A few pics of weak-hand drill

This is a discussion on A few pics of weak-hand drill within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We got to do a bit of shooting earlier today, and I took the opportunity to run through some basic one-hand and weak-hand drills. Now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few pics of weak-hand drill

VIP Member

A few pics of weak-hand drill

We got to do a bit of shooting earlier today, and I took the opportunity to run through some basic one-hand and weak-hand drills.

Now that the weather's starting to cool down a bit, I can conceal my CZ 75c.

I did one-hand drills from the 10 yard line, drawing from my bellyband holster. I did a few firing from retention drills from the 3 yard line. And then I ran a few drills, drawing from bellyband and firing while retreating. Call me nuts, instead of wanting to retreat from the "attacking target," I always want to charge it (but I don't). Maybe it's a sense of "if I'm going to stop him, I'm going to do it with all my claws drawn," like a small songbird attacking a bird of prey to defend its nest.

I like the way the gun "peels" from my bellyband. I don't have to draw straight up to unholster. The downside is the bellyband gets yanked up and looks like a mess, but that's a small issue.

Next I switched to my weak hand, shoving my right hand down in my pocket so I wouldn't be tempted to "assist" with it. It simulates an injury where I have no choice but to use my weak hand.

Drawing a right-hand positioned gun with the left hand is not fun. I have long hair, which is like running into a bunch of cobwebs. In this picture, you can see my error where I placed my trigger finger outside my bellyband, resulting in a very clumsy grip.

In this next picture is the corrected unholstering, where the trigger finger was placed between the bellyband and my skin. When unholstered, the hand gripped the gun firmly and finger landed alongside the frame where it's supposed to be.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Excellent Betty...thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, many folks either neglect or are unable to perform (due to range restrictions) this level of training, which is, as far as I am concerned, a critical skill set.

You're right, it's not fun to draw with a gun from a strong-side holster only using your weakhand which is why it's gotta be done....attempting an unknown or little practiced skill when you need to do it for real is muy malo (very bad).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    Interesting photos and observations. Thanks Betty.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Nice , I practice stepping off line RT -LH while drawing and firing. Also drawing while dropping to simulate a shove. Firing prone can be a challege as well.
    Anyone who has access to a private range , I suggest trying to shoot , draw , reload from as many positions as possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - thx from me too Betty. Not only interesting pics but a good reminder to us all to take care to make these drills part of our practice routines. Fortunately both local (small) ranges enable me to do any drills and often I have the place to myself

As my carry is about 3.00 - my weak hand draw from that has to be from front - darned awkward and requires a sorta flick/spin to aquire grip and shooting hold. I doubt we can exclude any seemingly wierd draw approaches as all just might be possibles one day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

One Comment...One Question

Practicing with the weak hand makes a lot of sense...few do it enough.

How did you manage to set up a small range in (I'm assuming) your yard? You either have great neighbors or a large parcel of land with the appropriate background.

Stay safe

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good report Betty. Thanks for showing the pics. Do you also carry extra mags when using the bellyband? If so, where?
    Last edited by mkeBob; September 17th, 2006 at 11:38 PM.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Very cool write up and drills. Practicality at its best. I am especially fond of that off hand draw with the sim injury.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Lead Moderator
    the real trick for me is weak hand draw and firing the gun upside down , with my pinky on the trigger. Hard to shoot too accurate that way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice work, Betty! Thanks for the info.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

My weak hand draw is to my BUG which is on my left side. Being a person of, shall we say, broad stature, I find it impossible to access my main gun with my left hand. Old age spread makes one rethink tactics.

Great stuff Betty! I actually trained like this last weekend at a combat/low light class. It was excellent and a great way to practice.

Nice photos as well, your little range looks pretty cool, I would like to have that in my back yard, I'm working on it!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    mkeBob,
    The Ace Case bellyband has two mag slots at the 11 o'clock position. It really depends on what gun I'm carrying and what season it is if I use them - I can easily conceal a speed strip, but larger magazines, unless it's fall-winter and I've got a bulkier top on, make me look like I've got "weird bulges." If the extra mag isn't on me, it's in the "mag pouch" on my purse.

The range is actually at my parents' house, they have over 100 acres in the country where the sounds of gunshots don't bother anybody but the cows. We can shoot from that particular set-up to around 50 yards, anything longer we just walk back to the hills.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thanks for the reply Betty.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Nice work there. I know several guys who carry and have for many years who used to think I was talking non-sense when I did a full range session weak hand going through all of the movements until one of them was a passenger in a car that was broadsided and his right arm was in a cast.

This is just one of my criteria for a gun and holster set up. All of my carry pieces must have ambi-safties, and once I find a holster I like for strongside, I tend to get the same in a weak side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links