CCW Course in VA Beach

CCW Course in VA Beach

This is a discussion on CCW Course in VA Beach within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have done other firearms courses in the past but I have completed my first concealed carry class despite being a CCer since 1998. It ...

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Cool CCW Course in VA Beach

I have done other firearms courses in the past but I have completed my first concealed carry class despite being a CCer since 1998. It was at C2 Shooting Center and taught by Kent Mote, the founder and head instructor and he is a great instructor who not only knows his material and has been there and done that. We started at 11AM and ended at around 6PM. It began with 3 hrs. of classroom instruction and then the remaining 4 hrs. of range time doing combat shooting from the draw (fired almost 200 rds. total), doing malfunction drills, and then ending it with a man vs. man competition in which each student goes against another student in speed shooting contests using reactive steel plate targets. Other things covered in the course besides basic gun safety are Virginia CCW/gun/use of force laws, the 21 ft. rule (Tueller Drill), combat shooting stance (isosceles), IPSC shooting grip, sight acquisition, breath control, defensive mindset, how to apply for a CC permit, various carry methods, types of handguns, ancillary weapons, defensive shooting aftermath (what to do), and bullet physics/stopping power. We also looked at a lot of internet videos of actual firearms incidents/self-defense situation involving guns. I had a great time and got the certificate that same Saturday. It is a great refresher and also an opportunity to live fire my H&K USP .40 while drawing from the holster. And next, it will be the advanced CC course. For anyone who lives in Hampton Roads and is working on getting his/her first handgun and/or CC permit, this is highly recommended and the best in the area.

Congrats on beginning your training. See how much fun you've been missing?

I am not familiar with the school or instructor but I am familiar with the fact that far too many never take the step you took. Just remember that training is a perishable skill. Use it or loose it.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

NC requires a 10-hr course with range time and a shooting/loading test. I learned more that day than any other in probably the last, IDK, 10, 20 years. I plan to take some advanced courses in the near future. I'd love to take one of those LEO courses where you run around and shoot stuff that pops out at you!

Links