Emergency Medical for the range, pretty good video.

This is a discussion on Emergency Medical for the range, pretty good video. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.hdaa.com/video-of-the-we...ound-on-range/ How many have medical gear and training to go along with it? Something to think about....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Emergency Medical for the range, pretty good video.

VIP Member

Emergency Medical for the range, pretty good video.

https://www.hdaa.com/video-of-the-we...ound-on-range/

How many have medical gear and training to go along with it? Something to think about.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

We have medical gear, but lack on the training side. We are going to attend some classes here soon. It makes sense to be a little better prepared...We do have a plan to get the injured out. Putting some at the road, while calling 911. Making sure FIRST that the line is clear and know one else gets hurt, and at the beginning of each class we assign a role to each of our RSOs and Instructors....
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    This is something I think we all need to think more about. If we win the fight with the BG but get shot and then die because of lack of medical attention on scene we still lost.

Here is my next training class to take Suarez International Trauma Medicine for CCW
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Many E.M.T. classes are less than 450 bucks.

That's the entire course. 450 bucks seems pricey for just the one subject and a one day event will only give one a basic if they have no other medical experience.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I just finished watching the video. I highly recommend it . Good basics and good information. Watch it....at least once (but try to watch it more times). Take notes. It"s information and advice are excellent.

For those who believe in training...this is one area to add. Do some practice on dressings and splints. Having established this kind of training will make it more "second nature" without a lot of thinking should it occur.

EMS training has a large amount of this kind of training. I was taught by Doctor Norman McSwain who also taught Military doctors. He believed in Drill....Drill....and then Drill some more. It does make action easier in the beginning. (after all these years I could do it in my sleep.....as a matter of fact...I think I have). LOL
    tacman605 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    As to the classes I posted about they are a two day course taught by a Doctor who knows the hows and whys of treating gunshot wounds. So the info you get will be from those who do this type of thing for a living not a gun instructor who thinks he knows how to treat a gun wound. I am not in the medical field and even I could see fault with what was shown.

While EMT classes show medical treatment they will not get into the treatment of gunshots or the use of a tourniquet, at least to those just in the general public. For me it comes to the saying you get what you pay for, after you have truly researched what you are looking for.

The information being taught in this class not only comes from an ER Doctor but from those who treat those wounded on our battlefields of today.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    This is something I think we all need to think more about. If we win the fight with the BG but get shot and then die because of lack of medical attention on scene we still lost.

Here is my next training class to take Suarez International Trauma Medicine for CCW
    Don't forget Dr. John Meade's companion book "Beating The Reaper"

Also in the TMCO class, you are taught to perform the techniques while returning fire and defending yourself and the persons you may be treating. Something you definitely won't get at the typical EMT class.

Here is a critical look at the above-mentioned video from the above mentioned-doctor:

Bad Advice

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    How many have medical gear and training to go along with it? Something to think about.
    I Do! I Do!

But not as much as I'd like!

How many carry it with them, especially to the range?

I thought there would be more commentary on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    How many have medical gear and training to go along with it?

Yes

I received training while in the military and kept reading afterwards. First Responder certified in order to help chaperone my daughter's Girl Scout troop (wife and I both did it). The kit I carry is the Chinook Individual Operator Kit (Individual-Operator-Kit - TMK-IO) to which I added a splint, some tampons, and a couple packs of CELOX. I have extra SOF Tactical tourniquets, Israeli bandages, and wraps in the car. And last and most important, I also have (ordered through Chinook) the Military Edition of the PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support) guide AND read it.

When I'm alone, I have a SOF tourniquet, Israeli bandage, CELOX packets, and a couple of tampons in a small bag. When my wife and daughter join me, I carry the TMK-IO. Band-aids are always in my wallet for the wee boo-boos.

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I received training while in the military and kept reading afterwards. First Responder certified in order to help chaperone my daughter's Girl Scout troop (wife and I both did it). The kit I carry is the Chinook Individual Operator Kit (Individual-Operator-Kit - TMK-IO) to which I added a splint, some tampons, and a couple packs of CELOX. I have extra SOF Tactical tourniquets, Israeli bandages, and wraps in the car. And last and most important, I also have (ordered through Chinook) the Military Edition of the PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support) guide AND read it.

When I'm alone, I have a SOF tourniquet, Israeli bandage, CELOX packets, and a couple of tampons in a small bag. When my wife and daughter join me, I carry the TMK-IO. Band-aids are always in my wallet for the wee boo-boos.
    Tampons?? A couple of extra absorbent "pads" would be a better choice for trauma dressing. I worry about introducing a foreign object INTO a wound besides the fact that it just may not fit. I have had more than I can count experience with shootings.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I thought there would be more commentary on this thread
    Some do not take it serious, some play with there numbers and figure it wont happen to them. If they will not train with there weapon, why on gods green earth would they want a med kit....
    First Sgt likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Am I the only one that gets a link to Pincus cutting down a full size Glock to make it a compact?

Could someone provide a link to the emergency response video?

Thanks.

Oh, and @ Spirit51, I think lots of guys think pads are tampons. I know the difference but still use the wrong terminology every now and again...
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links