuck my legs up so i\'m like a giant bowling ball and i can either bowl over the bad guys, or just roll away to safety.
    ROFLMAO

Hand to hand in the academy - I think the style is called joke-fu. I don\'t carry less than lethal off duty. I should, but don\'t right now.
    Having seen inmates shake off both Taser and LE strength OC, I have more confidence in my sidearm.....
    Oddly enough, an instructor in one of my CCW classes had stats about those who turn and run from a drawn gun - survival rate was very high! Go figure....not my idea of a viable option, though...

Spaceman, I can\'t thank you enough for the visual. I about spit spiked Hot cocoa onto my monitor.

~A

Originally posted by spacemanspiff

smart-ass-fu, uh-oh-fu, cry-fu, run-fu, gun-fu, knife-fu in that order.

NO

My Judo training is about 50 years ago, and was basic only (SAC combat crewmember), long forgotten.

Some more recent OC and handgun retention Instructor courses.

At my age, avoidance is #1.

KC,
    your demeanor just strikes me as one of those \'not so soft targets'in spite of your modesty.

Dan

Nine years of Aikido and a black-belt in Tae Kwon Do. The Aikido has served me well a few times, the Tae Kwon Do came from a mini-mall school, and I\'ve never even considered using it in real life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links