Part 2 of Citizens' Firearms Class - at the Range

This is a discussion on Part 2 of Citizens' Firearms Class - at the Range within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this morning was part 2 of our Citizens' Firearms Class taught by the instructors of the Wetumpka Police Department - range time! I've been ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: Part 2 of Citizens' Firearms Class - at the Range

Well, this morning was part 2 of our Citizens' Firearms Class taught by the instructors of the Wetumpka Police Department - range time!

I've been shooting pistols now for over five years, but today I learned a lot:

1. I can hit center mass from 15 yards with a 2'' barrel compact .45

2. I can handle the recoil of a 2'' barrel compact .45

3. I CAN'T manage the recoil of a 2'' barrel compact .45

4. I either need a bigger .45 or a compact 9mm

The first picture is 'just shooting' center mass from 15 yards. I fired 43 rounds of 230gr. FMJ. Notice most of them going low-left. I tried compensating by aiming high and right of the target:

Range ALL.jpg

This picture is trying for accuracy at 15 yards. 7 rounds of 230gr. FMJ and I was again aiming at high and right of the target. Again, low-left.

Range AIM.jpg
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Mano at first glance I think your anticipating recoil, maybe even slapping the trigger. If this is the case, try this dry fire drill. Place a penny on the front of your weapon, then pull the trigger, trying not to bounce the penny off the weapon. Next, at the range have someone load your mag and place a snap cap in the mag, with you not knowing which spot the snap cap will be in. . If you jerk the weapon down, you know that your anticipating recoil.

P.S. to add. Your shots were combat accurate at the range you were shooting....
    mano3 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Well, this morning was part 2 of our Citizens' Firearms Class taught by the instructors of the Wetumpka Police Department - range time!

I've been shooting pistols now for over five years, but today I learned a lot:

1. I can hit center mass from 15 yards with a 2'' barrel compact .45

2. I can handle the recoil of a 2'' barrel compact .45

3. I CAN'T manage the recoil of a 2'' barrel compact .45

4. I either need a bigger .45 or a compact 9mm

The first picture is 'just shooting' center mass from 15 yards. I fired 43 rounds of 230gr. FMJ. Notice most of them going low-left. I tried compensating by aiming high and right of the target:

Range ALL.jpg

This picture is trying for accuracy at 15 yards. 7 rounds of 230gr. FMJ and I was again aiming at high and right of the target. Again, low-left.

Range AIM.jpg
    Remember you are shooting a 2" barrel.

As suggested, it might be you and your technique:
    • Right-handed pistol correction: click.
    • Left-handed pistol correction: click.

Something to consider. Regarding a "snubbie" type gun (revolver or pistol), there's very little change in angle required to send a bullet fairly far off target. And which gun can make all the difference. For example, I suck at aiming with a 2in snubbie revolver, but I'm fairly scary accurate with the little KelTec P3AT, despite the P3AT being far more brutal to my hands than any revolver. Go figure.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yup, I'm anticipating recoil...

I'm going to try the penny trick and may adjust the sights.

I really want to get a full size 1911 or M*P. I shhot those well.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Yup, I'm anticipating recoil...

I'm going to try the penny trick and may adjust the sights.

I really want to get a full size 1911 or M*P. I shhot those well.
    Do the penny trick, then the snap cap trick. I would hate to see you adjust your sights, then fix what was wrong...
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ I agree most emphatically with Harryball - do -NOT- "correct" for what is your shortcomings by "fixing the gun," when there's really nothing to fix but your technique.

I'm lucky that I've got access to a good bunch of instructors/schools in my area. Chris Cerino, Top Shot's Season 1 runner-up, is a former Federal Air Marshal, and he authored this article just a short while ago:

TRAINING TIPS: Need a sight adjustment? Think again! | | TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag – The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

Unless you've benched your gun and it's not shooting where it's sighting, what you need to work on is your technique.

Don't give up. This is something that I have every bit of faith that you can work through.

Conscientious dry-fire practice is a must: at a recent class, top-tier shooter Bob Vogel told us that he shoots only about 10K rounds per year, but guess what? he puts in at least 4 times as much, dry-fire!

My other question relates to your class/instructor(s). Did either of the two try the instructional demonstration where you hold and sight-in the gun, while they press the trigger? This little demonstration will show to you that you've got the right idea when it comes to sight-alignment/sight-picture (that, also, your gun/sights are not at-fault ), and that it's trigger-control that's causing your POI issues. I'm not sure if they tried this exercise with you, given that your class seems to be less about weapons manipulation and marksmanship than it is a more generalized overview/introduction to firearms....

Given that you're amenable to learning in a class atmosphere, I would encourage you to book a few hours with a local pistol instructor/school. Look for either a private lesson or a (very) small-group atmosphere where the instructor-to-student ratio nears 1:2. While you really can learn a lot from various Internet posts, videos, and books, having a good teacher be able to tweak your shooting, live, is well worth the cost - think about it: a couple of hours of range-time and a few hundred rounds of ammo that you'd send downrange can well be offset by class tuition and what will most likely be considerably less ammo consumed. It's a good investment.
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As suggested, it might be you and your technique:
    • Right-handed pistol correction: click.
    • Left-handed pistol correction: click.
    That's a pretty cool link, thanks.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire... can not say it enough. Slow steady trigger pull. Your hammer dropping should pretty much ALWAYS "surprise" you. If you are a right handed shooter, low left shots its most certainly anticipation. Practice dry firing after clearing your weapon obviously, every chance you get. Sit down while watching television and during commercial breaks, dry fire.

Sponsored Links