What's your level of training?

This is a discussion on What's your level of training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many people here have professional training under the belt? I\'ve got 2 day Tac Pistol with TRI Going back in april to take 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's your level of training?

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar

What's your level of training?

How many people here have professional training under the belt?

I\'ve got 2 day Tac Pistol with TRI

Going back in april to take 2 day tac rifle, 2 day advanced tac pistol and 1 day tac shotgun. Following in september with a 2 day TRI alumni course. Hope to take Tactics 101 (Vehicle and Room clearing) at some point. Would also like to take a FOF class with suarez in the future (if he ever offers one near philly).

Any other training junkies? After that 2 day tac pistol course i was hooked.
    Last edited by Administrator; January 21st, 2005 at 10:55 PM.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Other than my CCW class the only training I have had has been in the military and the police academy. I do alright but could definitely benefit by taking some classes. I am planning on taking the two day tactical pistol course locally and would like to take a trip to Gunsite before the year is over.

2 classes (beg and int) under Norman Belson of Belson Associates, Tampa.
    Defensive Handgun under Dan Dawson at Shooting Sports in Tampa.
    Tactical Handgun 101 twice under Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics at Southern Exposure.
    I try to make each trip to the range a learning experience.

Dan

USMC
    NRA certified Instructor pistol and rifle
    150- Gunsite class

Basic courses starting at 10 years old, (thanks, Mom and Pop!), moving to security guard training at 18, military at 19, (Navy, not much small arms, but was a Gunners Mate Guns, so got to play in the armory!), then armored training for 8.5 years, CCW, and last the academy. Need more, of course! I would love to go to Gunsite, but don\'t know if Col. Cooper could stand someone showing up with a DA CZ instead of a 1911.....

Hey Armoredman, I can\'t exactly recall the quote, but I read one by Col Cooper not long ago that highly praised the CZ...something like \'possibly the finest service pistol in use today\'. I wouldn\'t hesitate to take one to gunsite if the opportunity arose.

I\'ve had several training iterations throughout my life starting with shooting air rifles @ 15 feet when I was 10. Or was it squirrels @ 6 - 7?? My Dad was a phenomenal marksman.

If you want to really hone your skills and keep them sharp, shoot IPSC regularly. You will never run out of challenges in IPSC.

I was well-trained by my Dad. I had the CCW class. I also paid for a private class with the CCW instructor.

He thought I was very competent. I decided not to take any more classes there but I am sure I can benefit from some general defensive classes.

With hunters and gunsmiths in the family I \"absorbed\" a lot. Structured classes did help though.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    A couple of classes from Thunder Ranch, a number with John Farnam at DTI, and a host of places like Glock, S&W Academy, SigArms, Gunsite, Rog-Con, Shoot-N-Iron, and a bunch of LE and military classes.

I try to take a class or two each year. My favs are:

The Rogers Shooting School -- Ellijay Ga. The Best pure shooting school that exists.

Hackathorn Advanced Pistol -- Great class Ken is the best instructor around I try to take this class every year.

LFI-1 Mas\'s class everyone should take this one.

Martial Gun -- Super Dave Harrington\'s program his pistol program is great. He is an superb shooter. His Black Rifle carbine course is the best long gun class around.

Suarez -- Gabe does a good job, if he is in your neighborhood don\'t miss it.

Mike

Many

Over the last 22 years been involved in a lot of firearms and lethel threat management training. Have several cerifications including NRA Law Enforcement Instructor, and Training Counselor, Glock Transition Instructor, OC and Handgun Retention Instructor, AHA CPR and First Aid Instructor, former EMT. Total would be in the 40 week area if it were all added up.

A couple hunded hours + with Chuck Taylor locally and at Defense Associates in CT.
    Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun

www.defenseassociates.com

Bumper: Get thee to Prescott! Gabe Suarez is a neighbor of yours! He\'s a great instructor with VERY street savy training.

:kay:

Chuck

21+ years in the Army, CCW training, Corrections Officer training (years ago) and I now work with a former SEAL who keeps me on my toes. straight target and now going to do some combat move and shoot.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Pyrolyzer
    Bumper: Get thee to Prescott! Gabe Suarez is a neighbor of yours! He\'s a great instructor with VERY street savy training.
    :kay:
    Chuck
    I agree and will probably try to get it done in late Spring or early summer :)

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Well, all of mine is via the \"G\"...no private schools. Start off with a police academy, many, many years ago. Then a federal academy. As far as more specialized training goes:
    -US Secret Service Firearms Instructor Training Class
    -Federal Law Training Enforcement Center Multiple Weapons Instructor School
    -Agency advanced tactical shooter school
    -A few specialized schools at various federal facilities
    -Sig Sauer LE Armorer\'s Certification School
    -Currently a Firearms Instructor for my agency.

And they actually PAY me to do it!!!:D
    Gonzo
    WannabeaCPA likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links