Some things to ponder in regards to your training and abilities

This is a discussion on Some things to ponder in regards to your training and abilities within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this link on another forum and thought it might be relavant here. It is a pretty good read. Dunning "Awards Dunning and Kruger ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaDawg
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru

Thread: Some things to ponder in regards to your training and abilities

VIP Member

I found this link on another forum and thought it might be relavant here. It is a pretty good read.

Dunning

"Awards
    Dunning and Kruger were awarded the 2000 Ig Nobel Prize in Psychology for their report, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"."

Ain't that the truth: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments.
    Mike1956, TSiWRX, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

This statement from the report sums it up for me...

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge
    You should never stop learning, at any level, with any craft......
    Ionracas likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

that is what we refer to as "head up the butt” syndrome

I saw that syndrome all of the time. Every person I ever me that said that they could be a Ranger, SeAL, Green Beret, Marine Recon, but never tried was like that. And they would be the first ones on an internet forum claiming they could have taken out the Aurora shooter in one shot.
    tacman605 likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    That's a good summary of our culture where kids are told they are wonderful at everything and perfect in every way rather than being shown their faults and how to correct them to be better in the future. Good read.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This statement from the report sums it up for me...

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge
    You should never stop learning, at any level, with any craft......
    Excellent point. A significant challenge for any individual learning a new craft, is that there is a point where they reach a level of ability that leads them to believe they have achieved proficiency. When in reality, they've yet to cross the chasm of ignorance to the epiphany that they've only scratched the surface.

Here is the good news; "recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill".
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

[QUOTE=suntzu;2349631]I saw that syndrome all of the time. Every person I ever me that said that they could be a Ranger, SeAL, Green Beret, Marine Recon, but never tried was like that. And they would be the first ones on an internet forum claiming they could have taken out the Aurora shooter in one shot.[/QUOTE

"Warriors may be forged in the fires of battle but heroes are discovered in the most unlikely of places." ... never give up, never surender
    Harryball likes this.

Sponsored Links