For you guys that did defensive training class

This is a discussion on For you guys that did defensive training class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends on your purpose for the course. For me, a defensive carry training course that focuses on actual draw, retention, scenarios with the gear and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: For you guys that did defensive training class

Depends on your purpose for the course. For me, a defensive carry training course that focuses on actual draw, retention, scenarios with the gear and clothing the attendees come with, I'm much more interested in working out any kinks in my equipment, carry method and technique. And that means my most-commonly used setup: gun, holster, belt, clothing, jacket, whatever. I'd suggest bringing whichever combination with which you most want to work out the kinks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I use my carry gun, or another with the same manual of arms.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on your purpose for the course. For me, a defensive carry training course that focuses on actual draw, retention, scenarios with the gear and clothing the attendees come with, I'm much more interested in working out any kinks in my equipment, carry method and technique. And that means my most-commonly used setup: gun, holster, belt, clothing, jacket, whatever. I'd suggest bringing whichever combination with which you most want to work out the kinks.
    ^ This is how I see it, too.

The main thing is that it's gotta be similar enough that, under stress, you're not going to confuse one for another (in terms of the manual-of-arms). I think that if you can guaranty this, you're good-to-go.

However:

Is there a benefit, though, to training with what you carry? Undoubtedly. And I believe so strongly in this that I actually got an exact copy (except cosmetics) of my carry gun so that I can dedicate it to training (since training can be somewhat abusive, mechanically and physically to the gun). Why do I believe so strongly in it? because I've actually seen small differences in the way I shoot as well as manipulate the gun, under the stress of class conditions, in going from my full-sized gun to my "compact" sized carry.

In my eyes, it's "best" to be able to use your carry gun, with your usual carry rig, in your usual way of dress (be it a suit or a T-shirt and shorts), but that this ideal doesn't necessarily have to be, for you to get the majority of the benefit from your training, especially if you're worried about undue abuse to your carry gun and gear. If you can afford it, I think that's perhaps the benefit to having two sets of the same gun/gear: so that when the time comes, you'll know *exactly* what to expect.

If you only have the one carry gun, though, you should also remember that it really shouldn't kill it to take one or two one-day classes with it a year. Typically, that'll be 2K rounds at most, and as long as you inspect the vital components and replace the proper consumables (i.e. springs), you should be just fine, on a "carry worthy" gun.

I would take the gun you plan on carrying for the training class.

One of the classes I went to, I had the one I was carrying and a backup that I had not shot much yet in case of a breakage. The instructor told me later that he was not happy that the backup I brought, I had not shot it or, iho, would not have been comfortable with.

From other classes, the word was always train the way you plan on carrying. If concealed, then have the proper concealed carry clothes, cover garment, holster, etc.

If a Tac class or some thing else where it doesn't make a difference, then I would carry with the gun I felt the most comfortable with and the one that I knew would be able to handle the 700-2000 rounds in the class. It is very embarrassing to have a well known brand gun brake during a training class, but have no issues with regular range shooting.

My class is a 3 day Carbine/Pistol class with Larry Vickers. I use all 3 guns for carry so I think I will be OK with any of them. I have 13 magazines for the G23/G27 and 18 magazines for the G19. I think I will just load up all the mags and shoot all 3 in the class.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by jhon View Post
    One of the classes I went to, I had the one I was carrying and a backup that I had not shot much yet in case of a breakage.
    Always important with a course, as anything can happen. BTDT, myself, and having a spare was invaluable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    My class is a 3 day Carbine/Pistol class with Larry Vickers. I use all 3 guns for carry so I think I will be OK with any of them. I have 13 magazines for the G23/G27 and 18 magazines for the G19. I think I will just load up all the mags and shoot all 3 in the class.
    I would even take the LCR you have listed down there as a carry gun.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

It shouldn’t matter; you're training not the gun. The gun won’t remember anything.

Our class let you bring whatever you wanted, from handguns to long guns.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

You have G23 and G27 both .40. I would take both, start with the 27 since it can use both G23 and G27 mags. Should something go south on the 27, you would have the 23 which is basically the same grip and such only a little longer. Guns do fail sometimes. Even Glocks can break a spring.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Did you use your carry gun or some thing else for the class. I am taking a gun training class this month and still don't know what gun to use. Glock 23, Glock 19 or Glock 27. Shoot the G19 a little quicker, I like the trigger on the G23 more but G27 carries the best.
    All the firearms you mention sound about the same, so I don't think it matters which you use.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    Always bring a spare! Especially if using a Glock. You can not BELIEVE the amount of abuse you will get if one of them goes down in the middle of things.

Any of your regular carry options should be fine. Just remember, you are looking for failure points in your "system". Expect to be dissapointed in at least one piece of equipment (and quite possibly in your skills as well). That is what training is all about.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Well I have decided to start with the G23 than use the G27 on the last day.

cj
    Really depends on the class and number of rounds. Some high round count classes I've taken, I've been glad to have some nice, higher capacity magazines as it felt like I was constantly reloading as it was. Can't imagine having had to carry double the number of magazines if I'd taken, for example, a Shield. Sounds like with your choice, it will be just fine no matter what the class.

The class is only 600 pistol rounds and 600 carbine rounds. I shoot that many rounds in 2 days normally.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    It shouldn’t matter; you're training not the gun. The gun won’t remember anything.
    I agree with that.

My 2 day class was about a 600 round count and the people with the tiny carry guns and awkward IWB holsters had the hardest time. The guy with the compact 1911 with aggressive texturing got bad blisters and those without night sights had a hard time in the low light class.

Personally, I wasn't using the class for training, per se. What I was doing was learning skills. Proper trigger control, holstering technique, drawing technique. How to behave in certain scenarios, etc. We did a lot of drills. We learned speed reloading techniques. We learned how to clear malfunctions. Everything I learned is something I can practice with my full size Sig, or my carry Kahr P9.

In my opinion, once you have the skills down you should be able to train on your own time with any gun. The skills are entirely transferable.

Having said that, if you believe your carry gun system is ergonomic enough for the round count you're going to do, then go ahead and use it.
    TSiWRX likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links