Some thoughts from Col Grossman - Page 2

Some thoughts from Col Grossman

This is a discussion on Some thoughts from Col Grossman within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I paid 99$ for his Bullet Proof Mind DVD set, I've watched it numerous times. I wish I would of been introduced to him while ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Some thoughts from Col Grossman

I paid 99$ for his Bullet Proof Mind DVD set, I've watched it numerous times. I wish I would of been introduced to him while still in the service, I learned a lot of what he teaches the hard way. Saw so many young men who where not prepared mentally for combat. Anyone who endured this will know what I'm talking about, and the long term effects on memory/nightmares that never completely go away. The truest words I've ever known in combat.."He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    I don't post much but think it will be less from now on. May continue to read just so I can have a good laugh.

Bill I am coming to the conclusion you may be right. It seems that common sense is slowly fading.

P95 I do pray that you and others never have to use their firearm in self defense but if you do, as stated, it will be luck not skill that gets you through the day.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    P95 I do pray that you and others never have to use their firearm in self defense but if you do, as stated, it will be luck not skill that gets you through the day.
    Both luck and preparedness contribute to the probabilities of surviving it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Yep they sure do but not on a 90-10 split.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yep they sure do but not on a 90-10 split.
    Nobody can say with any surety. No matter how it's phrased, the old adage still exists for good reason: luck favors the prepared.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Just thought I would lighten things up a little bit.

4198124248_f6dde2c1ea.jpeg
    TSiWRX and wmhawth like this.
    Walk softly ...

Anyone who believes in luck vs. prepared/training in a hostile situation, combat, self defense.. Won't survive.

Not starting a fight, but negative will get you killed fast.. This isn't the wild west, there is no luck of the draw.. Training, prepared, speed, accuracy, and a mind set of a killer, you have to be completely prepared to do things, bad things, to bad people.. If your a target, they've already made up their mind to hurt, or kill you.. If your not ready to counter there actions, luck will not save you.

HI here are some bad guys. the ones that you might have to face someday. both groups are the bad guys, just gang rivals.

Video: Ejecutan a integrantes de Los Zetas en Tamaulipas en El Blog del Narco

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to Live, not live to exist"

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Here is another sheepdog tip of Lt. Col. Dave Grossman that some may like.

A warrior is not proven only in combat, but also in life. He lives by a code, not because codes are "honorable" or a fad, but because that is how a warrior thinks and so it is how he lives. Combat is an extension of that code, not the source. The rigidity of military discipline reflects his mindset and the two feed off each other, the man strengthened by the military and the military strengthened by the man. His code in peacetime is the same as that in the military: do your duty, protect the weak, protect the community, face the bully, stand tall, stay aware, think ahead, be ready, be loyal, avoid aggression if possible and, if not, win and win fully. Respect and honor are earned by actions, not granted by birth. There are a thousand military codes spread throughout history, but I believe they all say the same thing at heart: Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.
    The light that came on for me with reading this quote was that not all men/women are or want to be warriors in daily life they just want to get by, to the warrior those just wanting to get by are weak.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. However, train...train...train so that you have the skill and ability to "shoot to stop the threat"...JMO
    tacman605, Harryball and TSiWRX like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I have found in life that many who claim to be or want to be a "Sheepdog", lord how I hate that term, want to do so without putting any effort into it.

They own a gun and to them puts them at a level above the sheep which is good enough for them when in all reality "A sheep by any other name is still a sheep".

Bill that quote is great and very realistic. Contrary to popular belief, no one owes you anything you either do it yourself or you die, period.
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    This may be another reason for become the best warrior one can

Another tip

Bureau of Justice Statistics demonstrated that our returning veterans from World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War were less likely to be incarcerated than non-veterans of the same age and the same sex. While those who learned leadership, logistics and maintenance skills returned home and put their learning to good use in the civilian world, those soldiers who learned only to kill did not.Now, this does not mean that our veterans do not have problems. The data simply shows that in each of these wars we gave hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of men weeks, months and years of training on how to kill. Then we sent them to distant lands to fight for us, sometimes for years on end, and when they came home they were less likely to use their deadly skill than non-veterans of the same age and the same sex. The finest killers who ever walked the face of this earth were the boys who came home from World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam, and yet they were less likely to use those skills than a non-veteran. The reason is clear: Combined with learning to kill, they acquired a steely, warrior discipline—and that is the safeguard.Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

P95
    I seems to me the worrier mindset is a dangerous one.....indeed.

P95
    There is so much to be said about this video....location.....nationality....drug thugs.....America needs to strengthen it's borders so people like this can stay where they are at and simply kill each other off to extinction hopefully.

If you get holes punched in your body, blood will come out.

Not entirely true...

Wounds "in the box" sometimes only bleed internally, and the only indicators of blood loss are signs of shock.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links