Bifocal issues?

This is a discussion on Bifocal issues? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, those of you under 40, who don't need glasses, keep the 'old people' jokes to a minimum....... I consider myself to be a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bifocal issues?

VIP Member

Bifocal issues?

First off, those of you under 40, who don't need glasses, keep the 'old people' jokes to a minimum.......

I consider myself to be a pretty good shot. I'm no Todd Jarrett, but I hit what I shoot at.

Now that I have bifocals, I'm having trouble focusing on my front sight while moving. When I'm standing still shooting, I can still focus fairly quickly. However, when I'm shooting & moving, that's when the blur starts.

I can still hit my target, but some of the shoots are a little sloppy & I can tell it's my lack of clarity on my front sight.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Do any of you guys have any tips?

Oh, laser surgery for me is not an option. Cornea's are to thin....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I went to the variables or progressive type lenses and didn't much problem adjusting. I've heard others complain about the progressives to so your mileage may vary!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    I have progressives but these do not really cut it - I'd have to raise my head too much. I concentrate these days more on aquiring some instinctive skills and if light is below bright then my laser dot shows, without having to really look for it.

So - I always try to aquire a sight picture (of sorts) but then rely either on muscle memory and/or spotting the dot. I have a night shoot tomorrow evening and will use that for practice with the laser - one of the few times I can do so.

I use a separate pair of glasses for the computer and they are great for sighting - trouble is the focal length is too short to enable distance viewing as well!

Improvize and adapt!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah, I went from no glasses to TRIfocals when I turned 46! I find front sight focus is just a no go for me any more. So, while not as good I focus on the target more and bring the three dots up to it. Not as good but I'm still hitting what I aim at just not as tight as my old groups used to be.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Same As ElCruiser...

these 60 year old eyes..."ain't what they used be"...
    Trying to shoot with reading glasses is useless...and trying bi's is worse.
    Even if the groups aren't tight...COM is not a problem! Additionally, if something were to happen...with a BG...what are the chances I'll have on my reading glasses (ever get robbed in a library?). So for me, I just shoot without glasses...I will survive!
    I have found that Trig night sights ARE good for dim light, but the dots are also better than what the Glock-36 came with...
    OMO

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I started wearing glasses when I was 12 yrs. old and progressed to bifocals in 1990 so I have over 16 yrs experience with them. Being nearsighted from the beginning I knew I would not be able to handle lined bifocals and when with the progressives from the start. I have grown quite used to the top-far, middle-medium, and bottom-close setup. On mine the middle section is almost perfectly placed for me to see the front sight clearly when using a handgun. I start by lookin at the target through the top and then just shifting my eyes down to the front sight. Then line up the rear to get the proper picture.

I am no great shot and my shooting is not as consistent as I would like, but it never has been. Part of that may be my right handed left eye dominant problem. What ever it is my shooting is no worse than it was when I was in advanced ROTC or the Army. I may not hit exactly where I am want, but I am around it all the time.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    I'm sort of lucky in that my front sight is in extra sharp focus without my glasses on...so I can just shoot with non-script shooting glasses.

My intended target is slightly more blurry than most folks would see it but, I shoot for COB - Center Of Blur....

Progressive type lenses remind me of swimming in a fishbowl...I can't stand them & I'd never get used to them.

You can always go for the Laser Correction...NOT on your eyes - On your handgun.
    That sure makes hitting everything every time damn easy.
    Go w/ a Crimson Trace or a LaserMax then you don't even have to look at OR focus on your firearm.
    You only have to focus on the target & the red dot.
    That is one realistic option for folks with vision problems and older eyes.
    Just one suggestion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Goawayfarm,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I do have an appointment with the eye doctor next week, and maybe he can help. I have however, discoved a new way to shoot. I take my glasses off and I shoot center of mass, on the target. I see both front and rear sight clearly and the target is a bit fuzzy. If you can do this, all shots from 7 - 25 yard will fall within a 8x11 piece of paper. Of course if your jerkin the dang thing off, or breathing it won't. If your shooting further than 25 yards you are probably deer hunting and should get a scope.

I learned this from another guy who could see well either, but he sure could tear up an 8x11 piece of paper. I guarantee anything you shoot at with that aiming technique is going down. Now you most likely won't have time to take off your glasses so practice a lot and you will be able to compensate for this. It has sure helped me.

tim

VIP Member
    I wear bifocals but started out with trifocals. I think Chris sums it up nicely. On the move I can not group my shots close enough to win and contest but I group the shots close enough to make a BG sorry.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    Might be time to try a more threat focased system like was hotly debated on here for a while. Since I hear he teaches with a forty five with no front sight. So you wouldnt even need a sight picture might just be a matter of learning a new way to sight on your target.Or try perifal sighting since from what I can find out about it is more natural way to alighn the hand with the eye any way.I have been trying it out at 25 feet on my own just to give it a wirl and im getting fairly good results from it. Thanks to who ever it was that offerd it up when talking about quick kill. Pick a spot on the wall at sixty degrees from front line of sight just in your perifial vission and point at it with out looking directly at it I
    find Im almost always spot on using this kinda perifal sighting just my .02
    P.S. trying to clean up my typing lol.just found the old tread and its brownie that was talking about what i said and advaced apoligees if i mis quoted any thing
    Last edited by ssssthesnake; September 16th, 2006 at 01:29 AM.

Good idea snake. I'm going to the range today, and will give it a try. Don't worry about your typing snake, we all understand you. If you clean it up, we might think it is an imposter!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Thanks for the input guys.........

I think though I may be doomed to get old.

The Lasergrips won't work for me unless they make a left-handed version. Plus I'm not to keen on lasers, I'd have to put them on all my guns (lot of money) & I'm not sure I wouldn't become over reliant on them & if it were to fail & I had lost my sight picture.......that would scare me a little.

I have the progressive lens & they just don't quite do it for me either. The peripheral vision part won't work either since my myopia (poor distance vision) is worse than my prespyopia (poor reading distance). I can't see a damn thing without glasses......

To complicate it. I'm not only left-handed, but I'm also right-eye dominate.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Mercy sakes goawayfarm. You were at the end of every line when the Good Lord was passing out parts.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

You might talk with your eye doctor about the problem your having. Possibly contact lenses would work better for you.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

I don't wear bifocals just yet...I tried the progressives and they were just plain a pain!

When I practice or shoot IDPA at close range I wear my regular glasses...slightly near-sighted. When the distance increases, such as certain stages in the Classifier, I take off my glasses and wear safety glasses with no correction. Yes, the target is blurry, but I hit more with sharp sight focus at that distance (>20 yrds.). Just be sure to wear some kind of eye protection...you'll need your eyes for more than just shooting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links