Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice? - Page 4

Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice?

This is a discussion on Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dry fire daily for 30 minutes between handgun and AR. Live fire at least 3 times a week. Live fire consists of numerous drills and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Reality check: How often do you REALLY practice?

Dry fire daily for 30 minutes between handgun and AR. Live fire at least 3 times a week. Live fire consists of numerous drills and movement. I practice tactics of some type at least once a week, whether that's working a shoot house (live or dry) or vehicle tactics, etc. Once every couple months we practice with a client, live or dry.

90% can be accomplished by dry fire, in my opinion. So, there's little excuse for not training somewhat regularly. Also, I think "training" is a lot more than standing there punching holes in paper. At the very least, we should all be up to speed on numerous move and draw drills. I can tell you from personal experience, this stuff is dynamic and nobody is staying still. We most likely will have to move out of the way of something, so it's a good idea to learn to draw on the move. For me, this is second nature involving no thought, just action. Had I not trained on this very thing regularly, I may not be here typing this right now.

I have a wife and 2 kids, plus a job. I have no problem fitting all of this into my schedule. Now, I do use the excuse that it's for work, but half of it is still on my time. I know that I want to be better than the guy I may go up against. I don't get to pick and choose, that comes down to luck of the draw. So, I better expect that the other guy will have as much training, if not more, than I do, and I need to do everything I can to be better than him.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

What's more important than how much you practice is do you practice the right techniques. For instance, if your crappy grip causes you to shot low and left, the more you practice the more you ingrain the pattern of shooting low and left. If your fundamentals are sound, then practice can be expected to improve you. If you practice, practice, practice and still suck, additional practice isn't going to do you any good. You need to ID the source of the problem first.

P.S. I haven't been shooting a pistol long but I know this from golf. Same thing applies!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I live-fire practice either 1-2 times a month or once every other month. But usually before or after live fire practice, I do dry fire using snapcaps when practicing techniques not allowed on the range, such as cqc drawing/shooting. Clearing my home when I arrive or when after waking up is also good practice.

Draw and fire is not allowed at my range. I wish it were as I'd be doing live fire drills. As it stands it's snap caps at home.

Quote Originally Posted by foamx View Post
    Draw and fire is not allowed at my range. I wish it were as I'd be doing live fire drills. As it stands it's snap caps at home.
    It was like that for a while until the outdoor range set up a designated handgun area full of steel targets that authorizes shooting from the draw.

How often do I really practice? Not as often as I'd like to but as often as I am able to.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Absolutely monthly practice

Draw and fire, with single and multi BG targets competition for time and accuracy with friends

Draw and fire, two to the chest, to the first BG then one to each of the others

Draw and fire two to the chest then one to the head

It varies.. Sometimes as we walk sometimes stationary

Now that I also have long guns (AR-15/ Mossberg 590), I don't practice live fire with my handguns like I used to every month. Now I have to rotate like this as a bi-monthly thing. One month, it's the S&W 457 .45 ACP and then the Mossberg 590. The following month, it's the H&K USP .40 and then the RRA LAR-15 rifle in 5.56mm. After that, the cycle repeats itself.

Aside from frequent draw/presentation training at home with snap caps, my "training" involves no more than monthly casual target shooting at the range. I'm probably woefully under prepared when it comes to combat/defensive training but that sort of training isn't a hobby/interest of mine and therefore haven't pursued it as often as I probably should.

That said, I think beneficial training can come in many different forms. The internet is a great place to read up on SD scenarios and I take time to analyze these daily. Also, a main interest of mine is physical fitness and bodybuilding which could potentially be a benefit in an SD situation so I guess you could consider that training as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    Aside from frequent draw/presentation training at home with snap caps, my "training" involves no more than monthly casual target shooting at the range. I'm probably woefully under prepared when it comes to combat/defensive training but that sort of training isn't a hobby/interest of mine and therefore haven't pursued it as often as I probably should.

That said, I think beneficial training can come in many different forms. The internet is a great place to read up on SD scenarios and I take time to analyze these daily. Also, a main interest of mine is physical fitness and bodybuilding which could potentially be a benefit in an SD situation so I guess you could consider that training as well.
    The question was realistic training. Not a trip to the club for some curls and a fat free latte. You are right about one thing, you prob should seek out some training.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The question was realistic training. Not a trip to the club for some curls and a fat free latte. You are right about one thing, you prob should seek out some training.
    IMO, physical fitness, strength, and quickness can potentially play an important role in an SD scenario....not sure how one could argue that. There are numerous factors that can play a role in properly being able to defend yourself.

"No more. If I come across a bit edgy, I am sorry, but I will refrain my post if I notice myself being to much of an ass."

No worries, hope all is well with your quitting efforts!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OK, that is funny Harry
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

IMO, physical fitness, strength, and quickness can potentially play an important role in an SD scenario....not sure how one could argue that. There are numerous factors that can play a role in properly being able to defend yourself.

"No more. If I come across a bit edgy, I am sorry, but I will refrain my post if I notice myself being to much of an ass."

You noticed I didnt stop myself.....LMAO....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

It does play a role, after you get shot, you stand a better chance to survive the trauma. Realistic training and proper practice, along with the proper mindset help to keep you from being a victim in the first place.

It's range time for me this weekend.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links