Some thoughts from Col Grossman

This is a discussion on Some thoughts from Col Grossman within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found these on the "Sheepdog" facebook page and while I am not a fan of the term they do have a lot of Grossman's ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Some thoughts from Col Grossman

VIP Member

Some thoughts from Col Grossman

I found these on the "Sheepdog" facebook page and while I am not a fan of the term they do have a lot of Grossman's quotes.

If you get holes punched in your body, blood will come out. On rare occasions, the contents of your intestines may come out, too, but do not worry about that because someone will clean it up, but most of the time blood is going to come out.

How much? Well, your body holds approximately one and a half gallons of blood, and you can lose 30 percent, approximately a half gallon, without losing your hydraulics. To see what that much blood looks like, take a half gallon of strawberry milk and pour it on the ground. Yes, it is a large puddle, but tell yourself that that is the volume of blood you can lose and still fight.

Erase all doubt that you can keep going and keep fighting.

Know that if you stop before you lose that much blood, it is your will that failed, not your body. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat

Don't worry about the guy with the red face, he's just mad. Worry about the guy whose face is white with vasoconstriction. He's the one preparing to fight. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar

Just a couple of things to think about.
    TSiWRX and Ionracas like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

His "Bullet Proof Mind seminars contain a lot of good stuff. Well worth the effort to attend one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

P95
    Never heard of this guy before.

VIP Member
    Google is your friend.

He is well worth the time spent reading his material. I just looked and he has several things on Itunes, just enter his name.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    His "Bullet Proof Mind seminars contain a lot of good stuff. Well worth the effort to attend one.
    Its a real eye opener, to say the least...

P95
    I see application for military purposes....but not everyday carry. I pray I never get to use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I see application for military purposes....but not everyday carry. I pray I never get to use mine.
    To quote/paraphrase Pasteur "Chance favors the prepared mind".
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    P95 you will not dictate the circumstance of a lethal force encounter the bad guy will, you will simply have to react to it.

No one wants to take another's life but it may come a time when you have no choice. Your best command voice, the sight of your firearm, your absolute, positively, last final warning before you shoot have all been ignored by a man with a smile intent on cutting your head off just because he can.

Will you ever be faced with this man? Hope not but he is out there so you prepare for the worst case scenario and everything else is gravy.
    40Bob and Chaplain Scott like this.

P95
    That same "i'm invincible mindset" just because you are packing will get you killed also. I pray I never think I am "Rambo"

That same "i'm invincible mindset" just because you are packing will get you killed also. I pray I never think I am "Rambo"
    Its not invincible mindset, its a never give up mindset. Survival is key. You may be hit in a SD event, never give up. Rambo has nothing to do with it. If rambo did have something to do with it, we wouldnt need guns, just a big knife.....
    Spirit51, Hoganbeg and 40Bob like this.

VIP Member
    Just because you have the will to survive and fight with all you have to survive does not make you Rambo just like carrying a firearm does not transform you into someone who is invincible and nowhere in his presentations does he say or imply that. I fight to win, to survive, until I have expended every round and have to beat him to death with an empty gun. No one will say I gave up for lack of trying.

To each his own though I wish you well
    BigStick likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I'm coming to the point of saying, take care of me and mine, and to hell with others. I wonder why some buy and carry a firearm, they will never use it. If they did, them going home safe and sound will be because of luck and nothing else.

I don't post much but think it will be less from now on. May continue to read just so I can have a good laugh.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

That same "i'm invincible mindset" just because you are packing will get you killed also.
    Sure. But Grossman's point is that having an indomitable mindset when the moment strikes can be invaluable to surviving it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    I'm coming to the point of saying, take care of me and mine, and to hell with others. I wonder why some buy and carry a firearm, they will never use it. If they did, them going home safe and sound will be because of luck and nothing else.

I don't post much but think it will be less from now on. May continue to read just so I can have a good laugh.
    I agree...there is a lot to laugh about......laughing is very healthy for you psychologically and physically. May you live a long prosperous live. But just remember...John Wayne was created by Hollywood....and yes Bill.....pray I never use it...I would appreciate it very much.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I pray that I never have to use mine, too. As Thunder71 said so well: "I hope it's the biggest waste of time and money I've ever invested, and that it was all for nothing."

I really hope that is true. I hope I never have to need to defend myself or my loved ones - I hope I never come in the path of evil.

But I train as if I will, because like tacman mentioned above, I probably won't get to dictate the terms of the fight.

Part of that training includes mindset.

People stop fighting for one of two reasons: lack of the will to continue fighting or physiologic inability to continue fighting.

Mine will not be lack of will. I will fight so hard that I will haunt you from the grave if I die.

There are many documented/verified tales of both good guys as well as bad guys suffering mortal wounds, but yet continued the fight - to the demise of their opponents.

-----

Edited to add:

As with some in the community, I am not one who hangs on Grossman's every word. The Google search that tacman encouraged you to perform, P95, will show you both sides: both his proponents and his detractors, and both have valid points.

Nevertheless, I do believe that he does provide a valid line of thinking in many things self-defense related, and I furthermore believe that the above-cited pearl is among the best of those.

This concept of "not ever giving up, not ever giving in" is not a new one. It's not a "Rambo" philosophy. It is about prevailing in the fight of your life, and its roots trace back as far in learned martial history as you'd care to take it.
    Spirit51 and Hoganbeg like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links