defense carry shooting help

This is a discussion on defense carry shooting help within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you don't aim and shoot when you are protecting your life in a spur of a moment. i know there are 4day schools ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: defense carry shooting help

defense carry shooting help

I know you don't aim and shoot when you are protecting your life in a spur of a moment. i know there are 4day schools i can go to and this is impossible for me. so the next best thing is videos or books that i can purchase. Any suggestions will be appreciated
    thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

If you don't aim how do you know where your bullet is going?

VIP Member
    Actually, people often do "aim & shoot" in the heat of the moment. I've read many stories where the LEO can remember seeing the front sight of their pistol with such clarity that they could see the flaws in the grooves.

Point-shooting is a good skill to have, and I can do it properly some of the time. Granted a point-shoot is better than none, but if I have the split second to put the front sight on them, I will.

Jerry Miculek has some really helpful "how to" online videos out there. I was able to refine my snubby skills from one of them.

VIP Member
    I certainly aim before I shoot.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

You need to get into the woods and pound away at some paint cans. Practice shooting on the move. Not just forwards or backwards. Rolling gets you extra points.

Quote Originally Posted by swmshoot View Post
    I know you don't aim and shoot when you are protecting your life in a spur of a moment. i know there are 4day schools i can go to and this is impossible for me. so the next best thing is videos or books that i can purchase. Any suggestions will be appreciated
    thanks
    Videos,
    Magpul
    Rob Pincus
    Suerez International
    Larry Vickers
    Paul Howe

Books,
    Anything from Massod Ayoob
    Anything From Lt. Col David Grossman..

Hope this gets you started.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    You need to get into the woods and pound away at some paint cans. Practice shooting on the move. Not just forwards or backwards. Rolling gets you extra points.
    For "Rolling" instructional videos, I suggest Star Trek TOS - Shatner was the Rolling Master! (queue the fight music!)
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Harryball's list is good and you can add Tactical Response to the list. There is a longer list in another area of this web site. There are schools that have 2 day courses and travel around the country. Go get on some of their websites and look at their schedules. I have done 4 2 day schools and 1 1 day course in the last 3 years. I drove to the classes early the day of and only had one night in a hotel.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Try taping off both your front and rear sights - use masking tape: you may need to pull off your first try and re-attempt to stick the tape to the sights (rinse and repeat as-necessary) based on how greased or dirty your gun is.

Attempt to "blow through" your sights. Hard-focus on the target, not your gun.

You will most likely, at the beginning, need to adjust your grip as well as presentation/stance.

Start at 3 yards or whatever feels comfortable for you, do it as a Bill drill, and walk back your distance as you gain proficiency. Start with the gun already on-target, then go to whatever "ready" position you usually use, then go to the holster.

This isn't "point shooting," but rather, is "instinctive shooting." Usually, it's a drill designed to get the shooter to focus on the trigger technique, grip, and presentation/stance - but it also well-simulates what happens when your eyes tunnel to that biological "threat-to-infinity" state, under critical stress (I do not completely disagree with WHEC624's reply, and do indeed also believe in the after-action-reports of individuals who stated that they were able to see their front sights with extreme clarity under critical stress, however, I believe that such instances are the exception rather than the norm due to the biological reaction of our brain/eyes to such events - my belief is that these individuals were either a true biological exception or, alternatively, they have been conditioned to such stresses: i.e. their training kicked in - stress inoculation). I feel that this drill is a viable "bridge" for many beginning shooters to start towards point-shooting, and what's more, also helps further ingrain some of the fundamentals.

My personal belief is that there's a time for sighted fire (the semi-unconscious "flash sight picture," for me, is lumped-in, here, too) - and that there's also a time and place for point-shooting.
    Beans likes this.

VIP Member
    With point shooting you are "aiming" in a sense you are simply doing it by indexing your body position to align it with the target.

As has been stated if possible you would always like to use your sights the way I was trained and train others today is to begin with indexing to the target and begin firing all the while raising the weapon or "fighting your way to the sights". Obviously distance from the target will dicate how far you bring the weapon up.

As Tricolordad stated practice shooting and moving to the rear and back also side to side. Distance and movement is always your friend in times of trouble. Get the fundementals down first then move up to the shooting and moving.

The videos listed are good and I would add our own DRM to the list. I watched some of his stuff while home and he teaches this specifically.
    Last edited by tacman605; August 8th, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by swmshoot View Post
    thanks
    Not going to play with the words you chose as some have. We know what you mean. At a range for points on paper you do a serious aim to acquire the target.
    The Type of target acquisition you use in a fast SD situation is different.
    Acquiring center mass with just front site and your grip on the weapon just takes time and some rounds down range. Your grip and how it is lined up with your fore arm is the key to hit center mass every time with a quick short range shot or group of shots.
    Long before you spend cash putting round on paper work on your grip, until you get that down you will be all over the place one time you on the next off.
    Old way It was put to me extend your arm point your finder it will be right on you have been doing this sense you were a child. You can learn to do the same thing with your hand gun.
    Some find using a laser in the house is great practice.
    The two Whoppo posted are great and you don't have to pay a lot.

I like the laserlyte laser trainers, you can learn point and shoot from a holster and or your bed , couch and any other place. they are about 85 buck and so far have made a big improvement on my draw and shoot skills because it shoots a beam of light at what you are aiming at do it is not a guess if you would have hit it'

I set a timer and when it goes off I shoot at a tee shirt hanging in one of the rooms and get my woman to do it then you have to search it out. This gives you a chance to maneuver around and see what works in what areas like rounding corners and dealing with "NO" shoot zones (places where someone one the other side of the wall can get hurt)

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    If you don't aim how do you know where your bullet is going?
    Comes with practice. At a certain point with enough repetition you will find that your bullet goes where you are looking.

Michael

Links