Gunsite vs Suarez International. Which is better

This is a discussion on Gunsite vs Suarez International. Which is better within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Newbie here. I want to learn as much as possible. And become as skilled as possible. Any opinions on which would be better for an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gunsite vs Suarez International. Which is better

Gunsite vs Suarez International. Which is better

Newbie here. I want to learn as much as possible. And become as skilled as possible. Any opinions on which would be better for an old guy with very little training.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

S.I. comes to you (or at least close)

You learn a lot over a weekend course.

Have taken several classes from SI or one of their affiliates, including 2 with Gabe himself.

I've never taken classes at Gunsite, but other than not getting to meet Col. Cooper, I don't think I've missed anything.

I'd add Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch to your short list. He is a legend. I plan on taking a class from them but the wait list is long.

My vote goes to Suarez. Honest, before you make a decision order the Suarez Force On Force DVD.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I went with SI they have a class for the very new guy who knows little about a gun to the advanced gun fighter. There classes not only cover the hows and whys of the gun but also the fight its self. Winning a gunfight is far more than just shooting a gun. For me SI is the best for doing that.

The other schools are good if all you want is a fast draw and to shoot small groups on paper but if you are looking to fight with a gun then it has to be SI for me.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    I've never been to either one.
    That said, from what I've read, heard and otherwise saw on the internet, in the way of videos, Suarez would get my money first
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have no experience with either. But I have been researching these, and others, for my next training experience.

For my money, I believe Suarez would be a better fit for my mode of procedure.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have never trained with Gunsite and I have taken one class with Suarez. I chose based on videos I had seen of both schools. I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with a Suarez class.

VIP Member
    I have never trained at Gunsite but I really like Gabes classes. I am going to a Larry Vickers Defensive carbine/pistol Class this month and hope to learn even more. The more good training you get the better prepared you will be.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Well, of course I'm biased because I'm a Suarez International Instructor. However, I took 4 classes with SI before joining their instructor team. I've never been go Gunsite so I won't comment on their school, but I've heard positive things from those who've attended.

Suarez International likely has a class in your area, you don't have to travel too far. We all believe in shooting in front of our students and taking the time necessary to make sure each student in our courses understand and can perform the material. Our class sizes are not very large, so each student gets the benefit of quality time with the instructor. Also, our prices are very reasonable. If you're ever in the San Antonio area, come to one of my classes and I'll give you my best.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

I have taken one course with Suarez International. I plan on taking more once I assimilate what they taught. I have no experience with Gunsite.

Prior to taking any courses with the big names, I made sure I was quite proficient with my guns. SI or Gun Site are not places you really want to attend to learn the sight picture or trigger control IMHO.

Both schools are great. It really depends on at what level you're proficiency wise and need which school suits you netter. I'd go for the SI, because Gabe and his crew are pushing the limits all the time, but I've got decades of shooting under my belt.

Good luck to you.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Probably not a ton of people with Gunsite experience here due to the fact that SI travels and Gunsite doesn't.
    Hakkaa päälle!

After taking many SI classes, and getting to know several of the instructors, I can whole heartedly endorse the training. I have taken most intro to defensive pistol, close range gun fighting, advanced close range gunfighting, 0-5 feet, rifle fighting skills, AK rifle fighting, advanced AK rifle fighting, advanced AR rifle fighting, and AK armorer, and would recommend them all. Check out some of the clips on YouTube, as well as Gabe's blog.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    After taking many SI classes, and getting to know several of the instructors, I can whole heartedly endorse the training. I have taken most intro to defensive pistol, close range gun fighting, advanced close range gunfighting, 0-5 feet, rifle fighting skills, AK rifle fighting, advanced AK rifle fighting, advanced AR rifle fighting, and AK armorer, and would recommend them all. Check out some of the clips on YouTube, as well as Gabe's blog.
    To me Gabe is the best out there.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links