Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice?

This is a discussion on Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chad Rogers Most people don't really believe that everytime they leave their house a scene from Grand Theft Auto will unfold in ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Most people don't really believe that everytime they leave their house a scene from Grand Theft Auto will unfold in front of them every step of their journey.
    No, but we train for it. You just never know when someone is going to bring the fight to you.
    TSiWRX, tacman605 and BillK like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Exactly.

Is it likely to happen? Probably not.

Can it happen? That's always a possibility.

If we're playing the odds, why would we even bother carrying? Why bother with the expense and time of getting licensed, and having to know the laws of the lands that we travel to or through? Why spend money on ammo, which is getting more expensive all the time?

And that's just it - we're not playing the odds. We just want to be better prepared for that worst-case what-if.
    tacman605 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I have tried to vision what could/would be the worst case situation I might see in my future. I have then trained and practice to meet that need to the best of my ability. (And NO I don't train and practice with high hopes of being able to shoot and kill someone. Like most all normal people I hope to never have to use what I have learned.) Anything less than worst case should be easily handled and if by some reason something worst does come along I'll be a lot closer to handling it than what I think most here on this forum could.

I believe like the OP there are lots of those who carry and even those here on DC believe if they can hit the bullseye in slow fire they can handle any and all situations they face. But yet when they post in threads on what would you do if confronted by a BG, they say give him what he wants, there's no way you could go up against that.

Myself I find training and practice fun and a great way to spend time. For those who say they don't have time, you find time for what you think is important.

To each his/her own and we will all live or die by that choice.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice?
    Truth be known....not enough this year. Previous years....plenty. Reality? Work schedule and homestead....then add the price of gasoline. Range officer myself. I might very well be disappointed at my own lack of activity this year. Sad to say other priorities have come into play this go round. I wish it were different, and I'm making every attempt at a better year next year or at least half of what's left of this year without a shooting partner. Thanks for the reality check by the way.

P95
    I don't practice nearly enough. I live out in the country where I could shoot in any direction with no worries and still don't take the time to practice.....does that mean I am LAZY?

I would like to train more often then I do; I am not disabled but my wallet is…

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I don't practice nearly enough. I live out in the country where I could shoot in any direction with no worries and still don't take the time to practice.....does that mean I am LAZY?
    That is up to you how you feel. LOL! I wish we were neighbors.

The range I go to does not allow drawing from a holster or rapid fire (1 shot every second), so I am limited to aligning the sights a firing. No double taps, but sometime if it is crowded, I will double tap. I go to the range no less the 1 a month, but I do practice drawing at least 1 a week in the back yard.

I am not selling anything but I do train with a laserlyte and it does work well in the house and yard at low light

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Based upon my frequent observations when I go to the range I find it ludicrous to hear guys who are so fat that they look pregnant talk about how they are all about preparing for the worst case scenario. I just am dying to scream out to them "Dude, you can't even run 100 meters! You're only prepared for a small sliver of what might go wrong out there on the streets. You only possess a portion of the attributes and skills you might need to survive."
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I try at least once per month, but reality = bi-monthly...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

At my home range, stationary draw and shoot 4,5's at a 5 inch circle on a paper plate and (movement) backing up shooting at another paper plate. Bad ankle so I can't get too wild, I also draw and shoot 2 shots at another paper plate from 25 yards. Paper plates make for cheap targets. I do this at least twice a month.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I shoot at least once a week. My local range has a no holster no rapid fire policy etc. That being said, they also have a tactical range which they let me use when not occupied by others. There I practice whatever I want. Draw, movement etc.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

It bothers me that so many people will accept the overwhelming responsibility of carrying a loaded weapon, then neglect to train themselves for the worst-case scenario. I'm hoping this situation is limited to our local range, and is not the norm in your area.
    Admittedly most of my shooting practice is just target shooting at the range. I shoot a lot and at different distances but can't lay claim to much you could describe as defensive skill practice. Guilty as charged I guess.

In a perfect world, I'd have my own dynamic training range and unlimited ammunition, and a smithy to replace all the firing pin springs I wore out. I'd shoot 300 rounds a day with my local tactics instructor (Hey, Mas lives just down the road anyhow). I'd wake up early, spend a couple hours praying and reading my bible, head off on a 4hr hunting trip before running off to 2hrs on the bike followed by a 2-hr Krav Maga session before work, get home to spend 4 hours a day at activities with my kids, go fly fishing for the last couple hours before sunset, head off on a date with my wife, and still get home for a full 8 hours of sleep.

In the real world, I prioritize things. I still get to shoot once or twice a week - sometimes it's just putting bullets through paper, sometimes it's more tacticool. I get some realistic training from time to time as I can afford the time and $. But 300 rounds a day? 50-100 rounds a week is more like it. Add in some dry fire and holster work, and that's about what I can fit.

I could be more proficient and prepared, but I'm happy with my current vector.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links